The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2024, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Default THE Gibson Hummingbird Vintage

So I purchased a Gibson Hummingbird Vintage from a fellow AGF'r a week ago n thought I would share my impressions. Visually, the guitar is stunning....the burst VOS finish starts out soft brown and works its way into a soft redish rust color. Not sure of the weight (4.7 lbs.??) but oh my, its easy to handle. Pickguard has been worn a bit from use but it adds to the "vintage" karma. Playing this thing: Hands down the easiest playing guitar I have owned. Bar chords all the way up the neck are never going to intimidate again. I can both fingerpick and strum this versatile instrument without any hesitations. The sound of this guitar....I wish there was a word to describe. Soft n woody comes to mind. Note separation is excellent. Not sure if I got lucky or if these traits are common with this model. Gibson has some secret mojo going on with this thing....no idea what it is?
Old 04-05-2024, 07:26 AM

Nice score. Hummingbirds are really nice guitars.
Congrats
Gibson SJ200
Old 04-05-2024, 07:43 AM

Cool, congrats!
I received yesterday a brand new Gibson Orignal Hummingbird Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Absolutely stunning. Have not had the chance to play it in greater detail but am hoping it sounds and feels like you describe!
Old 04-05-2024, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Not all Hummingbirds are equal. I’d say that about the whole Gibson line and I own a Hummingbird and a Dove. It really helps if you can play the instrument before buying but I understand that’s not an option for a lot of folks. But it really helps weed out the duds. A lot of Birds are very quiet and meek sounding. To find the loud throaty ones you have to play them first.

Anyway I’m glad you got a good one. They are amazing guitars. Enjoy!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 04-05-2024, 12:35 PM

I truly love my Hummingbird Vintage. Here's a pic of mine, although this picture doesn't do it justice.

( @ )===:::
Old 04-05-2024, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I'd LOVE to find a killer-sounding Hummingbird. We occasionally get them at one of the local GC's, but that's about it. Cue usual remarks about dead strings and metalheads playing on an amp in the acoustic room. None of the nicer stores in this area have Gibsons.

Anyway. CONGRATS on the new guitar!!
Old 04-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I used to own one. It’s the only guitar that I can say was the best I ever owned. Congrats…
Old 04-05-2024, 04:57 PM

I love, love, love my Hummingbird 1960 Fixed Bridge. Hummingbird Vintage was its predecessor. I’ve heard people describe the tone as everything from sweet, honey, nectar, chorusy, to syrupy. It’s definitely got a distinct thing going on. The looks are a love it or hate it kind of thing. I’ve been playing Gibsons since the 80s so I definitely fall into that Gen X Gibson player stereotype. But who cares? I’m perfectly happy with my Gibsons!
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 04-05-2024, 05:07 PM

Shame on you OP for inducing gas. Shame, shame, shame. Pffft.

But, enjoy it and play in good health! I need one...
Old 04-05-2024, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

I went to Fullers in Houston today with the idea that I was going to play their 1960 Fixed Bridge Custom Shop Hummingbirds (5 in total) and play a handful of the ten 1952 J-185s that they had. For A/B purposes I pulled down a D-41 which is the same price range. I thought the Custom Shop Gibsons all sounded good - some a little better than others. The best of the birds sounded better than the J-185, which surprised me.

What I could not get into is the very rough looking VOS finishes on these guitars. Its not even as good looking as satin. Its more like a roughed up base coat of lacquer that never had the orange peel sanded out. I didn’t like the finishes at all. The colors are good, its the utter mess of a top coat that I objected to. For $5k+, I’m sorry but polished to a high gloss is my first choice, satin a distant second. This new VOS look is not for me. The Fullers luthier told me he had polished one with Virtuoso to get off something someone had gotten on the guitar. It made a nice shiny spot on the otherwise dull finish. They had to send it back to Montana to get the finished re-dulled….

But - good news, I bought the D-41.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I went to Fullers in Houston today with the idea that I was going to play their 1960 Fixed Bridge Custom Shop Hummingbirds (5 in total) and play a handful of the ten 1952 J-185s that they had. For A/B purposes I pulled down a D-41 which is the same price range. I thought the Custom Shop Gibsons all sounded good - some a little better than others. The best of the birds sounded better than the J-185, which surprised me.

What I could not get into is the very rough looking VOS finishes on these guitars. Its not even as good looking as satin. Its more like a roughed up base coat of lacquer that never had the orange peel sanded out. I didn’t like the finishes at all. The colors are good, its the utter mess of a top coat that I objected to. For $5k+, I’m sorry but polished to a high gloss is my first choice, satin a distant second. This new VOS look is not for me. The Fullers luthier told me he had polished one with Virtuoso to get off something someone had gotten on the guitar. It made a nice shiny spot on the otherwise dull finish. They had to send it back to Montana to get the finished re-dulled….

But - good news, I bought the D-41.
I get it. First time I saw the new NOS finish was on a Historic 1942 Banner J-45 and I was like WTF? The pebbled, heavy orange peel is off-putting when you first see it and looks like a finish mistake. Maybe years from now, people will look at it as another classic Gibson mistake. But the guitars are undeniably well made and sound and play great. And you get used to it; even come to like it for what it is. I bought mine used so it was considerably less than the price of a new D-41 and given the choice, I probably would have gone for a D-41 - hell of a nice guitar. Congrats!

1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.

Last edited by dilver; 04-05-2024 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
I get it. First time I saw the new NOS finish was on a Historic 1942 Banner J-45 and I was like WTF? The pebbled, heavy orange peel is off-putting when you first see it and looks like a finish mistake. Maybe years from now, people will look at it as another classic Gibson mistake. But the guitars are undeniably well made and sound and play great. And you get used to it; even come to like it for what it is. I bought mine used so it was considerably less than the price of a new D-41 and given the choice, I probably would have gone for a D-41 - hell of a nice guitar. Congrats!

That is exactly what I saw today on the finishes. The guitars played great and sounded great, but I was expected more out of a $5k list price guitar. I fully intended to but either 1952 J-185 or the Hummingbird Fixed Bridge, but I was expecting a traditional Gibson NOS finish, not all the orange peel..
Old 04-06-2024, 03:17 AM

Congratulations on your excellent guitar.
Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage was the best guitar I owned. Sadly I sold it because of financial reasons.
That guitar was the only one that I've ever tried in store and thought 'nothing else comes close to it'.
And even on that day there were other Gibson Hummingbird (the standard version), Martin and Taylor guitars I played and they were very good but not special.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion