The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2023, 02:41 PM

I've played some fantastic Martins from the 40s to early 60s, but I don't get the love for current production. Coming to guitars in the past 10 years or so I think there's an old Martin mystique that affects some ears.

I have yet to play a recent production-line Martin that I would trade straight-up for one of my Eastman's. With Eastman I've never had to deal with a binding separation, buy a hard-shell case when the guitar only came with a gig bag, deal with the horrible tuners shipped on a CEO-7, or worry about long wait times for warranty repairs. Martin makes fine guitars though if you find a good one and know what you're getting into.

Are Eastmans the best guitars out there? No. But for the money Martin wants for standard series I'd be (and am) looking at used and new models from smaller makers that truly are better. Now I'll still play my way through Gruhn's on every visit to Nashville, but even there it's usually the Larrivees that stand out.

As always, the best way to get a better sounding guitar is to practice more! Good luck with your search!
Old 11-07-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Order a Halcyon and be patient or find a used one. I think you'd be happier than with either the Martin you could afford or an Eastman.
Gonna let my hair down here: my Halcyon smokes every Martin and Eastman I have ever played...but it SHOULD! It's a handmade instrument. And Brick is correct, you can have one for a steal if you're patient and buy used.

Hair back up: Eastman and Martin both make excellent guitars. I've owned each brand, and I think many people would be totally happy with either...I just prefer my Halcyon. Amazing value.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:05 PM

Default Easy answer

I suggest that you go with the Canadian heritage of a Larrivee. I have Martin guitars that are exceptional. I have Larrivee guitars that are exceptional. I have no Eastman guitars that are exceptional. The last sentence is because I've never owned an Eastman. I've heard they can be exceptional.
Old 11-07-2023, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps this video will help you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxuBQ5UjGeQ

As for an off the rack guitar, I go to Guild first.
Old 11-07-2023, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

I had never tried an Eastman until I visited The Portland Music Company a couple of years ago. I don't remember what the models were, but I played three guitars in a row, all in the $1500-1800 price range. Two were dreads and one was an OM. I was decidedly underwhelmed with all three. They all had a very muffled voice, like they were stuffed with cotton. I would take my 000-15SM over any of them.

If you have access to them, take a look at Blueridge. They're in the same general league as Eastman. Mine was a very pleasant surprise for me. Incredible sound at a price that is well within your budget.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 11-07-2023, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Save up for a Martin. You won't regret it.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 11-08-2023, 08:57 AM

For that price, you'd get a lower-end in the Martin guitar lineup vs the Eastman. Kind of like cars: top of line model of cheaper brand vs lower end model from expensive brand.

Based on my experience, for best economic sense (i.e. getting best value for money), is to stay in the middle in each brand's lineup. This seems to be where the brands focus most of their competitive efforts (against other similar brands).
Old 11-08-2023, 11:03 AM

I'm sure Martin guitars are very good instruments, but reading on the spec sheet that their necks are made out of hardwood always made me feel uncomfortable.

It is my ignorance for sure, but spending 3000 + for a hardwood neck doesn't sound good in my head.
Old 11-08-2023, 11:29 AM

what type of neck profile are you wanting in addition to build quality opinions?... depth, thick or thin? means a lot
Old 11-08-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmo View Post
I'm sure Martin guitars are very good instruments, but reading on the spec sheet that their necks are made out of hardwood always made me feel uncomfortable.

It is my ignorance for sure, but spending 3000 + for a hardwood neck doesn't sound good in my head.
The most common wood for acoustic guitar necks by just about any builder is mahogany, which is a hardwood.

A lot of very high priced electric guitars have maple necks. Another hardwood.

Why do you think hardwoods are a bad choice for necks?
Old 11-08-2023, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBman View Post
Save up for a Martin. You won't regret it.
Your criteria:

good quality - Martin and Eastman
tone - subjective
value for price - subjective

You have to figure this out on your own unfortunately or you will end up with a guitar someone else wants.

Good luck but dont listen to anyone but yourself. You may have to buy and return a few. It's the process but in the end, dont stew over it too much or you will lose valuable amounts of time researching instead of actually playing : )
Old 11-08-2023, 01:05 PM

I have owned 5 Eastman guitars and 2 Martin instruments. I think they are both good brands. I have sold all 7 instruments and I have ended up re-buying the same two Martin instruments I sold. I just find the Martin instrument more responsive for fingerstyle playing. The Martin spruce top has as much and more sustain than an Eastman Adi top instrument. And I do like that Martin instruments weigh less than all the Eastman instruments I have owned. And you can't beat the Martin brand for resale.

Eastman:
805CE
E-20oo
E-30OM Double Top
E-508CE
E=10DL

Martin:
D-15 Street Master
DSS-17

Last edited by William2; 11-09-2023 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

I agree with ChrisE.

I like Eastmans… especially the cedar “2’s”.

But in my 40years of play I’ve never heard or played one that I’d prefer over its Martin equivalent. They are good and even great guitars. But an E8 is not a 000-28, and an E10 is not a D18, an E10ss is not a J45, and so on…..

If you are even making the comparison in your head, get the Martin.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post

Why do you think hardwoods are a bad choice for necks?
Hardwoods are not a bad choice for necks. But mentioning hadrwood as the neck wood in your spec sheet is a way to avoid committing on the wood you ll use. Nevertheless i don't really care as i dont think Martin would ever use something other than the family of mahogany (including african , sipo ect) for their necks inbtheir standard line.
Old 11-09-2023, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
For that price, you'd get a lower-end in the Martin guitar lineup vs the Eastman. Kind of like cars: top of line model of cheaper brand vs lower end model from expensive brand.

Based on my experience, for best economic sense (i.e. getting best value for money), is to stay in the middle in each brand's lineup. This seems to be where the brands focus most of their competitive efforts (against other similar brands).
I'm guessing you've never tried a Martin Special 16 dread. It's around $1700 USD new after the standard 15% discount & taxes and is every bit the equal of an HD-28 but with simpler aesthetics. In fact, I have recently owned two different HD-28's and in both cases my Special 16 sounded slightly better...I ended up selling both HD-28's. There isn't a better value in the current Martin lineup (yes, I'm counting special order models) and this guitar smokes any Eastman I've played in the same price range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, choosing a guitar, eastman, martin