The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2024, 06:09 PM

Default Guitar Apocalypse

There is a video on YouTube called Used Guitar Apocalypse . A shop called Gary’s Guitars is explaining that used guitars are not bringing much. Amplifiers , everyone is going to smaller and smaller amplifiers . He talks about don’t believe the advertised prices on Reverb or ebay. He says they aren’t selling . He is avoiding consignments unless he can make money. He said the market is flooded with used equipment . He also says people don’t have CASH anymore and this hurts the used market the social media like Craiglist , Facebook or the individual seller

Last edited by egordon99; 03-13-2024 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Please review the rules.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Gary has a point. A good point. A cashless point.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Apocalypse...

In our current media environment there is lots of money to make claiming to see the coming apocalypse or quoting an expert who predicted the last apocalypse who is predicting the next apocalypse. Just keep in mind: Predictions are difficult. Especially about the future!

I saw this exact scenario back in 2008/2009 but we don't seem to be anywhere near that yet.

My thoughts.

Cheers, Doug
Old 03-13-2024, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Psy ops on his clientele aiming to push their expectations below market (not that a $3000 Marshall stack at mid pandemic is going to make sense at more than $1000 on consignment today).
Old 03-13-2024, 08:34 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

That video popped up on my YouTube feed a week or so ago. Thought about posting it here…but he seemed to be talking mainly about electrics and relatively inexpensive acoustics. The clickbate title soured me, too. So I passed. Until now. WATCH the video then judge it for yourself, folks…though I know there are already baked in opinions on this by some (many?).

Last edited by Rev Roy; 03-13-2024 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-13-2024, 08:40 PM

I think a lot of post pandemic hobbyist equipment is flooding the market. The cash point is very good. It's not easy to even withdraw enough cash at one time to pay for a good guitar. And some folks are worried about getting knocked in the head if they bring cash. The scams near me are crazy. It's to the point where I wouldn't consider buying a guitar or something "relatively" expensive from an unknown individual.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:00 PM

I have bought a couple guitars locally here in Houston and Austin with no problem . It seems if you have the cash , sellers negotiate.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
Psy ops on his clientele aiming to push their expectations below market
Quite possible. His business is buy low, sell high. So he tells people he's buying from that the market is dead and the people he's selling to that the market is hot. But why make a video that goes out to buyers and sellers alike?

Alternative explanation: his prices are too high (lots of people are still trying to get 2021 prices) and he sees a dead market when it's only dead for him — because the market clearing price is lower than his price and he needs to adjust downward.

Lots of gear is still selling, just keep an eye on the AGF forums and watch listings get deleted, or marked sold, sometimes same day. But it has to be priced right.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

I can't say I disagree with him, but I don't see the number of guitars on Reverb climbing. Facts always get in the way of opinions.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-14-2024, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Offhand, i would guess that demographics suggests that a guitar crash is coming, if not already here. But data is more important than theory. Does anyone have any data regarding the state of guitar sales, even knowledge about whether more or fewer new acoustic guitars (particularly less expensive models) are selling -- e.g., are Martin and Taylor making more or fewer guitars these days?

Last edited by rlgph; 03-14-2024 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

When the real apocalypse comes I sure will be glad I have all these guitars. Going to need them to beat up the zombies.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-14-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post

Lots of gear is still selling, just keep an eye on the AGF forums and watch listings get deleted, or marked sold, sometimes same day. But it has to be priced right.
Exactly - based on lots of factors, it has to be priced right. This is something I see nearly everywhere now. Seems there is a widespread insistence (by individuals and dealers) that used guitars - across the price/quality/age/condition spectrum - retain more of their original price and market value than they actually do. In some cases, this disparity is … surprising.

And all the while, guitar makers keep churning out new ones.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

If I had a dollar for every BS line I ever heard at a guitar store….. I could probably buy a nice guitar.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
When the real apocalypse comes I sure will be glad I have all these guitars. Going to need them to beat up the zombies.

LoL! Make sure you got a Tele! Best zombie basher out there!
Old 03-14-2024, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
You can trade them for food and toilet paper. Marketing fear has been the ploy of lots of industries. That someone is using fear to sell guitars, didn't we hear this just a few years ago here during the pandemic? Buy them while you can, you won't be able to in the future.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 03-14-2024 at 03:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion