The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-07-2004, 07:16 AM

Default Acrylic nails problem

Hi, folks,

Here's a question for the fingerstyle players with acrylic nails.

I've been getting separation of the acrylic and real nails at the tips. It looks like little semi-circles, usually going no further back than the flesh underneath the nails. It doesn't affect my playing, but my nail tech is baffled as to why it's happening and what to do about it.

Is this happening to anyone else here at the forum?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

That happens to me when I whack the end of the nail on something pretty hard and often when it is an end-on blow. Because the end of the nail is cantilevered, it is more flexible than the rest of the nail over the quick. The real nail is more flexible than the acrylic as well and will flex during a blow while the acrylic holds steady. It usually hurts, too, because the acrylic transmits the shock like the solid it is!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-07-2004, 04:59 PM

I kept hearing acrylinc nails were bad for your nails---so I bought a bunch of anil polish and found the best kind.

I found that Sally Hanson's "Teflon Tuff" polish works extremely well. doesn't crack, and you can play within 2 or 3 hours. I usually put it on before I go to bed, and I'm good the next morning. $6 a bottle, not bad for a bottle that will last you about a half year of weekly applications.

just make sure your nails are in good shape---mine keep cracking and they're extremely thin from when I used to play with nothing protecting my nails.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the input, guys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell