The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2022, 04:00 AM

Default I need an advice for some parlor tuners

Good morning everybody!

Recently I bought an old german parlor to restore it.
When I cleaned the tuners I first let them rest in vinegar to remove all rust and dirt, and brush them after.
Unfortunately after removing them after a 24 hours dive i washed them but forghot to dry them so they got rusty again.
After this I put them once again in vinegar to remove rust BUT two major problem occured:

1.The layer of brass coating started to fell of leaving me with plain iron tuners, wich is not so bad since they loom good too

2. The tuners knobs are made of bone and during the resting in vinegar the rust that came off the tuners stained the knobs, so now the knobs have some small dark dots/stains on them.
My question is : since Hydrogen peroxide is used to clean/whiten bone, can I apply a bit of it on the knobs, mayne with a cottons swab?

Many thanks to who can answer!

Have good day!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion