The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2022, 04:08 PM

Default Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner VS Collings CJ-45t

Between Santa Cruz VS / Collings CJ-45t Which would you choose? between the 2? Or would you go more personal smaller luthier option such as Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopps, John Walker, etc?
Old 02-10-2022, 04:36 PM

That is some hard choices!
Old 02-10-2022, 04:51 PM

I know right? I'm doing a lot of research right now, so far all the gathered information shows that H&D DS Crossroads seems like the best of those choices but then again I've only done 2 hours of research.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:58 PM

A used Collings CJ-35 with a German top. Great guitar, but it seems to be overshadowed by the new model.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:12 PM

Honestly this is not what you're going to want to hear but they're all three voiced pretty differently. And not only from out-front, as a listener (which is what you'll hear when you listen to YouTube and website review videos) but also from a player perspective. I've played two VSs and one CJ45 and they were pretty different sounding from the player's perspective.

Also their necks are very different, and for some people that's just as big a decision factor as sound.

I know it's hard to find all three in one city, let alone one shop, but you either should make the effort to try and play in person as many as you can, or just choose one and don't look back.

All three makers (SCGC, H&D and Collings) turn out fantastic instruments with regularity so the chances of you getting a dud are low.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 02-10-2022, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Default CJ45T

I played one a couple days ago. It’s the reason I posted my Martin J-35 for sale.
…and myTriumph motorcycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A525D7B1-265E-41EB-A08D-5C7E485E819F.jpg (66.9 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by cliff_the_stiff; 02-10-2022 at 07:44 PM. Reason: additional emphasis was needed
Old 02-10-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkimk View Post
....but then again I've only done 2 hours of research.
By research, do you mean listening to youtube recording and reading specs?

You've listed 5+ excellent brands. I don't have experience with all of them, but will just say that the Santa Cruz VS has been my go-to for 10 years. I love it, and have an affinity for SCGC guitars in general. Will you love it? I have no idea.

But then you knew some responders would say that you have to play a few.

The good news is -- among these guitars -- you're most likely going to like whichever one you order.

Enjoy the quest.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:11 PM

I am after exactly this kind of sound:

But Kopp k35 is not available till May 2023 and I don't have the time and the patience.

Any alternative recommendations?

Old 02-11-2022, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

I have owned five Gibsons: J45TV, J45 Standard, J35 Fullers, J35 Vintage, J35 Reissue. I have also had two Collings, a CJ35G and a baked CJ35, as well as a Walker Wise River. I currently have a Guild Orpheum 12Fret D. I also bought one of the first SCGC VJ's about 20 years ago. (Seeing that in writing... that's a lot of slope shoulders... I may have a problem. ) But I haven't played the CJ45T, Adirondack or Sitka.

Getting to my point, the SCGC sounded nothing like a Gibson slope shoulder, if that's the sound you're going for. It has more of a really sweet, warm, smooth D18 tone. It wasn't at all punchy with that classic Gibson bark or woof.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

…used Kopps show up occasionally…there’s a 2021 K-35 on the AGF classifieds right now….if you’re after something less expensive an actual Gibson is a great option…one of their many premium offerings will likely deliver the goods…I don’t think Santa Cruz or Collings hits the mark based on my my experience…but they are great guitars…
Old 02-12-2022, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

These two guitars have been of interest to me as well. I have a Santa Cruz and Collings that are both sitka / hog 00s. They are both amazing guitars that don't sound similar at all. SC guitars are friendlier feeling with rounder tones that are enjoyable to play. The Collings guitar I have is bolder and colder that has a sound that makes me say wow every time I play it. I assume that the differences would be similar between a VS and a CJ45T. Of course, I would like something in between.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-12-2022, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I have owned five Gibsons: J45TV, J45 Standard, J35 Fullers, J35 Vintage, J35 Reissue. I have also had two Collings, a CJ35G and a baked CJ35, as well as a Walker Wise River. I currently have a Guild Orpheum 12Fret D. I also bought one of the first SCGC VJ's about 20 years ago. (Seeing that in writing... that's a lot of slope shoulders... I may have a problem. ) But I haven't played the CJ45T, Adirondack or Sitka.

Getting to my point, the SCGC sounded nothing like a Gibson slope shoulder, if that's the sound you're going for. It has more of a really sweet, warm, smooth D18 tone. It wasn't at all punchy with that classic Gibson bark or woof.
^^ This is such a great post. Let me also offer that neither the Collings nor Santa Cruzes you’re considering sound anything like a Gibson slope shoulder. The Kopp K-35 will get a lot closer to that Gibson sound, but will still be its own thing.

Recently I played a Gibson J-35 1936 from their new Historic Series and it was a phenomenal guitar. And you get the advanced X (forward shifted) bracing for more power too.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-12-2022, 11:51 AM

Yea I want that J45 sound but wants better built guitar than the J45 Standard. I guess my only option is to go with Gibson custom shop then...
Old 02-12-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
They are both amazing guitars that don't sound similar at all. SC guitars are friendlier feeling with rounder tones that are enjoyable to play. The Collings guitar I have is bolder and colder ...
I agree. Just spent a couple of hours playing the VS and I feel completely at home with it. Sweet bass. Easy to play. But not for everybody.

Most Collings are different animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkimk View Post
Yea I want that J45 sound but wants better built guitar than the J45 Standard. I guess my only option is to go with Gibson custom shop then...
That's a good move. A good J-45 is special, but hard to find. I know this sounds like I'm doing the standard ragging routine on Gibson, but that's been my experience.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:51 PM

Quick question,

What's the difference between J-45 1942 banner and 1934 Jumbo reissue?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion