The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2022, 03:01 PM

Default String recommendations for Yamaha FG700s?

Greetings!

I know a thread like this went around about a decade ago, but I thought I'd see if anyone would like to update the query.

I have been playing guitar for literally five decades, but not much at all for the last two decades. In the old days, I barely gave any consideration to strings; I would just always get whatever Ernie Ball's or D'Addario's that I had gotten before. My neighbor just gave me his old (but pristine) Yamaha FG700s because I told him I wanted to start playing again, and so now I am trying to learn a little bit more about string options.

I play with a pick more than I play with fingers. I probably favor lighter gauge strings. I have never explored the differences between coated vs uncoated, nor the relative merits of 80/20 bronze versus 92/8 phosphor bronze, so I realize I am now at the start of a learning curve.

Anyway, any recommendations or guidance y'all care to offer is much appreciated. I have a friend who was a luthier, and he says he always uses D'Addario EJ-16 lights, so I am leaning that way. Some suggest those might be a little bright with this guitar, but I am not sure how much that would bother me. The Martin MSP4100 SP Phosphor Bronze lights seem like a good bet, tho kind of pricey; maybe a less expensive Martin variety?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Chuck
Old 02-10-2022, 07:13 PM

MSP4100 are the discontinued Martin line, so if you can find them the prices will be high, but MA540, the new version, should be $7 or so. I play the medium versions and they're very nice strings.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:20 PM

I have gravitated to D'Addario Bluegrass Gauge PB strings for my Dred size guitars.
My preference is treaded sets.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:38 PM

Martin retro 12s
Old 02-10-2022, 07:53 PM

With our FGX800, I use Elixir PB Lights as with most of our guitars. However, I knew in the store when first playing the FG that these would be a good match to my preferences. I really like the way this guitar sounds with them. Good luck finding ones that suit you.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-10-2022, 08:02 PM

EJ-16's seem to be a bit of a "standard" string and a good place to start. Then just try different strings and see what you think. Everyone has favorites and sometimes it's different for different guitars. I'm not a big fan of the EJ16s but I really like the Martin Authentic Lifespans and GHS brand strings. Tone, feel, longevity for your skin chemistry - all play a part in what strings you like. Only way you're gonna know is to try them. I had never tried DR Rares and just threw a set on a guitar and really like them, so you never know. As for gauge, for your Yamaha 12's or maybe even 11's might be the ticket.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:24 PM

It sounds like price is a concern. That said, steer clear from Cleartone, though they would be one of the best sounding, not too slippery coated strings. Same for Elixir, but they are slippery.

My Yamaha guitars all sound great with Ernie Ball Aluminum bronze strings, but there again, "kinda pricey" at $11.99/set.

Under $8/set, you'll be hard pressed to find strings that will sound better than the Martin's. I have MA540 and MA140 and rather like them.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify, I don't find $11.99 to be at all too pricey. The Martin MSP4100 SP Phosphor Bronze lights I referred to were about $32 on Amazon, and someone in another post said they were probably that expensive because they have been discontinued. I see I can get two sets of Cleartone 12-53 phosphor bronze lights for $25 on Amazon, which is totally fine with me pricewise. So if you think they would be best bet, even better than the Martin's you mention, let me know, and they will receive my highest consideration!
Old 02-11-2022, 04:22 PM

For what its worth- I'd always used light or extra light strings on my FG-730s, but on a lark I tried a set of medium gauge. I'm never going back... what a difference its made to the tone. This guitar hasn't opened up all the way (I don't think), but I think it will only get better with age. BTW- I bought Martin PB strings.

71 Harmony Sovereign
Taylor AD27e
Yamaha FG-260 12 String
Yamaha FG-730S
Rogue Mandolin
Applecreek Dulcimer

Old 02-11-2022, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...=darco&index=3

What do you have to lose?
Old 02-11-2022, 05:50 PM

I just put a set of D'addario EJ11 (80/20 lights) on my FG800 and they sound good. Bright, but not overly so. Good clarity. I've used them before and keep coming back to them. Martin MA140's are also good. They are 80/20 lights as well.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

For that classic sound a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20s. And for a more modern sound Ernie Ball Earthwood Phosphor Bronze. Either in medium lights.

I have a friend with one of those FG Yamaha guitars (slightly older in the series than yours) and that's what he uses. And the guitar sounds great!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteathome View Post
For what its worth- I'd always used light or extra light strings on my FG-730s, but on a lark I tried a set of medium gauge. I'm never going back... what a difference its made to the tone. This guitar hasn't opened up all the way (I don't think), but I think it will only get better with age. BTW- I bought Martin PB strings.
Yeah I am with you, I played 12s for years and tried a set of 13s and the amount tone and volume change is impressive. I won't go back either.

To the OP coated strings do last longer and to me it is worth the investment.

Tone is so objective. It's very hard to really recommend strings without knowing what tone that person is looking for.

Op, you may like to go to one of the online dealers like "Just strings" "Web strings" or any of the others and buy their house brand and test what type of strings suites your taste.

Over the years I tried many different types of strings, my favorite strings that I like to use are Martin MSP7200 I have read peoples review as being to bright....Man I love them and yes they have discontinued them.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:00 PM

I've used the Martin lifespans and the D Addario Exp's on my Yamaha's.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherchuck View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify, I don't find $11.99 to be at all too pricey. The Martin MSP4100 SP Phosphor Bronze lights I referred to were about $32 on Amazon, and someone in another post said they were probably that expensive because they have been discontinued. I see I can get two sets of Cleartone 12-53 phosphor bronze lights for $25 on Amazon, which is totally fine with me pricewise. So if you think they would be best bet, even better than the Martin's you mention, let me know, and they will receive my highest consideration!
The Cleartone strings sound great, last a long time, and are very much life Martin Lifespan, just a bit more crisp sounding to me. The Aluminum Bronze have a tendency to look old early, if that makes sense. They turn your fingers brown/black where you fret on them, but they are very loud and punchy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion