The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
It is pretty funny how people can actually be serious about projecting their personal preference, on to what others need or don't need.
I interpreted the title as meaning, "Are they worthwhile to you?" I don't think there was any high-handedness intended.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascotia View Post
That being said, I really dislike the aesthetic of Florentine cutaways with the sharp 'horn'. I can't help but focus on the negative space which usually looks like a perfect semi-circle cut from the guitar's body. For me, that ruins the more elegant curves we associate with beautiful instruments.
Same for me. A Florentine cutaway would be a dealbreaker unless the sound of the guitar was truly exceptional.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I have a pile of guitars and not a single one has a cutaway. For me, it's not needed and I don't really like how they look.

Agree 100%.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:34 AM

I always liked my 1998 Sigma DMC-1STE, a cutaway 6-string with a pickup; solid Sitka spruce top with mahogany laminate sides and back. I used it to record loads of solo acoustic instrumental interpretations, including but not limited to:

Apache--A Jerry Lordan composition; #2 US Billboard for Jřrgen Ingmann and His Guitar, 1961.

Cocaine--JJ Cale wrote it; #30 US Billboard and #3 Canada for Eric Clapton, 1980. Clapton accurately describes Cocaine as an anti-drug song--"quite cleverly anti-cocaine." Indeed. Otherwise, I would never play the song.

Holiday--Penned by Barry and Robin Gibb. #16 US Billboard for The Bee Gees, 1967.

It Ain't Me, Babe--A Bob Dylan composition. #8 US Billboard for The Turtles, 1965.

Kentucky Woman--Penned by Neil Diamond. #22 US Billboard for Neil Diamond, 1967; #38 US Billboard for Deep Purple, 1968.

Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)--A Tony Macaulay-Barry Mason composition. #5 US Billboard for Edison Lighthouse, 1970.

Love Minus Zero/No Limit--A Bob Dylan composition; from his 1965 album Bringing It All Back Home.

Mr. Tambourine Man--A Bob Dylan composition; #1 US Billboard for The Byrds, 1965

My Heart Will Go On--Written by James Horner (music) and Will Jennings (lyrics). #1 US Billboard for Celine Dion, 1998.

O Holy Night--Melody by Adolphe Adam in 1847 to the French poem "Minuit, chrétiens" (Midnight, Christians) by Placide Cappeau.

Paint It Black--A Mick Jagger-Keith Richards composition. #1 US Billboard for The Rolling Stones, 1966.

Reason To Believe--A Tim Hardin composition. #62 US Billboard for Rod Stewart, 1971.

Rocky Mountain High--Penned by John Denver and Mike Taylor. #9 US Billboard for John Denver, 1973.

Shenandoah--Dates to the 1800s during pre-American Civil War days; song's first appearance in print came in Harper's New Monthly Magazine, 1882.

Solitary Man--A Neil Diamond composition; #55 and #21 US Billboard for Neil Diamond in 1966 and 1970, respectively.

Sunshine Girl--Written by Jerry Riopelle, Murray MacLeod, and Allen "Smokey" Roberds. #20 US Billboard for The Parade, 1967.

The Story In Your Eyes--Written by Justin Hayward. From the lp Every Good Boy Deserves Favour by The Moody Blues, 1971. #23 US Billboard for The Moody Blues, 1971.

Last edited by Inyo; 02-11-2022 at 02:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion