The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2022, 11:47 AM

I have done a 180° turn-around on my opinion of cutaways. I used to be a "traditionalist" and thought cutaways didn't belong on a guitar. Then, I realized that I play all over the neck, and adding a cutaway also lets me add a capo.

No more twelve-fretters for me, and I will most definitely consider a cutaway.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:49 AM

Play the instrument you want to play. You don't need a cutaway to do that. If you have a guitar you love, then don't worry about what others have.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 02-10-2022, 11:54 AM

I am always a supporter of more guitars lol. But if you are happy with your current guitar and have put a lot of miles on it, I think that bond trumps getting a new guitar with a cutaway, especially if you want to stick to just one guitar. Sticking with the guitar you have and using it to work for you and changing the way you play or learning a different way to do the things you want to do brings new inspiration and furthers that connection with the instrument. Just my two cents.

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-10-2022, 11:58 AM

I will not buy a guitar without a cutaway. I also prefer the appearance of acoustics with certain types of cutaways.

That being said, I really dislike the aesthetic of Florentine cutaways with the sharp 'horn'. I can't help but focus on the negative space which usually looks like a perfect semi-circle cut from the guitar's body. For me, that ruins the more elegant curves we associate with beautiful instruments.

Last edited by ascotia; 02-10-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I’ve been thinking of getting a cutaway guitar since my playing does often take me up into the higher frets. A couple things have held me back.

One, I think of players like Tommy Emmanuel who play insanely good all over the FB and don’t use a cutaway. I know he has cutaway guitars, but 99% of the time he’s on his OM style Matin with no cutaway.

Two, I have only one guitar, only want to have one guitar, and I love it a lot. It’s getting older and well-seasoned and I don’t want to start over with a new model. I know I could add a second guitar but I really like the simplicity of having one great guitar to devote my playing to.

What say you?
Obviously you do not "need" it... But then again if your playing takes up to where your are reaching notes beyond the neck body connection THEN there is also no "need" not to have one. It is truly Simple As That

But far far more important,, forget what TE or anybody plays or does not play.. "They ain't you"
And never be afraid to reexamine what you think your preferences and perspectives are.. "Life is change"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-10-2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:15 PM

I've a few "player" pals that will just not even consider an acoustic without a Cutaway.

Doesn't really matter to me.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-10-2022, 02:11 PM

Do any steel strings utilize the design that classical guitar builder Thomas Humphrey did on his Millennium guitars, where there is no cutaway but either the neck is elevated slightly or the body gently slopes down at the 14th fret to enable easier access to the upper frets. That always looked like an elegant way to handle that, to my eyes at least. Not sure about the sonic implications, if any.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Of people I've seen playing cutaway guitars, 95% don't need them. It's more, by pure numbers, a fashion statement.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-10-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
If you have a 12 fretter cutaways can definitely be useful.
I have a 12 fretter and it does make it difficult to play in the upper fretboard, something like "Wanted Dead or Alive".

On my 14 fretters I like a cutaway sometimes because I play with a capo on the 7th fret sometimes and the extra space helps.

So, there is a need for a cutaway depending upon what/how you play.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:42 PM

I know I don't need a cut away, but if that fits your style by all means go for it.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Default If a 12 fretter then yes

If you're asking primarily about 14 fretters, then for me I don't need/desire a cutaway. However, my "new favorite" body shape is a 12-fret cutaway, having the compactness of a 12 fretter and the fret reach of a 14 fretter. So, yes if it's a 12 fretter.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:25 PM

I’m a 68-year-old newbie and my next or second guitar will be a short scale 12 fret wide nut designed for my age and reach.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 02-10-2022, 05:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I like to have it and I'll tell you why. I like to play a variety of celtic and folk music. Often the music is written with the use of a capo in mind. If you have a capo on the 4th and you need to do a harmonic at the octave, you're up there and need the room, at least my fat fingers do. So three of my all solids have cutaways - Avalon, Furch and Guild, and three don't - Gibson, Larrivee and Martin. My next guitar will most likely have a cutaway as well.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-10-2022, 07:53 PM
Runaway Tomato

On my Strummin' guitar (110e) I don't need a cutaway, but on my fingerpicker (814ce DLX) I do. There's some sweeeeeet chord voicings way up there for flesh-on-string stuff.

But, frankly, the day that I compared the 814ce to the other instruments in the GC high-end room (including a J-45 and a D28 and some other heavyweights), it was so much better I would have gotten it regardless of cutaway. A fingerpicker's dream, this thing is.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-10-2022, 07:57 PM

Tommy apparently is 6’3- 6’4 ; his fingerspan is as long as Kevin Durant..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I’ve been thinking of getting a cutaway guitar since my playing does often take me up into the higher frets. A couple things have held me back.

One, I think of players like Tommy Emmanuel who play insanely good all over the FB and don’t use a cutaway. I know he has cutaway guitars, but 99% of the time he’s on his OM style Matin with no cutaway.

Two, I have only one guitar, only want to have one guitar, and I love it a lot. It’s getting older and well-seasoned and I don’t want to start over with a new model. I know I could add a second guitar but I really like the simplicity of having one great guitar to devote my playing to.

What say you?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion