The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2022, 10:32 AM

Default Does one really need a cutaway?

I’ve been thinking of getting a cutaway guitar since my playing does often take me up into the higher frets. A couple things have held me back.

One, I think of players like Tommy Emmanuel who play insanely good all over the FB and don’t use a cutaway. I know he has cutaway guitars, but 99% of the time he’s on his OM style Matin with no cutaway.

Two, I have only one guitar, only want to have one guitar, and I love it a lot. It’s getting older and well-seasoned and I don’t want to start over with a new model. I know I could add a second guitar but I really like the simplicity of having one great guitar to devote my playing to.

What say you?
Old 02-10-2022, 10:36 AM

I have a pile of guitars and not a single one has a cutaway. For me, it's not needed and I don't really like how they look.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:36 AM

Everyone prefers what they prefer, and you'll ultimately decide. I personally like the look of non-cutaway guitars better, and I never play up that high on acoustic. So no cutaway for me. It's your call though!
Old 02-10-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Does one really need a cutaway?

No, not in my opinion. Most of my guitars -- and I have about a dozen good acoustics -- don't have cutaways. A few do.

I am a halfway decent player after almost 6 decades of playing and I have found it rather rare to need the cutaway. Tommy Emmanuel is a good example of an accomplished player who plays all over the fretboard and is not constrained by the need for a cutaway.

If you want a cutaway, that's certainly okay, too. But rarely is it necessary in my experience.

- Glenn
Old 02-10-2022, 10:43 AM
AGF Administrator

I don't need it, but it's convenient for those times when I play lead and get up into the dusty part of the fretboard.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:56 AM

If you play up there and are NOT Tommy Emmanuel then yes, it's helpful.

"Need"? FWIW, technically you don't even "need" a guitar but it's nice to have one and seems to add some quality to life.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:11 AM

If you have a 12 fretter cutaways can definitely be useful.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
...For me, it's not needed and I don't really like how they look.
I agree but must admit that my Emerald X20 has a cutaway because that's the only way they come...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-10-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
+1
I have no cutaway on my 14fretters but it's vitaal for me on the 12 fretter
Nick
Old 02-10-2022, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
Yup, this ^^^^. I thought I never would need a cutaway as I'm mostly a cowboy chord player and do no single line soloing of any kind and probably never will. But I also prefer short scale guitars which often times come in the flavor of 12 fret guitars. I also tend to capo up the fretboard a lot, up to frets 4 & 5 for a couple songs and was alarmed on time when capo'd up at the fifth fret and when to play a G# barre chord and found I was out of room!

So, the answer is: One does not need a cutaway until one suddenly finds himself up there needing a cutaway!
Old 02-10-2022, 11:25 AM

I rarely need to barre at the 16th fret, so I'm OK without cutaway.

On the other hand, I was just cleaning up a guitar, and upper bout sure gets a lot of grudge from playing up there without a cutaway. Which to me is not a big deal.

Bottom line is that I just don't like the looks of cutaways. But then I also like cars with manual transmissions.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:25 AM

There are few things we need. But many things we prefer.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:28 AM

I need one. I've got alt tuned pieces coped up as high as the 7th fret. It would be impossible to chord some of the passages without a cutaway. Think bar chord on the 15th fret, for instance.

Now on my guitars I use for standard tuning, I do not have cutaways because I'm rarely up that high, and when I am, it's usually just for 1 note and I can reach over.

I prefer the looks of non cutaway guitars for the most part.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:32 AM

Well, you are most likely not as accomplished as Tommy M and never will be. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I would say do it - why not? You want to give it a shot and maybe you'll get some extra motivation too. New guitars are fun. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 02-10-2022, 11:36 AM

Different strokes etc. Some here don’t like the look of a cutaway guitar. I think they look awesome. I need to get out and try some out soon. Thanks for all the input thus far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion