The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2022, 09:41 AM

Default I had my guitar setup

I have been playing only 7 months and have an inexpensive Fender acoustic. I had taken it to The Repair Zone here in San Diego.

Thanks to 619TF for the suggestion

I really like how it plays, it is much more fun. Now after another six months when I can play better I can buy a much nicer guitar!

Old 02-10-2022, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Hi Snoopysvet,

Good for you for getting your guitar optimized in terms of playing action! It's hard to face up to spending the money with a relatively inexpensive guitar, but it makes so much difference, I think it's well worth it.

I'm glad you do, too!

- Glenn
Old 02-10-2022, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Glenn. A proper set up makes a World of difference. Enjoy the journey!
Old 02-10-2022, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Nothing like a good setup to make a guitar easier and more fun to play.

And - the longer you hang around here the sooner you'll realize you don't have to play well to buy a nicer guitar
Old 02-10-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopysvet View Post
I have been playing only 7 months and have an inexpensive Fender acoustic. I had taken it to The Repair Zone here in San Diego.

I really like how it plays, it is much more fun. Now after another six months when I can play better I can buy a much nicer guitar!

That's awesome! Thanks for the credit but really it's all Fred at RZ...the BEST!
Old 02-10-2022, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

There is no test you have to take to qualify for a nice guitar. If you are enjoying what you have, you'll enjoy a better guitar even more.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-10-2022, 03:22 PM

Snoopysvet, a setup can make a guitar seem like a totally different, and better, guitar. You'll find that you may reach for it more often as well.

Enjoy your Fender!
Old 02-10-2022, 08:09 PM

Well done! Consider this an investment in your progression. You nailed it. They really are more fun. Enjoy playing.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-10-2022, 08:19 PM

Just don't forget, the "better" guitar will/can still likely benefit from a setup.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:41 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopysvet View Post

Yessir -- a good setup changes everything! Enjoy playing your guitar, but remember - like others have already said - you don't really need to wait to upgrade.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-11-2022, 09:21 AM

Default Good stuff

Smart move to have it set up and remember that even a better guitar often could use a bit of loving from a good set up.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:03 AM
Musical minimalist

Glad you have seen the light...there is much to learn about these wooden boxes besides the music we make on them.

I would tell you - to make your journey easier - to reference the website Frets.com which had a wealth of info on it regarding guitar troubleshooting and repair.

Frank Ford is a legend (and a contributor here at times) and learning from his site can help you in the long run immensely.

A few months ago one of my clients sons (in his 50's) asked me if I could take a look at his instruments - an American Strat and a nice Eastman 512 and check the setups.

I went over and while we were sitting at the kitchen table talking for about 90 minutes, I evaluated, setup and restrung both guitars.

A couple hours later, I got a phone call - he was babbling so fast he could hardly talk....shocked at the effect of the subtle changes I'd made.

I wouldn't have been able to do that without some of the info I'd gleaned from Frets.com and other similar sites (and just paying attention over the years!)

So, spend some time on non-music info as well - it will pay dividends.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion