The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.bowman View Post
Great info. To be honest, I can make out the 15, but have no idea what is before that. What can I learn from the batch number? Thanks
Well I think it would correspond with the factory order number. I can look in the Gibson book I have and see, but I'm sure there will be people coming along more knowledgeable than me about order numbers and batch numbers.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:47 PM

I think it says 915. And in the Gibson flat top book there are FON numbers that start with 910 corresponding to 1942.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Starkiller View Post
I think it says 915. And in the Gibson flat top book there are FON numbers that start with 910 corresponding to 1942.
Thanks for the help. Definitely not an easy one to figure out.I will have my luthier inspect to see if it has had the fretboard replaced and report back. Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Definitely not an easy one to figure out.I will have my luthier inspect to see if it has had the fretboard replaced and report back. Thanks again.
Gibson is my favorite brand so I’m VERY interested in this! Please update. And thanks for the pics!
Old 02-09-2022, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Definitely an L-00, the shape is right and there's no back binding. My guess is that it's a replaced fretboard - the headstock and logo look right for a 30s L-00, the only that's off is the board itself.
It’s an L.

The board was replaced. Note the single-line Klusons—they aren’t original to this guitar which had open backs. But they are “vintage” 50s style. So I’m betting the owner had some work done in the 50s or 60s—a new fretboard and tuners.

Why he or she extended the board is a mystery. Weird to have no fret markers, but not as weird as the extension. . I hope it’s got side markers?

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-10-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
It’s an L.

The board was replaced. Note the single-line Klusons—they aren’t original to this guitar which had open backs. But they are “vintage” 50s style. So I’m betting the owner had some work done in the 50s or 60s—a new fretboard and tuners.

Why he or she extended the board is a mystery. Weird to have no fret markers, but not as weird as the extension. . I hope it’s got side markers?
Yes, it does have side dots. I agree with your assessment. It is the only thing that makes sense. ( L with a fretboard replacement)
Old 02-10-2022, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, it does have side dots. I agree with your assessment. It is the only thing that makes sense. ( L with a fretboard replacement)
It’s a cool guitar. You definitely got better than a B 15.

I asked about the side dots because my K G 14 didn’t have them. I never noticed til my brother asked me how I could play without them.

Once he pointed that out, I kept going out of key above the 5th fret til I painted dots with liquid paper. The guitar had fret markers, but apparently I never look at them when I’m playing.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-10-2022, 07:46 PM

Looks to be a pre-1937 L00 (V neck, no back binding and such) which has lost its finish, tuners, pickguard, and fretboard. I do not have a copy of Spann's Guide handy to look at FONs. These are amazing guitars. Gibson has built nothing like them since then with the notable exception of the L-00 Legend. I own a 1932 12 fret L1.

Last edited by zombywoof; 02-10-2022 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Looks to be a pre-1937 L00 (V neck, no back binding and such) which has lost its finish, tuners, pickguard, and fretboard. I do not have a copy of Spann's Guide handy to look at FONs. These are amazing guitars. Gibson has built nothing like them since then with the notable exception of the L-00 Legend. I own a 1932 12 fret L1.

Ugh I’ve been looking for one of these forever. So elusive but one of the best guitars I’ve ever played.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Ugh I’ve been looking for one of these forever. So elusive but one of the best guitars I’ve ever played.
Gibson built the X braced 12 fret L guitars for less than 2 years so they are harder to come by than the 14 fret versions. I got mine from a friend and as soon as I knew it was up for grabs I jumped all over it. The other thing which sets these early-1930s guitars apart is they sported a hand rubbed finish although by the time mine was built Gibson had started spraying a clear coat over them. In another year or so Gibson transitioned to a fully sprayed finish as well as beefing up the build a bit.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:57 AM

The problem with this guitar is with an illegible FON you are left with having to go by features. Virtually everything though that would be of use to at the least establish a build period is missing. So, as example, chronologically Gibson went with two different styles of open gear Waverly strip tuners before switching to Klusons. About the only thing you have to go by with this guitar is the fact that it does not have a "The Gibson" logo, it did have a pickguard, and there is no back binding. But all this taken together will only get you as far as to say the guitar was likely built between 1932 and 1936.

But you also have to remember this is Gibson we are talking about. This is the company which was known to put together "floor sweep"" guitars in the 1930s assembled from whatever leftover parts they had around. So, Gibson, as example, did offer an L-00 with a natural top in the 1940s. And a three-digit FON would date a guitar to 1943. According to the "experts" though these should have a bound back. But who is to say that Gibson did not produce runs without that feature especially as material shortages started to have an impact that year. With Gibson there always seems to be some exception to the rule.

Last edited by zombywoof; 02-11-2022 at 10:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion