The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Default 1st World Problem

So, I have been looking for a smaller body guitar (between a dreadnought and a parlor) for some time now. I really like the Prewar 000 but, at my age, a two year wait maybe 20%, or more, of my remaining time on earth.

So currently, I am considering three guitars. I will need to wait a few months for one of these because no shops seem to have one in stock.

Yamaha Red Label FSX5

Martin 000-18 or 000-28

Yes, quite a broad price difference.

Yamaha: Already equipped with electronics
I will experience much less stress at open mics, jams, and
occasional gigs. I have owned Yamaha's in the past. I have not
been disappointed by Yamaha products.

000-18: Most likely, I opt for a far better acoustic choice. I would need a
microphone or add electronics. I will experience much more stress
when taking it outside of my home.

000-28: I don't own a rosewood guitar. I prefer mahogany.
No local shop has one for me to try out. There's a good chance
that I will return it. Add the similar concerns about the 000-18

Since I budgeted for the Prewar, I could purchase two guitars. I have more guitars than I need, now.

I could donate the money to a worthy cause, put the dilemma behind me, and work with the guitars that I currently own.

Any advice?

Thanks for the help about the J45's. I tried both the standard and studio. They sound too much like the Guild that I already have.

Update - looks like Musician's friend has the 000-18

Last edited by k_russell; 02-08-2022 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 02-08-2022, 07:31 AM

Have you looked at the GC and GA style Taylors? (Grand Auditorium models end in a 4, Grand Concert models end in a 2). Bother are "between" the Parlor and dread size that you are looking for, and both are very well made.

Breedlove also makes wonderful guitars. I like the Myrtlewood guitars from their Oregon series and think they have a wonderful sound, but I suspect these need to be auditioned individually as I have no idea how the sound varies from example to example. I DO know that I have played two. One sounded very nice indeed, and the other wasn't as well rounded. It COULD have been the rooms I was playing in too. These instruments are also "between" the sizes you are looking at.

Just throwing out a few more ideas, and both of these manufacturers usually have plenty of availability of product vs others.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 02-08-2022, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

My two cents. Since you prefer mahogany, get the 000-18. If you're looking for a Pre-War, I don't think a Yamaha, as much as I think highly of them, is going to cut it. Don't get it from Musicians Friend/Guitar Center, get it from a proper Martin dealer like Wildwood Guitars https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/...-5/?cat_id=226. In addition, get the Yamaha to take out of the house if you'll be fearful of leaving the house with the Martin. And for the record, all the things that are discussed here are First World Problems...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-08-2022, 07:45 AM

I can only say that I don't think you can go wrong with the 000-18. Mine is the best guitar I've ever owned. My Breedlove is nice also, but it's still not as good as my 000-18.
Guild Jumbo Junior (2022)
Luna Henna Paradise(2018)
Martin DX Johnny Cash(2019)
Martin 000-18(2019)
Martin 000C Jr-10 (2022)
Zager ZAD800M (2021)
Fender Squier Stratocaster(2009)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Nothing wrong with any of the above mentioned guitars. If you like Yamaha you're not opposed to Pac-Rim guitars so the new Eastman/Bourgeois collaborations might be of interest. I also like the 000-18 and am more of a mahogany fan myself (depending on the day?) and either the Martin, Eastman, or any acoustic can have a pickup added. And while that's a topic for another discussion I'll throw in my favorite pickup: The K&K Mini. Easy to install a very little hardware inside the guitar. Most any tech or luthier can do it.
If you've budgeted fora PWGC I'll add the only smaller guitar I own is a Boucher OM which is my favorite over the Martin offerings from their Authentic's down to their Standard line.
Best of luck with your search!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-08-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post
So, I have been looking for a smaller body guitar (between a dreadnought and a parlor) for some time now. I really like the Prewar 000 but, at my age, a two year wait maybe 20%, or more, of my remaining time on earth.

So currently, I am considering three guitars. I will need to wait a few months for one of these because no shops seem to have one in stock.

Yamaha Red Label FSX5

Martin 000-18 or 000-28

Yes, quite a broad price difference.

Yamaha: Already equipped with electronics
I will experience much less stress at open mics, jams, and
occasional gigs. I have owned Yamaha's in the past. I have not
been disappointed by Yamaha products.

000-18: Most likely, I opt for a far better acoustic choice. I would need a
microphone or add electronics. I will experience much more stress
when taking it outside of my home.

000-28: I don't own a rosewood guitar. I prefer mahogany.
No local shop has one for me to try out. There's a good chance
that I will return it. Add the similar concerns about the 000-18

Since I budgeted for the Prewar, I could purchase two guitars. I have more guitars than I need, now.

I could donate the money to a worthy cause, put the dilemma behind me, and work with the guitars that I currently own.

Any advice?

Thanks for the help about the J45's. I tried both the standard and studio. They sound too much like the Guild that I already have.

Update - looks like Musician's friend has the 000-18
Since you titled your thread this way and the thought of donating the money to a worthy cause is on your mind, I'd say go that route! I've come to the realization that I probably need to leave this forum due to it always fueling GAS for me, when I have 3 amazing guitars already and have NO NEED for another one.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-08-2022, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I've come to the realization that I probably need to leave this forum due to it always fueling GAS for me, when I have 3 amazing guitars already and have NO NEED for another one.
I feel that way myself some days?

Old 02-08-2022, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

You mentioned a pre-war 000 but don't want the wait? Check out Martin's 1937 Custom Authentic 000-28, with Stage 1 aging. https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...0-28-1937.html I've got one and think they're awesome. IMHO I don't look at having to add a pup(s) as a negative. You get to choose the system you want and there are relatively low cost options, like K&K Pure Mini's for $99 + install.

Last edited by gmel555; 02-08-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
You mentioned a pre-war 000 but don't want the wait? Check out Martin's 1937 Custom Authentic 000-28, with Stage 1 aging. https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...0-28-1937.html I've got one and think they're awesome. IMHO I don't look at having to add a pup(s) as a negative. You get to choose the system you want and there are relatively low cost options, like K&K Pure Mini's for $99 + install.
I agree with this. I've been playing my non aged version all morning. It's a great guitar.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I agree with this. I've been playing my non aged version all morning. It's a great guitar.
Yep my dread version (aged) has been in my lap most of the morning...

Old 02-08-2022, 09:48 AM

My 2 cents....order the Prewar. You'll still have more time left when you get it per your estimate and why not play what you want? Meantime buy something else and when the Prewar finally comes get rid of the temporary "filler" guitar. Life is too short. In 2 years you'll be 2 years older than you are now and likely still wanting that special guitar. This is basically the advice I was given when considering grad school. "In X years you'll be that much older and still without the degree...or with it. What do you really want?" Best advice I ever took.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

How about a carbon fiber guitar? Something like a RainSong OM Shorty or Emerald X20 - OM size body and no longer any worries about taking it out of the house. Get one with a decent pickup system already installed and you're good to go for any open mic.

Since you've budgeted for a Pre-War, you could easily afford one of RainSong's Vintage line which infused a genuine spruce wood layer to the top which looks nice and also mellows the tone a bit. They also come with the excellent LR Baggs Anthem StagePro system which is great for playing amplified.

Of those mentioned in post, the 000-18 is the no-brainer since you already know you like mahogany better. Find yourself a nice used one with a decent pickup system already installed and you'll be much less likely to worry about taking it out to open mics.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:01 AM

You could go “downmarket” and get an Alvarez MA66ce (all mahogany) AND and MA70ce (Spuce over Rosewood). Both with electronics would run around $1500. And you could donate the balance to a worthy charity like Guitars for Vets.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 02-08-2022, 10:03 AM

I have the impression you will not consider a used guitar. Is this correct?

There are a few around...

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/20...uce-66082.html
Old 02-08-2022, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post
So, I have been looking for a smaller body guitar (between a dreadnought and a parlor) for some time now. I really like the Prewar 000 but, at my age, a two year wait maybe 20%, or more, of my remaining time on earth.-18
I wanted a Kopp…but Kevin also had a two year wait. And I’m also getting up there in age. I thought if I waited much longer I could be dead. So I went ahead and placed my order.

Now I’m only nine months away from delivery and considering what to sell to make room.

Go for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion