The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2022, 02:41 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies - though sounds a bit grim.

Seems weird that this could be anything but manufacturer failure - yet a big company like Gibson would quibble.

I’ll see what they say in reply to my query….few days and nowt back so far.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't call a guitar needing a reset after 10 years a manufacturing failure. It's just the nature of the beast. Some need them earlier, some later, some maybe never. Most guitars in their lifetime will need a reset at some point.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC View Post
I’ll see what they say in reply to my query….few days and nowt back so far. .
Good luck. Let us know how you make out…
Old 02-10-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I wouldn't call a guitar needing a reset after 10 years a manufacturing failure. It's just the nature of the beast. Some need them earlier, some later, some maybe never. Most guitars in their lifetime will need a reset at some point.
Ok - that’s good to know. I’ve never had a guitar that’s needed one before, though my oldest is only about 35 years old...and has been played for probably 500x the number of hours the AJ has. Always assumed it was a “very old” guitar issue.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
The quote included a neck reset, planing the fretboard and a refret for $1650. Everything except a set-up (!) and shipping in both directions.
It seems curious that a setup isn't included in the price. From a practical point, I don't think that all that work could be done without doing a setup - even if it was just a ballpark job, such as is sometimes seen on guitars that have come straight out of the case on to a dealer's wall.

If Gibson said they had to list a setup as a seperate item, for whatever reason, then fine but it just seems a little strange to mention it as if it's an option. I wonder what state the guitar would come back in if you said "No, just do all the neck reset work but I'll have someone else do a setup."
Old 02-11-2022, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

My local shop charges more for a Gibson neck reset compared to Martins. They seem to be more a pain to do. I know Gibson sprays finish after the neck and body are joined and Martin sprays neck and body separately so that could be part of it. I think they charge $350 for Martin and $650 for Gibson.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:42 PM

For those interested - the quote I’ve received is $800 Australian…but maybe a bit more depending on finish issues, which are apparently a bit hard to predict. Guy who provided quote seemed very knowledgeable and came recommended.

Still no reply from Gibson…not holding my breath.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:59 PM

You got pictures of the issues with your guitar?
Gibson SJ200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion