The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2022, 01:50 PM

These seem pretty interesting. I’m typically not a fan of soundports, especially the ones Taylor has been doing recently, but these seem pretty unobtrusive and it would be interesting to see how much more a player would ”hear” with this…could just be marketing, but who knows? All solid wood, American made, what’s not to like.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 02-04-2022, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I've been intrigued by these . They remind me of Gibson's B-15 and others that were super simple designs and affordable, but the Gs looks even nicer. At first I thought they were ugly, but I now think they do have a niche that fits right where Martin 15 series fit. Wish they had an option without the soundport though.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:00 PM

A) I wonder if this will finally eliminate humankind's never-ending struggle with pick retrieval down the soundhole,

but also

B) one of the reasons I like Gibsons is the fingerboard radius, and here they are going to a flatter f'board, or it appears.

In meantime, although these G-series are priced at/near the 1K mark, the 'traditional' Gibson models' prices continue escalating. Just checked on a historic model today with one retailer and the price had gone up nearly $500 - an increase of about 11%!

Fred
Old 02-05-2022, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

I played them all but the 200 and they sounded good for the price. I liked the song writer version the best but don’t need another guitar.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:40 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I've been intrigued by these . They remind me of Gibson's B-15 and others that were super simple designs and affordable, but the Gs looks even nicer. At first I thought they were ugly, but I now think they do have a niche that fits right where Martin 15 series fit. Wish they had an option without the soundport though.
What you're asking for can be found in the now discontinued G Series, if you can find one.

My G45 Standard is exactly that. They also made a G45 Studio version as well. Don't know why they stopped making them after only a year or two, it's a great introduction to an all solid wood Gibson at a reasonable price. The only thing I did was swapped out the Mini Rotomatics with full size. Perfect!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 02-05-2022, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
What you're asking for can be found in the now discontinued G Series, if you can find one.

My G45 Standard is exactly that. They also made a G45 Studio version as well. Don't know why they stopped making them after only a year or two, it's a great introduction to an all solid wood Gibson at a reasonable price. The only thing I did was swapped out the Mini Rotomatics with full size. Perfect!

Guitar Center currently has 3 used studios on their site.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J185-4Me View Post
A) I wonder if this will finally eliminate humankind's never-ending struggle with pick retrieval down the soundhole,

It has taken me 37 years to master the "guitar-body-pick-flip" where I center the dropped pick just under and above the sound hole and flip that sucker out like a pro! Don't need no port! I can handle this issue like an old-school pro!
2005 - Takamine G116 Classical
1985 - Alvarez 5021 12 (Hand Made, Japan)
1986 - Alvarez 5222 6 (Korea)
2011 - Alvarez MD711c
2010 - Ibanez A300 Quilted Maple
2013 - Martin Backpacker
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 6 - black
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 12 - natural
Old 02-05-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Guitar Center currently has 3 used studios on their site.
The difference between the two is the Studio is a satin top with Ebony fret board and bridge, while the Standard has a gloss top with a Richlite fret board and bridge.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 02-11-2022, 11:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I appreciate hearing about all these models, and I'm SO grateful to see Gibson doing well again after the debacle of the previous management. Goes to prove that one individual can make a huge difference in the world -- positive or negative.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion