The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2022, 02:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Article in Rolling Stone about New Gibson Bozeman Flat Top Line

Hi, Gang: I confess that I'm a bit out of touch with the current state of acoustic guitars in the US market. This popped up today in a feed.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...153756270.html
Old 01-13-2022, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Gibson is finally getting around to trying for the cheaper but still American made market. Martin and Taylor have been doing this for a while now. I've been unimpressed with these cheaper guitars from any of the brands. YMMV
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-13-2022, 05:11 PM

I really don't like the hole in the side of these guitars...it just looks "wrong." If I wanted another hole in my guitar, I'd let Willie Nelson borrow it.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:02 PM

I think it’s pretty clever of Gibson to incorporate soundports into the design of these guitars. Soundports have grown increasingly common in the custom guitar high end of the market, so we know they work. They offset the diminished volume that the shallow bodies of these guitars produce.

As for whether they actually found a soundport design from 1964, it gives them a claim that they invented the whole idea.

Anyway, more power to them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-13-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I think it’s pretty clever of Gibson to incorporate soundports into the design of these guitars. Soundports have grown increasingly common in the custom guitar high end of the market, so we know they work. They offset the diminished volume that the shallow bodies of these guitars produce.

Wade Hampton Miller
That’s an interesting perspective on the port compensating somewhat for the shallower body. I hadn’t thought of it in that way. I’d like to try one out.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:59 AM

The sound ports, especially the particular shape, look god awful and I couldn't own one, not a chance. However I played one and it exceeded my expectations, sounded not bad at all. I miss the J-15.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
....As for whether they actually found a soundport design from 1964, it gives them a claim that they invented the whole idea....
We will know for sure if and when they issue a copyright infringement to the rest of the guitar industry.

Tommy
Old 01-14-2022, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Gibson is finally getting around to trying for the cheaper but still American made market. Martin and Taylor have been doing this for a while now. I've been unimpressed with these cheaper guitars from any of the brands. YMMV
Gibson has been doing this for awhile. The previous, now discontinued G series and J-15 are examples. They also used to make the WM-45 and WM-00 which are cheaper stripped down versions of those models. They have done many on the electric side also for well under $1000 and still made in USA.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I have the G-00 and I like it. It plays great and being "new" wood, it is still settling in, but with Martin Monels, it sounds good. Been gigging it with a Baggs M1 for the last 3 or 4 months. Next stringing, I'll try some John Pearse nickels.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-14-2022, 12:07 PM

I would like to try one of the G-00's. I like the design, but would have to hear how the walnut B&S sounds.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I had a custom made guitar built for me in 2019. The luthier had never created a guitar with a sound port and happily added one for me. I'm thrilled with it, particularly as a fingerstyle player, projection / volume matters more to me. The luthier has now added a sound port to one of his demo guitars and is getting regular requests from new customers to add a sound port.

I found the comment the look being unappealing interesting. I always felt that way about the pre-amp / eq on the side of many guitars, yet decided to add such a barn door pre-amp to this guitar and I'm quite happy with it. I still feel the look of the pre-amp is unappealing to the extreme, but this guitar is used on stage a lot and I like having the pre-amp easy to see and use. Previously used a kk pre amp clipped to my belt and hated the lack of usability compared to the barn door model.

I think sound ports should be considered for ALL acoustic guitars.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I would like to try one of the G-00's. I like the design, but would have to hear how the walnut B&S sounds.
I feel the walnut B&S make the guitar based in the mids and trebles. There is some bass, but not a whole lot. There are more overtones on mine than a dry Gibson.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-14-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Gibson first made a play for this market in the late-1990s with the WM Series guitars.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Would love to hear more about these new models.

sm
Old 02-04-2022, 11:57 AM

I don’t think their new line Is meant for old fogies like us. Personally, I have no problem with sound ports.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion