The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-01-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
In not too many years nursing home tunes my have to include classic rock material
"In not too many years???"

When I hear AC/DC and Led Zeppelin being played on supermarket systems, I know times have changed!
Old 01-01-2022, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Red face

My wife, Rose, was singing at parties from the age of 2 or 3. At 14, her aunt taught her to play guitar, to accompany herself while singing. At 18 she started a 6 year career singing and playing guitar as a soloist and also in duos and groups in pizza restaurants 3 - 6 hours a night, usually 7 nights a week. Repertoire was primarily pop acoustic songs from the 50s to the 70s, and folk songs She still has a unique, gorgeous voice.

I, on the other hand have no talent whatsoever. My dad was a natural entertainer and a gifted singer, and he played guitar just fine for his purposes, and he used to sing and play at home 2 - 6 evenings a week for 30-60 minutes, as well as always being asked to entertain at parties. He probably knew 2000 tunes, everything from folk songs hundreds of years old up to pop hits of the 20th century up to the 1970s. I eventually wanted to play with him, and we enjoyed hundreds of hours playing and singing (him singing, both of us playing- I don’t sing well at all), mostly during my teenage years. He and I performed at a couple of shows for grade schools - what a thrill! I eventually slowly developed a modest level of skill as a guitarist.

So Rose and I hit it off musically from the time that we met. We were weekend warrior giggers most of our married years, singing and playing mostly acoustic pop hits of the 60s and 70s. In 2002 we started entertaining in retirement homes and nursing homes. Our peak year playing retirement homes was probably 2008, about 65 gigs. We developed 5 sets:

Old time favorites (popular hits from 1900 - 1960)
Spanish / Hispanic theme music
Irish music (songs and dance tunes)
Patriotic favorites
Christmas music

Probably 80% of the time we played the “Old Time Favorites” set.

The number of gigs that we performed slowly diminished after 2009, and our last gig was in early 2019.

We played one gig in July of this year, playing our “Old Time Favorites” set. We were really concerned that our “Old Time Favorites” tunes were too dated for the “new generation” of seniors (compared to 14-20 years ago). Much to our pleasant surprise, the audience continued to build throughout the performance, all were delighted with the show, and people were were singing along with EVERY song!!!

Here’s our “Old Time Favorites” set list - at least half of the tunes are tunes that I learned and used to play with my Dad:

All of Me
When You’re Smiling
Cuddle Up a Little Closer / I want a Guy, Just Like the Guy (originally “I Want a Girl”, but Rose changed it)
I’ll Fly Away
My Wild Irish Rose
Tea for Two
Hello Dolly
Let Me Call You Sweetheart
Happy Days are Here Again / Zip a Dee Doo Dah
When Irish Eyes are Smiling (Rose passes out rhythm instruments after this tune)
Guantanamera/ La Bamba
Rock Around the Clock
Ain’t She Sweet
Chinatown / Mr. Sandman
Que Sera Que Sera
Stars and Stripes forever (Guy van Duser arrangement)
In the Good Old Summer Time / Shine on Harvest Moon
Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue

Last edited by ceciltguitar; 01-01-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1armbandit View Post
My suggestion is just play and sing and they will probably enjoy it.

Jack
Jack, you just hit it on the nailhead, but no matter how many times we point this out, there will be those who insist on overthinking it and telling which songs people they've never met want to hear. Many of these lists are actually showing the songs that the performer wants to play, without taking into account at all what the audience wants. Hand them a list of what you can do and let them choose, and even though it doesn't seem to be on the performers radar, tell them you do Phantom of the Opera songs and they absolutely want to hear them.

Worth quoting so I'll say it again "just play and sing and they will probably enjoy it."
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 01-02-2022, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1armbandit View Post

My suggestion is just play and sing and they will probably enjoy it.

Jack
Exactly this! We do much the same sets we would play elsewhere and more than once have heard "I don't know any of the songs you played but sure enjoyed it"
Old 01-02-2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Exactly this! We do much the same sets we would play elsewhere and more than once have heard "I don't know any of the songs you played but sure enjoyed it"
Another spot on post! When I used to go play for my friend's mom for about a year before she passed, she never wanted to see the song list and would just tell me to play whatever songs I wanted to play so that she could hopefully hear some stuff she'd never heard before.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:16 AM

tunes with 4 or more chords do well

ie pre 1995
Old 01-03-2022, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluulu View Post
tunes with 4 or more chords do well

ie pre 1995
Pretty sure they're too busy listening to bother counting.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:54 PM

Default Nursing/Retirement home songs

My wife and I sing for a nearby assisted living center monthly, and we most often get requests for Sinatra songs, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and I Can’t Help Falling in Love With You. Last time a guy requested John Prine and the first song that came to my head was Hello in There. As soon as I started it I realized it was maybe too close to home… but they loved it!
Old 01-05-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
"In not too many years???"

When I hear AC/DC and Led Zeppelin being played on supermarket systems, I know times have changed!
Back when rocks were still soft and warm, I worked a liquor store where the old man had “Easy Listening” radio on all day long.

C’mon Feel the Noize was brand new . . . With a lovely arrangement for strings that came on a couple times per day.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:09 AM

I don't play at nursing homes but the jams I attend all invite the public. So the crowd is older folks. A lot of them would be in nursing homes if it wasn't for family members taking them in. There was one gentleman that told any one who would listen he was 96.

The last time we played was on New Years Eve. So instead of the normal 15 to 20 players we started with 7 and ended with 5.

Well I usually pass my turn when it comes up. So for the first time I took it. The first song I played and sang was Hurt. I am 62 and a gentleman a few years older than me thanked me for playing a Nine Inch Nails song. Most them knew Johnny Cash covered it.

The next one I did was I Don't Look Good Naked Anymore. Must of did OK, I could hear them laughing.

Point is you may be surprised.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-05-2022, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeatle View Post
My wife and I sing for a nearby assisted living center monthly, and we most often get requests for Sinatra songs, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and I Can’t Help Falling in Love With You. Last time a guy requested John Prine and the first song that came to my head was Hello in There. As soon as I started it I realized it was maybe too close to home… but they loved it!

So glad to hear this! I love the song Hello in There, and have been wondering whether it’s appropriate for a senior situation! I rediscovered it when John Prine died last year, and it’s one of the most perfectly composed songs!
Old 01-05-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post

The next one I did was I Don't Look Good Naked Anymore. Must of did OK, I could hear them laughing.

Point is you may be surprised.
I just looked up “I Don’t Look Good Naked Anymore” and found this. Just awesome! I’ve started working on it. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/OOgd9hitEAE
Old 01-05-2022, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I just looked up “I Don’t Look Good Naked Anymore” and found this. Just awesome! I’ve started working on it. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/OOgd9hitEAE
We've been doing this song for years. It's a hit with 'the right crowd' but the one time I tried it at an assisted living facility it didn't go over well mostly (I assume) because they didn't know it. But played for a younger crowd in their 40-60s that can commiserate, it always gets a huge positive reaction.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:19 PM

Whole bunch in here to choose from. (I’m not too far away from that “target demographic!”)

https://songbook19.my-free.website/

Martin HD-35
Martin D-18
Taylor 814ce TSB
Taylor 522e 12-fret
Taylor 514ce
Taylor 355 12-string
Alvarez ABT610e Baritone 6
Yamaha C-40
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge

G4V Cyber Instructor
Old 01-10-2022, 11:59 PM

I agree with those who just play and sing anything. I work as physical therapist at a nursing home and play random covers, instrumentals and originals when I’m done with my shift. Although playing a recognizable song is nice, I noticed majority of them are just happy to enjoy the company and use the music as a connection.
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage

Last edited by djcarolino; 01-11-2022 at 12:14 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion