The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2021, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Did a neighborhood set for 4th of July this year. A 95 year old neighbor, across the street, really liked my version of Georgia On My Mind.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Recalling the "how old are we?" thread, most of us are pretty much old-fart-home fodder ourselves. You can call it a "gig" but I know you old fossils are casing the rest homes for your not-so-distant-future temporary address.

So, pretty much whatever you like is probably what all the other old timers like, too.

We play bluegrass and classic C&W when we play there.
Lol - you're not wrong! We've begun playing in earnest and I do find myself thinking, "This place is not bad. I could see living here!"
Old 12-29-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
In not too many years nursing home tunes my have to include classic rock material
One is tempted to speculate whether somebody in one of those homes has already yelled--Play Free Bird!
Old 12-29-2021, 10:50 AM

Very nice thread... with some... jokes !
Thanks guys !
Old 12-29-2021, 11:48 AM

Well, I'll be 75 in a about a week. It's pretty clear to me that most of the replies here have been written by, um rather younger people. I am no where near ready for a nursing or retirement home, but if I were, I would want to hear the music I grew up with. So, when you book the gig or, if you rather, errand of mercy, ask the facility about the age range of the residents then taylor your setlist(s) to include a mix of old standards, even back into the 1940's and up to, say, the 1980's. Keep some newer material in your back pocket, though, there might just be some forward thinkers in the crowd, and besides, music can reach everyone of any age.

Many years ago, I used to play occasionally at a home for crippled children (that term was in the name of the home -- I am not being politically incorrect) The children had a variety of disabilities. One young boy was deaf in addition to other issues. He would sit near me on the stage and would just touch his fingertips to the top of my guitar. When the song was really up-beat he would smile broadly, and at the slower sad songs he would look sort of pensive.

The point is that music can reach almost everyone and evoke emotion in anyone.

A kudos to all of you out there who bring the gift of music to people who just might need that gift.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB

Last edited by rmgjsps; 12-29-2021 at 11:50 AM. Reason: fix typos
Old 12-29-2021, 12:01 PM

I've played a bit in these settings and second the Everly Bros. suggestion. What I've noticed that goes over better than anything are songs with big harmonies and strong vocals. My wife and I play/sing songs no one in the place has ever heard, but everyone listens closely when the harmonies are big and beautiful. If you're going to do hymns, keep them traditional as many older folks don't think they should be changed. A lot of people overthink gigs like this. They are people after all, just older and ones that don't get around as well as they once did. Like everyone, they just want to hear something beautiful.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Smile Songs from our youth…

“ I would want to hear the music I grew up with. So, when you book the gig or, if you rather, errand of mercy, ask the facility about the age range of the residents then taylor your setlist(s) to include a mix of old standards, even back into the 1940's and up to, say, the 1980's. Keep some newer material in your back pocket, though, there might just be some forward thinkers in the crowd, and besides, music can reach everyone of any age.”

Absolutely right, above!

Most folks want the songs they remember from their youth. So if they are 101 like my mother in law, that means songs from the 1920s to the 1940s, and songs that were already hits repeatedly back then, too.

Tons of research shows singing is really good for everyone, and especially folks suffering memory loss. Very interesting how the brain stores music and calling it up in memory activates a lot of other memories.

I am pleased that I can also get a great reaction to an occasional original song, by leading in with a story about how it got written.

Remember that many with memory loss are still just as smart in the moment as they ever were, so don’t play too many simple oldies in a row!

Just play with love and good intention! It really does help

Cheers and happy new Year

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 12-29-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:55 PM

When my mom-in-law was still with us she was in an assisted living facility.

One night I had other commitments so my wife went to see her by herself. It happened to a night where they had live music.

She told me about it later that one of songs was Come on Baby Light My Fire.
I laughed because we thought it was kind of out of place for a nursing home.

But then again.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-29-2021, 01:18 PM

Thee are two different crowds that you have to please at assisted living homes.
First is the people living there.
Second is the Staff and the person that hired you.

Find a mix of songs that both will like.

My most liked songs are older and familiar songs like,
Puff, This Land and Country Roads.
A few old Western songs are also always a hit.

I add a few songs that I do well but most assisted living residents won't recognize but because they come off very well, they are well received.
Try to add a song or two that are sing a long type songs.
Get the folk involved in the music.

The most important thing is to be sure of yourself and don't burry yourself in a songbook or tablet.
These people are watching you and want to make contact with you.

Have fun and so will the people that you are singing to.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:22 PM

You can't tell what someone young wants to hear just by their age, and particularly with the age spread so wide at a retirement home, no way to know then either. I always cover a wide variety and pay attention to what kind of response I'm getting.

Had a guy that told me he was 82 a few years ago and all three times he came up to say how much he liked a song, they were all songs he'd never heard before. Old people are still individuals and will still have differing preferences. Play to that.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 12-29-2021, 03:45 PM

Methos, that's a great set list. And it must feel great to know you are bringing joy to some of our senior citizens. Good on you and your wife.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Nursing/Retirement home songs

Methos’s list is pretty perfect, can’t add much to that!
The best reception I’ve gotten at a senior center is ‘I Can’t Help Falling in Love With You,’ which usually gets some singalong also.
I’ve been learning new, old songs for this crowd, which is fun. I’ve enjoyed learning Moon River, Georgia, and Hey Good Lookin’ with good feedback. I hope we get to actually play there again, in person, soon!
Besides real old songs, (it’s all relative, eh?) they also liked some Beatles and James Taylor early hits. The staff likes this as well as some Motown. An original gets a polite reception, and is probably self indulgent, but I’m playing for free!
While it’s not in my repertoire yet, I’ve found ‘Crazy’ to be very popular there in singalongs and karaoke they do.

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 12-29-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
When my mom-in-law was still with us she was in an assisted living facility.

One night I had other commitments so my wife went to see her by herself. It happened to a night where they had live music.

She told me about it later that one of songs was Come on Baby Light My Fire.
I laughed because we thought it was kind of out of place for a nursing home.

But then again.
I have played at the assisted living center where my mother lives, and have gotten good response to "Come on Baby Light my Fire" as well as "Wild Thing." However, that's more about laughter than about singing along. When I did the Everly Bros "All I have to do is dream," people were singing along and at least remembered the words to the chorus.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:59 AM

My friend Mary Sue has made a serious practice of this and has many resources, some of which you can review on the website, others would be for sale. Check this:

https://singinghearttoheart.com/meet-mary-sue
Old 12-30-2021, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Thanks. We agree. With the average age of the facilities we play running from the mid-70s to 90s, songs from the 50s and 60s are right in their wheelhouse. We got a few comments from activities directors that said we 'don't play the usual' songs that a lot of people play and it was 'refreshing'. But the biggest compliment is when a resident comes up after we play and they say that they have CD's they listen to that have every song we play. And every show we play we have several that tear up on certain songs.
I agree that you've got a great list and thanks for sharing it. I would only add Moon River as this gets our assisted living crowd singing along every time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion