The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-25-2021, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I’d say just try them - that’s what life is all about, right? And don’t judge them right away - I find they take a day or two to “settle”. Then they have a very nice tone that lasts for a very long time. Worrying about cost and “waste” is not useful - I have to imagine you’ve paid that much for a meal at a drive thru, and you probably will again -
Old 12-26-2021, 07:37 AM

As some have mentioned here, if I did not like the SUS heavies, I doubt I will like these SC Med Tensions. I really wanted to like the SUS but my guitar seemed to go completely lifeless when I put them on. I had wanted to try both the SUS and the SC and opted for the SUS first because they cost so much less. I then abandoned the project and never bought any of the SC. The set I have now was a Christmas gift. So if I put them on and don't like them, I'm really out of nothing; on the other hand, I could sell them and get almost three sets of strings that I know I would enjoy.

I've got a nice set of strings on right now that have plenty of life left in them. I'll probably put on the SCs out of curiosity's sake. If they don't work, then at least I'll know.

It seems like I read somewhere that the SUS/SC concept works best for strings in standard tuning, and since I tune down a whole step it throws off the formula.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
It seems like I read somewhere that the SUS/SC concept works best for strings in standard tuning, and since I tune down a whole step it throws off the formula.
Roger Siminoff himself said that although I cannot recall where.

In your case the torque load across the bridge would be the same as the set at full tension. So at DGCFAD you should still get that same balance? I think it is when you change one or a hybrid of strings that Roger said you will no longer have a perfectly balanced torque load and thus defeat the selling point of the SUS or SCGC Parabolics.

I personally like how they sound even under varied tunings but realize this is all so subjective. Good luck finding what works for you!
Old 12-28-2021, 08:04 AM

Exclamation

Figured I'd post an update...

I put the SC mid tension strings on yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. Like I said earlier in this thread, I tune down a whole step and was concerned about the SC strings being too light. They aren't. In fact, they feel only slightly lighter than a reg set of medium strings. It's like a cross between lights and mediums, more like a 12.5 set than a true 13.

They have made a noticeable improvement in playability and feel, which is exactly what I was hoping for. They might even end up being the perfect set of strings since I've been looking for something stiffer than lights but not as stiff as traditional mediums.

I almost didn't try them because of my experience with SUS heavies. I don't like going online and speaking ill of companies, especially small American companies, but I'll just say the SUS didn't sound or feel good on my guitar. Your experience may vary, and likely will. I only bring this up in case you tried the SUS before, and since the SCs are a similar concept, might have decided they would be the same. In my experience they are not.

The SCs are very brassy sounding at first but I'm sure they will settle down. All strings do.

It's funny... I had put these strings on my Xmas list a couple years ago and forgot about it. A relative must have got hold of the list, so I recv'd them as a Xmas present. So potentially the best set of strings I might ever find ended up coming to me out of the blue. It's funny how things work sometimes.

All said, I'd say give these SC strings a try if you've been curious. This is a great time of year to do so since many people recv'd gift cards for Xmas. My parsimony probably would have never let me spent $18 on a set of strings. But now that I know they work well I'd consider it money well spent.

As in all things, YMMV.

Last edited by Puddleglum; 12-28-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

I like these strings too, the low tension as well. While expensive, they last much much longer than standard PB, making them a great value.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Thats exactly what I’ve found, and they are a great choice on many of my guitars. Santa Cruz has also released their baritone sets, in low and medium tension, and should be releasing their Dadgad and 12 string sets in the near future. I change strings because I have to, not because I like to, so the fact that these strings last and sound great for a very long time make them my first choice when changing strings -
Old 12-28-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
SC Mid tension strings are designed around a similar concept as D’Addarrio EJ-24 True Mediums or John Pearse 710NM New Mediums, in that they combine Medium gauge E, B, and high e string tensions with Light gauge A, D, and G strings.

SC strings make dry(er) sounding guitars like a Gibson J-45 or Martin D-18 sound harmonically rich. However I find that they add too much to already rich by default sounding guitars like a Santa Cruz.

YMMV
I agree with Brencat

I'm using Santa Cruz mids on my HD28 and D-18 and martin 80/20 lights on my Santa Cruz.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:50 AM

I've had the SCGC Mid Tensions on for a couple weeks now. I play with a pretty heavy hand and they hold tune well, and show zero signs of wear. The brassiness and "shimmer" was noticeable when they were new but has mellowed out. I suppose they must have a coating of some kind on them but I don't feel or notice it. They are really wonderful strings. If the price tag has scared you off thus far, give them a try.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I suppose they must have a coating of some kind on them but I don't feel or notice it.
I agree they don't feel like most other "coated" strings. Their website does say, "...and micro-coating assures long life by preventing corrosive moisture...", although outer packaging doesn't say "coated" anywhere. They're emphasizing tension engineering (and its effect on EQ) as the main selling point. As I mentioned a few weeks ago I've used the mid-tension for some time and really like them. For me they last quite long, offsetting the cost.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:42 AM

Default Santa Cruz Parabolic Medium Strings

The SC Parabolic Mediums are the best fit I've found for my Martin 000-18 Authentic. I agree with Brencat that they add a richness to the tone of a dry guitar. Super strings... expensive, though.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I've settled on the Parabolic Mediums for my Journey RT660. I really like what they do tone wise and feel on that guitar.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:56 AM

Yet another update:

So according to this thread I installed the SCGC Mid Tensions on 27 Dec, and yesterday (12 Feb) I took them off. I play pretty aggressively and have found over the years that before strings start to sound bad on my guitar, they start losing tuning stability. Someone once told me this is because playing too hard, particularly with the fretting hand, will sort of flatten the bottom of the strings and throw everything out of whack. So I didn't even get two full months out of a set of $18 strings. I LOVE the strings but am disappointed with the short lifespan, which is about what I get from every set of strings.

Last night I put on a set of La Bella Bluegrass strings, which already feel too light and slinky in comparison to the wonderful SCGC Mids. I'd like to buy some more SCGCs but, man, that's a lot of money for a set of strings!

Last edited by Puddleglum; 02-13-2022 at 08:10 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-13-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE snip… I'd like to buy some more SCGCs but, man, that's a lot of money for a set of strings![/QUOTE]

No knock on your choice, but while walking with my friend yesterday I asked her if she hears much discussion about strings on her Cello Forum. She said — it’s never ending. Then I asked her how much cello strings cost. She said there is a range, but she spends about $25 PER STRING! I was floored.

Btw, I really like SCGC strings on some of my guitars. I use mostly coated or treated strings and usually change strings every 3 months. I changed my SCGC strings yesterday and when I checked my records, they had been on for 5 months. I never get more than 5 or 6 weeks with uncoated/untreated stings.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:26 AM

Another fan here, enough so that I have signed up for a subscription and will receive both mid and low tensions strings fresh from the SCGC every few months. Beyond their tone, I love the way the mids feel like lights yet sound like a mediums.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 02-13-2022, 10:20 AM

My take from this thread....

My SC 000 Engelmann topped guitar would not benefit from these strings because of the already present overtones of the wood.

Correct???

Enjoying:

Larrivee CS-09 DF (Sitka/Ziricote)

Recording King ROS 616 (All Mahogany) project

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion