The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-25-2021, 07:23 AM

Default Santa Cruz Mid Tension Strings

I recently recv'd a set of these strings and have never tried them. I looked them up and see they sell for $18 a set! I normally use medium gauge strings and tune down a whole step. Sometimes I'd like a _slightly_ lighter touch, but light or even med-light strings are too slinky. I'm wondering if these SC Mid Tensions will work or be too light? I know I can put them on and find out, but I just hate to waste a set of $18 strings. Do any of you have experience with these? The search feature surprisingly came up with very little info.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:28 AM

I have limited experience with them (just the light tension ones), but I think you should give them a try. They sound pretty good!
Old 12-25-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

They might feel a little slinky tuned a whole step down. They have the same tension as many light gauge sets. I still think you should try them though FWIW.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 12-25-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
They might feel a little slinky tuned a whole step down. They have the same tension as many light gauge sets. I still think you should try them though FWIW.
This is curious to me, how a "mid tension" set can have the same tension as many lights? Maybe I'm not fully understanding the concept behind these SC strings? On the package is written: "Gauge means nothing. Tension means everything." I'm mostly concerned that I will put them on, dislike them immensely, and immediately trash them. (This very thing happened when I tried Straight Up Strings heavies.) It just seems like a waste of $18.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I mostly use elixir pb mediums and like them.

The feller who sold me my iris df put sc medium
Tension strings on it. I know because they felt
So different to me (not bad, different) that I asked
Him what they were. People who like to try
Different strings should probably try a set of
These, I don’t think it is marketing hype.

-Mike
Old 12-25-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

SC Mid tension strings are designed around a similar concept as D’Addarrio EJ-24 True Mediums or John Pearse 710NM New Mediums, in that they combine Medium gauge E, B, and high e string tensions with Light gauge A, D, and G strings.

SC strings make dry(er) sounding guitars like a Gibson J-45 or Martin D-18 sound harmonically rich. However I find that they add too much to already rich by default sounding guitars like a Santa Cruz.

YMMV

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-25-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
This is curious to me, how a "mid tension" set can have the same tension as many lights? Maybe I'm not fully understanding the concept behind these SC strings? On the package is written: "Gauge means nothing. Tension means everything." I'm mostly concerned that I will put them on, dislike them immensely, and immediately trash them. (This very thing happened when I tried Straight Up Strings heavies.) It just seems like a waste of $18.

I like them on my Eastman 40 OM (haven’t tried the yet on my other
guitars, but I will).
You have them on hand, give them a try. If you don’t like them, oh well. As it stands, the $18.00 is not being used anyways.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:40 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve used them one a variety of guitars and liked them on most. But I loved them on a J-45 I had. I always include them when I’m trying strings on new guitars. I think they’d be worth a try for you too.

Old 12-25-2021, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

…after reading this thread this morning I went and got my SC Tony Rice that is strung with SC low tension mediums…I have never tuned it below standard pitch so I didn’t know what to expect…

…..it’s worth noting that this particular guitar has action that is close and on the lower side of Dreadnought setups…it’s a great setup so it plays clear and buzz free in standard tuning…

….so I dropped it down a whole step and played it for a bit…. Its the bees knees for fingerpicking…even aggressive finger style…..beautiful full rumble and fat but still a bit sparkly on the top end…..I tuned it to drop C and the bottom C still sounded terrific….it maintained some crispness and made the guitar sound huge…. easy to get lost in….

….as for strumming and flat picking…..as expected you need to take a bit off your attack…but if you do it sounds nice and clear and not flabby and overdriven….I really like it for soft strumming…..big full open sound to sing over….but if you’re wanting to tune down a whole step and lay into it with a flatpick they’re probably not the strings you want….fwiw I’m gonna leave it tuned down for a while…

…my recommendation is to give em a shot…

Last edited by J Patrick; 12-25-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
......I normally use medium gauge strings and tune down a whole step.....I'm wondering if these SC Mid Tensions will work or be too light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Agree w-Lillis. I use them (mid-tension) and like them quite a bit on several guitars. Besides tension, the wrap, to me, has a different, more supple feel vs other strings. I guess the only way you'll know if they work for you tuning down is to try them. If your guitar isn't a shorter scale it may help. Re price, I find they last at least twice as long as other "regular", non-coated, etc. strings.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:39 AM

My last SC string set had black "dots" at irregular intervals along the length of the unwound strings, not sure what it was but maybe corrosion. And they sounded very average, for a very above average cost. A few years ago I tried them and like them. This set, the opposite experience. I won't be using them going forward.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 12-25-2021, 10:55 AM

I am a big fan of the SCs. Have to use the low tensions on the little PJ. The other guitars all get mediums most of the time. Like Brencat said, they can sometimes sound a little rich on some guitars. I find for my ear, they are great on my SC OM with Sitka and rosewood, however they sometimes strike me as a little overkill on the Lowden with a spruce top and coco back n sides. If you are going to try them, they can take a day or so ‘relax’.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 12-25-2021, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you didn’t like the SUS heavies then I don’t think you’ll like the SC. Maybe you can trade another forum member for a couple sets of strings you know you’ll like. I’ve done that before. Paying a little shipping is better than wasting a good set of strings. Just a thought.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 12-25-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
If you didn’t like Straight Up Strings, that makes it less likely that you will like the Santa Cruz strings.

I personally LOVE Straight Up Strings on most of my guitars (I didn’t like the way they sounded on my Goodall).
Old 12-25-2021, 11:13 AM

My guess is that if you tried the Straight Up Strings Heavies and didn’t like them then you won’t like the SCGC Mid Tension. I did like the SCGC enough to try SUS Heavies. I personally love them with the exception they may be a little too heavy and so bought a sets of SUS in M and L tensions to see what will work best for me.

Also, I got 2.5 to 3 months from the SCGC Mid Tensions on a guitar that I was playing exclusively before noticing degradation in tone. I put in some hours on those strings and thought they were pretty great! $6 per month for strings is the ballpark for popular coated varieties; works out to be a deal if you like what they do to your guitar but would likely make you feel suckered if you don’t.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion