The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2022, 12:45 PM

Default Learned Something New Today!

This kinda fishtails off of last weeks Yamaha disappointment someone was feeling. Setting up your guitar and installing a new saddle is not as daunting as it seems. I have been wanting to learn the mystic art for a while but was not keen to take the wrenches to my 000-18.

I picked up a Yamaha FS700s online for $100 that was listed as being a 2 on a scale of 1-5. When it arrived it was really dirty, couple of scratches and the action was over 3.5mm at the 12th. The truss rod and neck seemed good but It sounded like a tin box.

I bought a compensated bone saddle from All-parts and a Music Nomad string action gauge. It all arrived and I went to my measurements and disassembly. I wanted to shoot for about 2 mm at the 12, figuring less is better and leaving room for error. I took out the old plastic saddle and made my marks on the new bone saddle and went to sanding on some 60 grit paper. About 15 minutes later I was ready to install, the saddle was a little long for the slot so I then sanded the sides a hair and it dropped right in. Tuned her up and cleaned up and I will admit she plays much better than any $100 guitar deserves to (kinda makes me question my buying habits).

Anyways, don't be afraid to take the plunge and do some minor stuff on your gear. An hour of my time on a cold Saturday with a fun project got me a cool little guitar to play with. Might install some rotomatics next...
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster
Old 02-12-2022, 01:26 PM

Great job! You now have an excuse to buy even more guitars. You get to do more set-ups.

It really is a great skill to add. I have found that I enjoy the work and documenting/getting to know my guitars. Like you, it wasn't as out of my reach as I had expected.

I find the Music Nomad tools to be well sorted and like their videos. Forum member Charles Tauber's generous set-up guide is also a great resource. If you find you need nut slot work, Music Nomad has a nice set of files that while not cheap are more affordable than some others. Our Yamaha needed the slots filed, and our other guitars benefited from a fine tuning.

I agree, the Yamahas are that good. It kind of takes the fun out of the searching I'm doing for another guitar, but it isn't stopping me.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-12-2022, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the input. I m looking forward to learning more and although I was excited for my new skill, my wife has informed me that we will not be flipping guitars as a weekend gig so I guess my retirement dreams are on hold, HA, HA.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklemm18 View Post
...my wife has informed me that we will not be flipping guitars...
So that means you'll just have to hold on to them. Its a win either way

It's fun to learn to do your own setups. It gives you a closer connection to your guitar. Maybe a set of nut files are in your future? I've found that about half of my new guitars needed some adjustments of the nut slot depth. Just like the saddle, it's easy to do if you go slow, and read up about it before hand.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:12 PM

I once took the neck off a harmony sovereign. Built the steamer contraption and managed to slowly remove the neck without any real issue. Learned a lesson about shaving off too much material on the dovetail but in the end I got the neck back on. Long story short, even a neck reset isn’t out of the realm for an amateur…
Old 02-13-2022, 02:36 AM

Wow, I am definitely not getting any delusions of doing my own neck resets.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:59 AM

It's so much easier to buy a project guitar when you can do the work yourself, and rewarding as well.

Sounds like you did a great job and you've resurrected a FS700s. Does it compare tonewise to other 700/800 series Yamahas?
Old 02-13-2022, 07:07 AM

Great stuff. That was my thread about the Yamaha. It’s funny, the experience had me looking at project guitars to mess around with, but the prospect of doing more damage than good moved me off the thought. But your post has me looking at Craig's list again.

Funny aside, I saw a listing on Craigs list for an older beginner guitar that was in pretty good shape. The main downside listed was “Guitar needs tuning.”
Old 02-13-2022, 07:20 AM

I took the plunge a while back and am sure glad I did. Saddle sanding and shaping and truss rod adjustments are all that many guitars need to be at optimal playing set up. I've yet to file nuts or slot bridges (my next foray) but the best way to learn is on a cheap Craigslist guitar. And you may find that after your adjustments, that $100 Yamaha, Seagull, or Alvarez (or whatever brand) is a darn nice guitar. I've done this on a couple then donated them to a beginner.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ish5 View Post
Great stuff. That was my thread about the Yamaha. It’s funny, the experience had me looking at project guitars to mess around with, but the prospect of doing more damage than good moved me off the thought. But your post has me looking at Craig's list again.

Funny aside, I saw a listing on Craigs list for an older beginner guitar that was in pretty good shape. The main downside listed was “Guitar needs tuning.”
It was actually a good confident builder. My Martin is great but the action is a little high and I had been wanting to lower it for a while. I bought a bone saddle that I am going to work on and install and see how it goes. Worst case, I have the original to reinstall so I'm pretty confident. Will keep you posted.

Whle I see your point about it not being something a total beginner should have to deal with I would say that any one with basic knowledge of guitars and the internet can do it.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:24 AM

My Alvarez came in with a high action... Took a file to the saddle..after removing it LOL...
The action was nice and low after that....But I can be heavy-handed on certain songs and the action was too low,,, Dang
Loosened the strings pulled out the saddle...cut a strip off an old credit card put it in the slot...saddle went in and now it's perfect

I have a vise in my garage....I clamp the saddle at the desired height and file away, I have broken saddles trying to file them without the clamping, So that's the way I do it now

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion