The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2022, 09:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
You would have been dealing with a claims adjuster from the underwriter, Travelers or The Hartford. Do you remember which company?
I was dealing with the two people who ran / run Heritage. Joan and a man. His name slips my mind but perhaps Hershel?
Old 02-08-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I was dealing with the two people who ran / run Heritage. Joan and a man. His name slips my mind but perhaps Hershel?
Yes, Hershel. I assume there were provisions of the policy that excluded coverage. There has to be more to this story.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

I shipped a new guitar from Ohio to CA and it arrived there with a severely broken top. My Heritage business policy covered shipping damage and loss. They (Heritage) wanted me to send the guitar to two different "stores" for appraisals to repair the top. The customer said no to Heritage's ludicrous offer to repair the top. The customer ordered and rightfully expected a NEW guitar and not a repaired guitar. Heritage refused to refund the retail cost of the guitar and it went back and forth between us for MONTHS. Finally after getting no where I called the Better Business Bureau and filed a case against Heritage. Then within 30 minutes of filing the case Heritage called me and agreed to refund us the entire retail amount which I had already refunded to the customer months earlier. After our policy term expired I took our business insurance elsewhere.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I shipped a new guitar from Ohio to CA and it arrived there with a severely broken top. My Heritage business policy covered shipping damage and loss. They (Heritage) wanted me to send the guitar to two different "stores" for appraisals to repair the top. The customer said no to Heritage's ludicrous offer to repair the top. The customer ordered and rightfully expected a NEW guitar and not a repaired guitar. Heritage refused to refund the retail cost of the guitar and it went back and forth between us for MONTHS. Finally after getting no where I called the Better Business Bureau and filed a case against Heritage. Then within 30 minutes of filing the case Heritage called me and agreed to refund us the entire retail amount which I had already refunded to the customer months earlier. After our policy term expired I took our business insurance elsewhere.
Wow Tim that is awful. It drives me nuts when I experience business practices like you describe. I had an experience with a car dealership recently that was on the same level as the one you describe with Heritage. In the end you hope losing your business will have a positive effect, but I’m afraid it might is more indicative of the state and of commerce today. I would imagine you heart really hit the floor when you found out about the way that guitar arrived.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 02-11-2022, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

I personally would not expect full retail reimbursement for a guitar with a damaged top, but I would expect repair + loss of value. Unless very explicitly spelled out the damaged guitar would still have some value I would think, assuming it could be repaired / re-topped
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 02-12-2022, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

I recently created a Heritage policy for my musical instruments. FYI, in addition to guitars, they will also cover effects pedals (I have an expensive Helix) and other instruments, accessories, etc. I haven't needed it, but I plan to sell a couple of guitars in 2022, and I sometimes air travel with a guitar, so I appreciate having the coverage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion