The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2022, 09:05 AM

We gotta get outta this place......Animals

I bought this thread back up..because I'm getting serious about doing this in 2022...Senior/Retirement Homes that is
Old 02-12-2022, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
We gotta get outta this place......Animals

I bought this thread back up..because I'm getting serious about doing this in 2022...Senior/Retirement Homes that is
Lol - great song! And the sentiment is not too far from the truth. We've been warned a couple times at memory care type facilities that residents will sometimes attempt to 'escape' with the band when they leave. We have really upped our ASL game this year since retiring and are booking a lot of senior center gigs.

When we first started we preferred the larger, amplified shows but now we find we much prefer the very small, all-acoustic shows done in small senior center homes where the room is basically a small living room with usually 5-6 residents. We love the simplicity of just a guitar and our vocals plus the intimacy of being several feet from the residents.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Lol - great song! And the sentiment is not too far from the truth. We've been warned a couple times at memory care type facilities that residents will sometimes attempt to 'escape' with the band when they leave. We have really upped our ASL game this year since retiring and are booking a lot of senior center gigs.

When we first started we preferred the larger, amplified shows but now we find we much prefer the very small, all-acoustic shows done in small senior center homes where the room is basically a small living room with usually 5-6 residents. We love the simplicity of just a guitar and our vocals plus the intimacy of being several feet from the residents.
How long is the gig on average....?
Old 02-12-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
No more than an hour.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We’ve done hundreds of these gigs, almost always a one hour show.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:58 PM

I like that...1 hour...so roughly 12-15 songs
Old 02-12-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I like that...1 hour...so roughly 12-15 songs
That is about right. I usually allow about 3.5 minutes per song, along with any banter that may be involved.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Yes, senior center shows are always an hour. That's about the limit for them anyway. For us that's closer to 20 songs since all of the songs we play are oldies that are generally between 2-3 minutes, tops. There's not much in the way of banter with many of these venues. Sometimes the smaller ones where the residents are up close and more active and alert we'll engage more. It's always wonderful to hear them singing from all directions on the songs they know and love.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:38 PM

I haven't read every post in this thread, so I may be repeating what someone else suggested. I've always gotten a good response out of older folks with the simple ditty "I Guess I Just Don't Look Good Naked, Anymore."

Not as raunchy as it sounds, and it will flex lax belly-laugh muscles.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:05 PM

I was in a band that did these shows for a number of years (I was playing bass, occasional double on guitar). The setlist would vary depending on the place - we'd do everything from a traditional "retirement home" to assisted living and some that were more for developmentally disabled. The latter often had people in their 30s-50s so we'd skew a bit more modern. A typical set would start out with some jazz standards, move to 50's "rock" (Elvis, etc), then if the crowd seemed into it, into 60's stuff like Dock of the Bay, Mustang Sally, etc.

Aside from the bandleader who was certifiable, some of the most gratifying gigs I've ever played. You would occasionally have some folks who were frozen in time/space by dementia or other ailments. When they started tapping their feet and moving to the music - well, that was kind of a small miracle.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-12-2022, 09:28 PM

Blue Eyes Crying in The Rain
Yesterday
I'll Be Over You (When The Grass Grows Over Me) - George Jones
This Land Is your Land
Wild Wood Flower
Turkey In The Straw
Faded Coat Of Blue
Red River Valley
Down In The Valley
Prisoners Song
Yellow Rose Of Texas
Red Wing
There was a Time.
I See The Moon

These are songs my grandma who was in a nursing home 12 years ago sang
these

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion