The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I wanted a Kopp…but Kevin also had a two year wait. And I’m also getting up there in age. I thought if I waited much longer I could be dead. So I went ahead and placed my order.

Now I’m only nine months away from delivery and considering what to sell to make room.

Go for it.
My 18 month wait for my Fairbanks was worth every second. And now that it's here, it puts a smile on my face whenever I pick it up to play. Commissioning a custom guitar build can't be beat.

Rick
Old 02-08-2022, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I have the impression you will not consider a used guitar. Is this correct?

There are a few around...

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/20...uce-66082.html
I would consider used if the seller was local and I could spend some time inspecting and playing the guitar.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Have you looked at the GC and GA style Taylors? (Grand Auditorium models end in a 4, Grand Concert models end in a 2). Bother are "between" the Parlor and dread size that you are looking for, and both are very well made.

Breedlove also makes wonderful guitars. I like the Myrtlewood guitars from their Oregon series and think they have a wonderful sound, but I suspect these need to be auditioned individually as I have no idea how the sound varies from example to example. I DO know that I have played two. One sounded very nice indeed, and the other wasn't as well rounded. It COULD have been the rooms I was playing in too. These instruments are also "between" the sizes you are looking at.

Just throwing out a few more ideas, and both of these manufacturers usually have plenty of availability of product vs others.
A Taylor guitar sounds great as long as I'm not playing it.

I have found Breedlove guitars to be inconsistent in quality. I have never seen a Myrtlewood guitar in this part of the US.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I don't buy new or even very clean guitars. First of all, I like older guitars, secondly, I don't want something to worry about. I've had very good luck buying guitars from someone who gigged with them for a while. Buy something good enough to enjoy, rough enough to take everywhere. If a guitar looks decent from ten feet away, that's fine. Or if you wish, an old J 45 that looks like it was played very hard. Add to the patina with the time you have left.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-08-2022, 04:10 PM

I will "pile on" with those suggesting the Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic. Very good sounding and playing guitar. Even the most expensive variant (Ambertone Aged) will cost around $6200.

Now, I hear scuttlebutt that Martin will likely introduce a mahogany variant in the near future, if you simply must have 'hog.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 02-08-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Since you titled your thread this way and the thought of donating the money to a worthy cause is on your mind, I'd say go that route! I've come to the realization that I probably need to leave this forum due to it always fueling GAS for me, when I have 3 amazing guitars already and have NO NEED for another one.
The most fun you will every have with money is giving it away to someone who really needs it.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiimm View Post
The most fun you will every have with money is giving it away to someone who really needs it.
I second this! It's one of the few things that bring me true joy.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-09-2022, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiimm View Post
So true! It is a great feeling...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-09-2022, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

i bought a used Clapton 000-28 a few years ago for $1600. A little beat up but not bad and came with my favored pickup K&K. Sounds fantastic. I was in my luthier's shop with it a while ago when he'd just finished fixing up a 30's 000-28. Yes, the real deal. I couldn't tell the difference between them, both fantastic.

But i play my '37 00-17 more than any of my others. Just love the sound and playability.

Also, I second the suggestion about CF if you like carry around. My little parlor Rainsong is perfect for the beach and such and I hardly know it's on my back in the gig bag. It sounds fantastic plugged in with the K&K i added.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 02-10-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I would consider used if the seller was local and I could spend some time inspecting and playing the guitar.
For this kind of money I'd make myself local to the guitar. Air flights are so inexpensive right now I'd see nothing preventing me from buying a $250 air ticket to look at a guitar that might be perfect for me AND save me a few thousand over a new one
Old 02-10-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
And for the record, all the things that are discussed here are First World Problems...
That is the very first thing that crossed my mind before I read the OP. So true!
Old 02-10-2022, 10:52 PM

If the OP is anywhere near Atlanta then he is welcome to try out my Eastman E10OM-TC.

In fact, everyone is welcome. Just send me a PM. We'll work something out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion