The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2014, 02:31 PM

Default Am I the only one...???

Since arthritis has decided my dread days are over, sigh, I've done two things for years now with my OM/000's. One many folks do, tune down 1/2 step, but the other (and the combination) I don't think I've seen here, using 13's on small bodies, I consider anything but a dread/jumbo the beginning of small body guitars, I know some folks don't consider OM/000's small bodies, but I do, anyway........

13's down 1/2 step are about the same pressure as 12's at concert pitch, so no need to worry about over-stressing an instrument (that I'm aware of), and if you want to add some depth and richness to an OM/000 try 13's down 1/2 step.

Others may well be doing it, but I don't think it's a common practice, and the tone is so much warmer than using lights, unless you want a bright sound, that it's worth a pack of strings if you've never tried it.

If you're a flatpicker especially, give it a try...........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-12-2014, 02:36 PM

Your not the only one!!!

This is exactly what I do with my om's (when I have them that is)

I would do this with my dread too but i mainly use that for bluegrass playing and I don't want to have to capo all the time to be in tune with everyone else.

This really makes oms great. For me, an OM is a guitar I take to the campfire, so to speak. For singing along and stuff, and i like having the ability to sing in a lower key. Your right though, it adds a lot of depth and really makes a good om sound huge.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:44 PM

I designed and built a guitar based on the arthritis I am experiencing. I have sold all of my jumbos and most of my Dred's with a Seagull SM 12, Taylor 550, along with a Takamine F360S as my only remaining Dreds. Yes I feel your pain.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
I designed and built a guitar based on the arthritis I am experiencing. I have sold all of my jumbos and most of my Dred's with a Seagull SM 12, Taylor 550, along with a Takamine F360S as my only remaining Dreds. Yes I feel your pain.
I have grown to love OM/000's, I really don't miss dreads anymore. My buddy leave a Custom shop Martin HD-28 Alpine/Madagascar here (we play a lot) and I barely touch it. The 13's down 1/2 step really do change OM/000's to potent warm instruments, let's them fight out of their weight class.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Talking not the only one!

"Others may well be doing it, but I don't think it's a common practice, and the tone is so much warmer than using lights"

Count me in! Had my Gibson and RP-10 filed for 13/56 and the result is pure tonal heaven!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM

I do it quite often anything lighter than a 12 is like playing with sewing thread to me.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:01 PM

I am in the same the same boat. While I find the thicker necks more and more comfy I have gone a different route than tuning down or going to a smaller body guitar. I adapted my style to evolving limitations. Barre chords are no longer in my repertoire and I now primarily use my right hand thumb and index finger to pick. The others still come into play but far more sparingly than at one time.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 PM

I am sorry to hear that you have had to give up playing Dreads Rich.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:11 PM

I've given up on Dreadnaughts as well. My Last was a Bourgeois Country Boy with the red spruce top.

Just this year I received a Martin 00-18V and I could not be happier.

Merry Christmas Rich, I look forward to seeing you in Arlington next fall, Mike Yankie, the Texas Tube Amplifier Company guy.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

That's tough, but it's cool you've been able to shift gears and keep rolling.

I've got a cherry/spruce parlor used for open D and G tunings only that I've got strung with mediums. Love the tone - it seems to harness the resonance of the guitar more than lights - and provides a bit more tension for slide.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 12-12-2014, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I love tuning down, even with 12s; you immediately hear a new side of your guitar's personality. Unfortunately, I can really only practically do it when playing solo. Playing in a jazz context with other instruments (cello, sax, upright bass, ect) it ends up being much more trouble than it's worth.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
Your not the only one!!!
Wait...you're still under warranty! How can you have arthritis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
This really makes oms great. For me, an OM is a guitar I take to the campfire, so to speak. For singing along and stuff...
For fun, what would that guitar be?

I'm curious simply because part of my recent episode of emergency GAS was initially fueled by a desire to have a guitar for camping and the desert and such which would still be a good playing and sounding guitar.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieterK View Post
Wait...you're still under warranty! How can you have arthritis?

For fun, what would that guitar be?

I'm curious simply because part of my recent episode of emergency GAS was initially fueled by a desire to have a guitar for camping and the desert and such which would still be a good playing and sounding guitar.
!!

No I don't have arthritis, I just like the way it sounds!

For me it would be an Eastman e20om or e8om. I'm a big fan of eastman. I'm considering either an om or their 12 fret 00 one day. Every time I get ready to pull the trigger though I think to myself, I don't really need another guitar. I can take my d18a to the campfires, I've never been afraid of taking my nicer guitars out anyway. This guitar is a real gas killer
Old 12-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Guest 235664

Same arthritis issues. I was using Martin Light Mediums for awhile on my GS mini. Next I went back to 13's tuned a half step down. I then sanded the saddle down a little and tuned the 13's up to standard pitch. 80/20 Bronze has less tension than PB. This seems to be working.

By the way, I'm playing my Yamaha Dred lap slide, open D. Great fun. Adds spice to my recordings.
https://www.reverbnation.com/dougmac...eader_icon_nav

Last edited by Guest 235664; 12-12-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I love tuning down, even with 12s;
I have no choice but to tune down my 12 stringer - no neck reinforcement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion