The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Default Any owners of Waterloo guitars?

I thought I saw a post last week indicating that someone (was it maybe Bob Womack?) was expecting delivery of the Waterloo they ordered, but I can't find a follow up post/NGD thread. Am I looking in the wrong place? Has anyone accepted delivery of one, and had a week or two (or more) to explore it? I'd love to hear about the experience of someone (or several someones) who have played one for more than a couple of hours. And/or hear an update about when these beauties will be landing in stores (especially stores in SF area; I think I saw one on Gryphon's website a couple of weeks ago, but it isn't there now).
Old 12-12-2014, 12:15 PM

Check the Collings Forum. There are a few owners there who have begun to post their experiences. It sounds to me like the guitars are one (maybe two) trick ponies, but that they do those tricks so well, it would be difficult for another guitar to best them.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 PM

There was a thread titled: New Collings Waterloo Model . I don't know how to attach it here but you should be able to find it. I've spoke out on how much I love mine. If you can't find the thread I can PM you with my opinion. I don't want to be to redundant here.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:45 PM

I got a ladder braced one delivered last week. Unfortunately, I was doing an unexpected stay in the ICU when it came, so I haven't had a lot of time with it. I've been able to play it some, and it's exactly what I was hoping for. A better review will have to wait though.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I had one arrive this Tuesday and posted last week that it would be coming soon. The plan was to spend some time with it before commenting but I'll say now that I'm really loving it. It was shipped to me as soon as it arrived at the dealer (The Music Emporium in Lexington, Massachusetts) so it's really new and, I suspect, had been played little if at all before I got it. The tone has changed substantially (in the right direction) over the three days I've had it -- becoming noticeably louder and just better sounding.

Something that won't change as I play it more is its remarkably light weight: 3.3 pounds, which makes it the lightest 6-string guitar I've ever owned. Mine is the ladder-braced with T-bar neck support. I'll comment more extensively after I spend more time with it but so far, it's all I'd hoped it would be.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:18 PM

As above, it's wonderful. A marvel of sorts. Special. It isn't the most versatile thing in the world, but when you come to it for what it does best, whoa...it's formidable.

I've had mine two weeks--the ladder braced version--and it's gotten noticeably better. More authoritative, more open sounding.

As above, it's remarkably light. Airy. Yet, here's the neat twist, at least for me: rather than feeling like something delicate, it practically begs to be wailed on. Bring your fiercest Son House: this is what the guitar is made for.

The nitro finish is eerily like the Stella I grew up with from the early 60s. Playability and construction is light years better than that. The neck is thick, and chunky, but I love it. I don't have especially big hands, but I'm also pretty ecumenical about neck profiles, so for me it's no problem. If you really need a slim, modern neck, try one first.

It's lovely for finger picking blues.

Tuned down a whole step (a la some Lighting Hopkins) it's almost menacing. Tuned open and played with a slide...well...I almost fell over the first time I did it. I was in heaven. I felt like I was IN an Alan Lomax recording.

It's definitely not for everyone though, and I'd be hesitant to make it an only guitar.

Then again, what the hell? You can strum on it just fine too. I don't, but anyone can.

If you've looked at the formula behind these guitars, and you think this is for you, it's for you. Get it.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:27 PM

I'm waiting for the Custer's Last Stand model to come out next year. ............Mike
Old 12-12-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
I'm waiting for the Custer's Last Stand model to come out next year. ............Mike
Ahhhhh...a history buff.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Get off my lawn kid

On page 4 there is a review by a new owner:

(Post #49)

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=356242

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-12-2014, 06:20 PM

I bought the X-braced version from Music Emporium about two and a half weeks ago. I think it's a fabulous little guitar. I saw Bill Collings at a party last Saturday and told him how much I liked it, and I had the impression he'd already heard that numerous times.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 12-12-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Awesome!!! I'm with you!
Old 12-12-2014, 11:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies folks!

It was Bob DEVELLIS that said he had one in the way....enjoyed reading his initial impressions on another thread.

Thanks for the tip about visiting the Collings Forum...enjoyed reading comments from the several owners who have posted there.

Maybe Santa will bring me one....I deserve coal, but maybe Santa grades in a curve.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion