The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2014, 08:00 AM

Default advice for acoustic/electric for gigs

Hello the forum! I'm looking for your expert advice on a new guitar for playing out. I currently have two guitars (J45 custom and 00-18v) that, while they're not (price wise) SUPER high end, they're both pretty expensive for and sentimentally important to me, and I'm a little nervous about going out to play gigs with either one of them. I'm hoping to get some good leads from y'all towards an instrument, preferably with a good enough set of onboard electronics, that won't set me back more than $1500. I've been internet researching on my own, but as always, I know the forum's collective wisdom will inform me all the more before I head out to start A-Bing. Where do you guys think I should start?
Old 12-12-2014, 08:02 AM

PS- maybe I should note that I'm a singer/songwriter and I'll be playing mostly on my own, if that influences the direction of your advice. Thanks!!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:07 AM

I have a couple of Takamines I use for most gigs and I don't think you can beat them for sound and durability. They make a NEX model that is a little bigger than an OM but smaller than a dreadnaught. The Pro 5 series can be had for about $1,500 new. The preamp has a couple of notch filters, on board tuner and four sliders so you can really dial in the sound to fit the venue.

I have also used a Martin OMCPA1 and while it has a very sophisticated Fishman Aura system in it I find myself always going back to the Takamine. My bandmates, one of whom has owned a music store for 20+ years and can be as brand snobbish as the best of them, all think the Takamine sounds better plugged in.

Of course, there is a lot of subjectivity when it comes to "what sounds good." Best of luck in your search.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 12-12-2014, 08:20 AM

Look into whatever Breedlove line and model that meets your budget.
Also consider either the Alvarez Masterworks line.
The MD70ce or MD60ce one is Spruce over Rosewood, one is Spruce over Mahogany.
They both are equipped with the SYS650. It's a dual-source Pickup system.
And it is very easy to work with, and it sounds good.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 12-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

+1 on a lot of the Takamine's (I especially like the one I used to have the EF341SC NOT the cheaper version) The EF341SC lists for 1700 ish with an actual street price of about 1200+. Really nice guitar and great electronics.

I'm also a huge Taylor Fan and you can get a 314/316CE or 414/416 CE NEW for about 1500 & 2100 respectively. Overall even though I have a couple of higher end Taylors as in the signature below I have to say this with little to no bias. I've played the new 416 a few times now in the last month: (A couple of small changes to the finish being a bit more of a poly coat like their other guitars and less of a thin satin finish like the 3 series and below have still). This guitar has sky-rocketed to the top of my next gonna get list of anything 3k and or below. This sucker sounds like to me the best middle ground between Rosewood and say maple and Mahogany all rolled into one. It is technically a TYPE of rosewood (no to all the RW weenies out there I'm certainly not putting it into the debate or nuances of BRW and EIRW), but this with the minor changes to the finish etc, has to me be one of the biggest changes in what is often times not given as serious a look as the other Taylor changes (the re-voicing of the 800 / 600 series etc). So depending on your pocket book...and if there's any wiggle room at all, i would seriously play this one. GC (yes...I said it) is having some pretty phenominal deals for the holidays on items over certain amounts right now and of course I would contact Ted over @ LA Guitars (Forum member Sponsor and to quote my favorite 80's movie "Just one righteous dude"). Lots of guitars in that budget. The Eastman's also another really nice line where 1500 will get you lots of bang for the buck, but still a lot of things you won't get close to in those as a Tak or a Taylor IMHO. Played several, like em a lot, just a few things I didn't like. REally really suggest playing that 414 / 416, but make sure it's the new 400 series with the poly finish with the ES2.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Default If it were me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJHumble View Post
PS- maybe I should note that I'm a singer/songwriter and I'll be playing mostly on my own, if that influences the direction of your advice. Thanks!!
If you like the J-45, I'd get another (used) standard one, or the J-35. I hear a lot of songwriters in Nashville playing a standard Gibson with the low end LR Baggs element installed from the factory and to my ear they sound great. Plus they are simple. I've learned down thru the years that I may get a better sound spending more money and tweaking the sound but it seems now that simpler
is better for me! Also, if you're plugging in, a Tak is hard to beat. Especially if you get the one with the built in tuner...then it's all you have to take. My Bourgeois sounds great with my Baggs Anthem and my Martins sound great with the K&K's...but, both need some mid tone cut....good luck searching!!..
Old 12-12-2014, 08:32 AM

agree with the Breedloves or Taks. Both lines have great budget instruments.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:33 AM

The Gibson J-15 will get you very close to the J-45 sound and it is in your price range.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Get a good used Guild and put in a K&K Pure Mini pup.

In 2006 I bought a new Guild D-55. Here's a recent pic taken after hundreds of gigs:

Basically, not a ding on it. All of my guitars get played out.

If you're reasonably careful, there's no reason not to use either of the guitars in your current stash.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM

Simple:
One that is designed from the ground up to be an electro-acoustic, rather than one which has had the electronics added afterwards at the factory or by an owner.

Result = Taylor
Preferably with the ES2 system

Rod
Old 12-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Default advice for acoustic/electric for gigs

The Maton AP5 Pro system sounds amazing in even the least expensive guitars they make. I'm biased because I do work somewhere that sells them, but I also bought one for myself so I do really mean it
Old 12-12-2014, 07:00 PM

First, I always recommend people to the reef aquarium hobby, which is exceptionally beautiful. But that's irrelevant.

Here's the thing, see: I wouldn't ever gig with a $3K+ guitar again, just too risky. But up to $2K - yes, absolutely. Those are the guitars you want to use because the quality is usually top-notch without being too valuable to use.

Here's another thing to consider: some players, like myself, tend to get particularly attached to one or two guitars for live use and will reach for nothing else. In my case, I'd much rather become attached to one or two guitars in the $2K range than rely on a couple of $500 guitars.

And before all the owners of sub-$2K guitars send me hate mail, all's I can say is play your heart out on whatever you have. Your soul comes out just the same. I'm just saying there's a point where quality peaks at about $2K, and then the return diminishes higher than that - it just gets blingy.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:08 PM

Hi, the sensor on my Taylor GS 8 2006 model BLEW, when I say blew I mean it exploded blowing out the wire and the liquid stuff inside the sensor. My dealer sent away for a new sensor which cost's £45 "expensive eh" now I've been waiting over a week to get the sensor installed.

Can anyone from Taylor "or anyone who might know" PLEASE tell me why this happened "WHY DOES A SENSOR BLOW" nobody has ever heard of this before. Also can someone tell me how long it would take a Taylor guitar tech to replace a sensor.

PLEASE HELP I MISS MY BEAUTIFUL GUITAR--BAD

Cheers Mike!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:34 PM

I do not mean to be argumentative but I would never gig with anything less than my best. When I am hired to play I want to make that experience as good as possible for the audience... and myself. If I'm playing an instrument I enjoy it translates to a better performance and better experience for the listener. Just my thoughts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion