The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2014, 10:08 PM

Default Anyone Else from San Diego or Nearby?

How do you deal with humidity? Seems to be quite variable day to day in this area.

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 PM

What part of San Diego? There's a huge difference between the beach and the Eastern end of the city. There are numerous microclimates in the County. If I remeber correctly, in the Western Gardening book they break San Diego county into more than 10 microclimates.

I live in the eastern end of the city (zip 92119) and my humidity in the house stays pretty close to 40% most of the year. I do have central A/C that we run during hot spells.
Ome Wizard banjo
Deering Eagle II Openback banjo

Full Time RVer mainly in California & Arizona
Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 PM

I have homes in So Cal and the Midwest and you don' now what variable humidity is. In Chicago humidity can drop to 0 in the winter and go past 80% in the summer. I keep an electronic humidity gauge with me where ever I keep guitars so I know when it's safe to leave them out and when it's time to put them back in the case with an Oasis humidity unit. Do this and you wont have to worr.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:32 PM

Default Good Point

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in UTC currently, but will be moving to Point Loma in the near future. Guess it's time to start measuring my indoor humidity.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:57 PM

Scripps Ranch here.
Been keeping mine in their cases. Seems to mitigate against the swings from bone dry to drenching rains (bring em on!)
Old 12-11-2014, 11:13 PM

I have never had any issues or worries about humidity in San Diego, although it does swing low and high on occasion. Overall, it remains within safe limits.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone Else from San Diego or Nearby?

Yeah I remember San Diego quite varied on climate and topography. Downtown city very different from eastern or north county. I was in Santee a few times and I about froze at night. It was very arid there too.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:54 PM

San Diego is famous for it's micro climates. Being a desert near the coast, how close or how far away from the ocean you are has everything to do with both the temperature and the humidity. Every five miles you get away from the ocean makes a huge difference in both. I live in the city proper and don't suffer from swings of either temperature or humidity (unless the Santa Ana's come a-callin'). Where I am the temps are always between 60-80 degrees and the humidity is always between 55-65%.

Sure is nice!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 12-12-2014, 12:50 AM

Great input. Nice to know there are quite a few acoustic lovers nearby. Was thinking of taking the tour of the Taylor facility next week. Anyone been there? Not ready yet, but wouldn't mind a Taylor sitting between my Breedloves some day. Gotta sell my mint '77 Les Paul first.

Get ready for that storm comin through.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
San Diego is famous for it's micro climates. Being a desert near the coast, how close or how far away from the ocean you are has everything to do with both the temperature and the humidity. Every five miles you get away from the ocean makes a huge difference in both. I live in the city proper and don't suffer from swings of either temperature or humidity (unless the Santa Ana's come a-callin'). Where I am the temps are always between 60-80 degrees and the humidity is always between 55-65%.

Sure is nice!
Man, those Santa Ana winds suck the moisture out of everything! They can be a fun break from regular So Cal weather. But they do present a challenge to one' guitars.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Great input. Nice to know there are quite a few acoustic lovers nearby. Was thinking of taking the tour of the Taylor facility next week. Anyone been there? Not ready yet, but wouldn't mind a Taylor sitting between my Breedloves some day. Gotta sell my mint '77 Les Paul first.

Get ready for that storm comin through.
Go. It's very interesting and they have a showroom with all kinds of their guitars ready for you to try out. Highly recommended.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:55 PM

I lived in North County Coastal for 34 years. Moved to Puget Sound area this past July.

My problem was too much humidity during the summer time living less than a mile from the ocean.

The summer of 2013 was particularly bad... My Martin got a big belly!!

Puget Sound is presenting a whole new environment to deal with.

2015 Epi B.B. King Lucille
Life is Good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion