The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Default New Guy from Colorado Springs seeking advice

Hello all, been lurking around the acoustic forums for the last couple weeks and thought this would have a less bias than a taylor or martin forum. I’ve been away from playing for about 13 years. I played a little in high school on a pawn shop Johnson, with my church. Nothing beyond chord progression and enjoyed it. This was before youtube era blew up and had all the tutorials and lessons we have today. So I fumbled my way though guitar magazine and learned to play some tabs, never a whole song though just solos and main riffs. I’m to the point where I can afford to take some lessons and take it more serious so I’m in search of a decent guitar I can grow into (without going overboard). I’ve read buy the best guitar you can afford and I’ve also read it’s not the guitars fault. I believe both are true. I believe in buying quality items. I’ve been out of the game so long I’ve spent the last 2 weeks reading reviews, watching youtube demo’s trying to compare/ various models close to 1k budget. Looking at used guitars to get the most bang for my buck. I’ll do some strumming but I’d really like to learn to pick more. I think I have the concentration and aptitude to learn it better now at least I hope I do, or at least a quality guitar will encourage more practice.

I don’t want a full size dred, I’m 5’8 and like the midsized with a little bit lower profile leaning toward a midsized. The verdict is out on cutout or not. I know they cost more, I like the look and the idea of accessing the higher frets, but don’t have the skill set to use them just yet. I guess what I’m saying is I don’t want to limit myself.

I’ve found a 412ceLTD and a 414ceLTD for about 500 more than the budget I wanted to spend. The 412ce is rosewood and spruce and the 414ce is Taz Blackwood and spruce. Both are gorgeous guitars. I’m sure I could grow into these. I’ve also found a Martin OMCPA4 that I could get for a little under budget. I’m also considering a 314CE that I found at GC for about 300 more than I want to spend but when I get that close to the 414ce, I think what is another 200. May have to put up some of my fly fishing gear to get a more expensive guitar. Locally I’ve found a 110CE which I didn’t really want the size of but for half my budget it seems to be a good buy, it’s just not the solid wood quality I was looking for.

I’m sure it would be fine also. All would require some driving about an hour to go check out, but I don’t have the skill set to play them to their full potential. I like lower action I feel like it adds to playability. Maybe I’m wrong?

I’m also considering a 314CE that I found at GC for about 300 more than I want to spend but when I get that close to the 414ce, I think what is another 200. May have to put up some of my fly fishing gear to get a more expensive guitar. Locally I’ve found a 110CE which I didn’t really want the size of but for half my budget it seems to be a good buy, it’s just not the solid wood quality I was looking for.

So again hello all, thank you for reading my ramblings, I hope to get some feedback and contribute in the future.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:40 PM

Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum. I would say if you really want a guitar wait till you can get the one you want. Don't buy just to buy.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Jefe_83 View Post
…considering a 314CE that I found at GC for about 300 more than I want to spend but when I get that close to the 414ce, I think what is another 200. May have to put up some of my fly fishing gear to get a more expensive guitar. Locally I’ve found a 110CE which I didn’t really want the size of but for half my budget it seems to be a good buy, it’s just not the solid wood quality I was looking for.

So again hello all, thank you for reading my ramblings, I hope to get some feedback and contribute in the future.
Hi el_Jefe...

Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined and started a thread.

The Taylor 314CE is probably a good fit for your description. If the guitar is going to be a keeper, what is a few hundred more dollars?

As a player and teacher, playability and potential and good tone are worth it, and if it means saving for a bit longer, the time spent to sock away more money pays dividends down the line.

Good to have you aboard…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-11-2014, 12:58 PM

Thanks LJ. The 414 is 200 more than the 314 and has the Taz blackwood. Thoughts?

2009 Taylor 412ce-LTD-R
Old 12-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks LJ. The 414 is 200 more than the 314 and has the Taz blackwood. Thoughts?
Hi el_Jefe...

For me it's about tone, playability, responsiveness, resonance and sustain. I'd play both and get the one that I think does that best. Also projection and feedback to me as the player are important. If they were dead even on those accounts, then I might make other considerations.

The difference in series of Taylor guitars starting with the 300 series is the wood combination, not the build quality.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Hello all, been lurking around the acoustic forums for the last couple weeks and thought this would have a less bias than a taylor or martin forum.
Not less biased, just equal amounts coming from each direction

Both the 3xx and 4xx series from Taylor are great so I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with either.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi el_Jefe...

For me it's about tone, playability, responsiveness, resonance and sustain. I'd play both and get the one that I think does that best. Also projection and feedback to me as the player are important. If they were dead even on those accounts, then I might make other considerations.

The difference in series of Taylor guitars starting with the 300 series is the wood combination, not the build quality.

+1 on this.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. This place is an outstanding resource with helpful people.

The right guitar for you is the one you want to play more and the one that makes you smile most.

Unless you're an Aussie, in which case the Tassie Blackwood is the right guitar!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
The 412ce rosewood/spruce you mentioned is a more "standard" configured guitar in regards to the woods it uses. There's a TON of different things you can do with a 412ce in that configuration as far as playing style and tone. The 412 with a spruce top will respond to fingerpicking and hard strumming in equal measure. For your smaller frame (which was actually the measurements of a tall man just 200 years ago) lends itself well to a 412 gc type guitar.

With the CE option you can, if you like, get to those upper frets easier. Although I have two guitars without it and I don't have any problems getting to the 19th fret on the rare occasion that I need to. Still, it is easier.

If it's out of budget, save money for longer. Don't settle. You'll regret it. Better to wait.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:44 PM

Hello New Guy,

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find this is a great place to hang out and learn about all things acoustic. As for the 414ce Ltd I'm a big fan. I've got a Fall '11 which is Rosewood and Spruce and it lands right on the sweet spot I was looking for. It's well suited to both strumming and finger style with probably a slight edge toward finger style but that may also be due in part to my being something of a heavy strummer.

Good luck in your decision making.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
The 412ce is rosewood and spruce and the 414ce is Taz Blackwood and spruce. Both are gorgeous guitars.
Welcome!

First of all, don't buy "gorgeous" if you're just starting the quest for a decent guitar you'll be learning with, and becoming acquainted with the tone you like.

I'm not a huge fan of Taylor, though I love their well-known playability, and I've played 1 or 2 amazing customs.

The 314 is a fine guitar -- as good as a 500 series I've owned and 700 and 800 series I've played. I'd recommend buying one that sounds good to you.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:02 PM

Thanks for all of the advice so far.

I'm seeing a trend that no one is cosigning on the OMCPA4?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wbGXsCwIE this is a solid review of the OMCPA4. Sounds pretty nice and its about 200 under budget...
Old 12-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Welcome to the AGF!

When I teach and help others buy instruments (both guitars and ukuleles) I urge them to buy cheaper during the learning phases and then target the more expensive guitar when you've locked into a specific style. It's inevitable that you will gravitate towards a certain genre of music, consequently a certain style of playing (i.e. strumming, fingerpicking, etc.). These different styles will do better with different guitars, but most importantly, will sound better to your ear.

Unless you have a money tree in your back yard, and $1K is just a toss of weekend change for you, I'd urge you target half of that budget for a solid top guitar that has a laminate back/sides. There are great guitars out there with the same playability as a Taylor that you can find.

I've seen it happen quite often, folks spend a significant amount on a guitar, only to realize they don't like the size/tone/etc. but didn't have enough knowledge of their preference that early on. If possible, look towards guitars like the Voyage Air VAOM-04, Taylor 114ce, Yamaha FS700/FG700, or Recording King RO-06 (about $300 on Amazon). Then, when you understand your preference more, you'll know exactly whether to get that 314ce, 512ce or the Martin OM-15M.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Get off my lawn kid

You can get an all solid wood Yamaha LS series for under $1,000 - like $200 to $300 under. But to caution you, you don't play finger style now, so you know nothing about nut width and string spacing considerations. Its not just about the woods or the brand. So I would go out cheaper and maybe go $500 like Joeguam pointed out because you really don't know what you will want/need, as far as playing style goes, a year from now. A solid top guitar is a must, but laminate back and sides is ok.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-11-2014, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning toward the Martin based on price point and I do like the sound. I do like the 314 Sound too but I don't want to over extend this early in the game. I'm leaning toward the OMCPA4 tomorrow for 800. With OHSC as long as it checks out. I figure at that price point I wont mind keeping it and if I decide to sell it I wont be out much money. My thinking is not to goo too cheap and not be able to get out of it later and want the action an playability to be better. My old Laminate Johnson pawn shop guitar was pretty stiff.

Last edited by el_Jefe_83; 12-11-2014 at 09:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion