The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
just to let you know, I played a Santa Cruz Tony Rice model a few months a go , one of the best Guitars I have ever played.
just my opinion.
Dave
I second this opinion. I had the opportunity to spend some quality time a few years ago with a TR model and it was outstanding. Loud, articulate, and very well balanced. A guitar to be reckoned with for sure...
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 AM

Based on your description of what you play, plus the fact that you already own a mahogany dred, I'd go for the SCTR. If you do end up with buyers remorse, you can turn it into a new D18 a lot easier that you could trade the 18 for a TR.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

...if all things seem equal go for the cool fretboard logo....plus you already have a mahogany dread....

Old 12-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies- very helpful info that helped tip me over to the used Tony Rice. Sale pending, details to come!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:08 PM

@fingerstile: Congrats on going with the Tony Rice. I have a Tony Rice and a few Martins (though not a D-18) and I would say they sound pretty different. I would describe the TR as more balanced with a more tamed bass than a Martin. I love the Martin sound, and really love how Richard voices his guitars. The fit, finish, and quality of a SCGC guitar can't be beat. I think you will enjoy one of his guitars very much :-)
Bourgeois: The Banjo Killer–Slope D (Custom); Collings: CJ Mh A SS SB (Custom); Froggy Bottom: F-14 Deluxe (Custom), SJ Deluxe; Gibson: Jackson Browne Signature Model 1 Ltd.; Huss & Dalton CM-12 Non-Cutaway (Custom); Jason Kostal: MD (Custom); Kevin Kopp: K-50; Martin: 000-42 Guatemalan (Custom), D-45; Santa Cruz: D-12 Fret (Custom), Tony Rice Signature (Custom)
Old 12-12-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
If they are in the same price range, Santa Cruz would be an easy choice.
^^^wut he sed^^^
Old 12-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
If they are in the same price range, Santa Cruz would be an easy choice.
Gotta agree, and I am a huge Martin homer. But a used Tony Rice versus a D-18 about the same price, I'd go SCGC.

Now talk about GE's or Authentics, it would be different..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-12-2014, 04:41 PM

Congratulation. No contest really. Tony Rice wins by a mile. I have played both and Tony Rice tone still haunts me to this day. Much, much more complex tone and better build quality. Notes just sings. It is very musical, where as D18 is more cut though, mid heavy, woodier, dryer, fundamental guitar which on its own right is better if that is what you need. I personally like both and depends what the occasion calls for it.
If I just did not buy hot-rodded HD28, I would've bought that 2004 Tony Rice in classifieds on the spot (not sure if that is the one you went with).
Old 12-12-2014, 09:38 PM

The 2004 in the classifieds is the one I went with! Kudos to the seller, Fat Otis- great guy to talk to, and I can't wait to get my hands on this beauty. I'll try to post some pics and send along my thoughts after I've spent some time with it.

I really do love the D-18, but I'm pretty sure I made the right choice, given the balance of opinions I've gotten on this thread. Great work as usual, AGF crew!
Old 12-12-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheof View Post
New D-18. Get a used TR later.
I'd like to change/update my response. I love Tony Rice's sound and style, and I love the sound and the look of his guitar with the large sound hole and whatever. It's a really tough decision. I have a new D-18 (2014, October?) and I think it's phenomenal of course, and at this point the only guitar I'd compare it to would be an actual TR.

Hmm. I don't know what I'd do, given the choice. I suppose buying before playing would be a deal breaker for me. I always ask: if the guitar is so awesome, then why'd the original owner get rid of it? There could be any one of a myriad of things wrong with it, and yet it could be perfect. You'll have to go over every square inch: tuners, nut, frets, saddle height, bridge angle, truss rod, the guitar's sexual preference (so you don't accidentically name it Bill if it's really a Jill).

Best I can offer is good luck and defer you to the other peeps here who clearly know more than I.

Last edited by Pheof; 12-12-2014 at 10:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion