The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Default New D-18 vs. used SCGC Tony Rice

I've played the new Martin D-18 and love it. I've also got my eye on a used Santa Cruz Tony Rice, but I've never played one and can't play the one I'm considering (not an easy guitar to find where I live).

Would anyone who has played both of these guitars be willing to share your thoughts? I'd be playing primarily bluegrass/appalachian-style stuff on whichever I choose.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 PM

If they are in the same price range, Santa Cruz would be an easy choice.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 PM

Very different models. I don't think its an easy choice. Funny enough I compared these guitars last weekend. They both sound equally great. I PREFFERED the d18 but I love mahogany so..

Hard to compare these two guitars though, very different
Old 12-10-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerstile View Post
I've played the new Martin D-18 and love it. I've also got my eye on a used Santa Cruz Tony Rice, but I've never played one and can't play the one I'm considering (not an easy guitar to find where I live).

Would anyone who has played both of these guitars be willing to share your thoughts? I'd be playing primarily bluegrass/appalachian-style stuff on whichever I choose.

Thanks for the help.
Forgive the obvious question: do you prefer rosewood or mahogany? Each is excellent for what they are.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Ha! Leave it to me to forget to mention the wood difference!

I really do like both woods, and it's probably worth mentioning that I already have a mahogany dread.

The style I play on my dread is heavy on crosspicking through chords, with less emphasis on single-note runs. I'm thinking rosewood would offer a nice color to that kind of playing, but man I'm just not sure.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

My thought is that it sounds like you'd like the Tony Rice. The D-18 excels at just the sort of thing you have less emphasis on. If you want to have 2 mahogany dreads go for the D-18, but if you want to expand the palette, go the other way.

The new D-18s are not hard to get hold of, and I suspect that the used market will be plentiful over time -- not because they're not great, because they are -- just because a lot of people are buying them and their GAS will cause them to sell them as the value should hold up well.
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 12-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

SCGC Tony Rice = 1 11/16" nut

Martin (2012) D-18 = 1 3/4" nut

Just a heads up...no more...no less.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

The only D-18 I might chose over a Tony Rice SC would maybe be an Authentic or a real vintage one from the 30s or early 40s. Tony Rice Santa Cruz guitars are quite awesome!! I've owned two of them.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 12-10-2014, 09:20 PM

just curious, what makes the SCGC tony rice so special? It's Sitka over EIR with scalloped bracing. Is it much different compared to the HD-28?

Martin om28v
Taylor 114e
Carvin CT6m
Old 12-10-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakotaco View Post
just curious, what makes the SCGC tony rice so special? It's Sitka over EIR with scalloped bracing. Is it much different compared to the HD-28?
The builder is far more important than the material. I could build a d28 exactly to the same spec martin does. Let's just say it wouldn't sound like a martin
Old 12-10-2014, 09:26 PM

New D-18. Get a used TR later.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
The only D-18 I might chose over a Tony Rice SC would maybe be an Authentic or a real vintage one from the 30s or early 40s. Tony Rice Santa Cruz guitars are quite awesome!! I've owned two of them.
I agree with SuperB23, and I usually prefer mahogany over EIR. Since the TR is used, if you decide it's not for you and flip it you'll not lose any money. If you buy the new D18 and decide to sell it, it'll cost you. Also, there are not a lot of used TR's out there, but you can swing a dead banjo and hit a used D18 on most any guitar forum out here.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:02 PM

I have played a couple used TR's, and the D-18. The SCGC's are wonderful, but the TR was built to record well, balanced. I chose the D-18 as it made a bigger impact played live. And, yes they are apples and oranges because of the woods. Now, the SCGC Vintage Artist, a hog/spruce, like the D-18; that haunts me still after playing one. I do wish the D-18 still had the 1 11/16 neck though.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:07 PM

I think Santa Cruz has a much more consistent build quality than Martin because of the way they tune all the tops, etc. Richard Hoover admits that factories occasionally make great guitars, but spending the extra time and effort on them yields more consistently excellent results.

The tony rice is also an atypical dreadnought because the bracing is carved to give a more even EQ than a typical boomy, bassy sound. Still a dread sound, but more sophisticated.

Disclaimer: I'm highly biased, as I own two SCGC guitars, narrowly missed out on a third recently that I would have liked to buy or trade for.

I also have a used Tony Rice in the classifieds if you're interested.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 PM

just to let you know, I played a Santa Cruz Tony Rice model a few months a go , one of the best Guitars I have ever played.
just my opinion.
Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion