The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2014, 04:44 PM

On your recommendation, I've tried them. Always had issues with others, Alaska and Fred Kelley's Freedom picks and the old standby Dunlops. Problem has been fitting the picks. I've medium size hands and fingers, but the knuckles are swollen and out of line due to some arthritis. The Butterflys were able to be molded to fit pretty well. I got the coated ones, and play with a Fred Kelly Bumblebee Jazz thumb pick. After an hour or so, I find that I can work this combo almost as well as I can bare tips. (not that I'm any kind of virtuoso, but they don't seem to be getting in the way of how I play.) I wear the Butterflys on my first and second finger, may give a try to the third once I get more used to playing with the picks.

Just noticed ... Butterflies on the fingers and a Bumblebee on the thumb ... feels kinda garden-y, don't you think?
Old 12-07-2014, 05:49 PM

In the spirit of NOT hijacking the thread with my Khama swap, I like reading about players working, adapting to get the (Fingerpicks) tools that work for our ears and (in some cases) aging fingers. So much is about adapting the finger picking style or attack to obtain that satisfying and appropriate sound for the piece we are playing. I often will employ two different finger picks and a thumb pick from a diff maker. I have fun trying stuff. Butterfly picks def fall into the worth trying column.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 12-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Ordered a set (3 finger, 1 thumb . . gold, plastic coated). Definitely worth a try. Same price as one of them fancy BluChip picks, for reference.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:19 PM

I just received a set. Took a bit to get them to fit and I found that I had to angle the loops (at the finger tips at the nail) toward my thumb to get a perpendicular strike. Without doing so, I get a "zing" as the pick rubs across the string at an angle. In other words, my finger tips aren't perpendicular to the strings and changing the angle compensates for this.

I also found the regular size to be a bit small and I don't have large hands by any means. I also had to bend the picks such that their overall length (from finger tip to knuckle) is shortened as the loop at the bend of the knuckle was preventing me from bending my fingers effectively. All 'normal' adjustments I would suppose and I was able to get them functioning with little difficulty.

At first, they felt really weird and I couldn't find my strings. But within 45 minutes, things began to fall into line. I don't think it would take a dedicated finger picker very long to adjust.

That said, it became quickly apparent that much of what I play has strumming elements mixed in with finger picking and these picks prevent any sort of strumming.

I'll probably keep them for experimental purposes but probably won't use them much. Interesting product.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 AM

Got my set over the weekend and I like their noise factor (as compared with pro-piks). Like most of the alternative picks, a short wrap of surgical tape does wonders to stabilize them. It will be a few more days before I can flesh out my opinion.

Rick
Old 12-08-2014, 06:26 AM

In the process of forming my opinion as well. Definitely a very interesting pick, not anywhere near as metallic or plastic sounding as other fingerpicks. Definitely a learning curve to figure out the angle of attack, and in the end I'm not sure they will give me the type of overall feel and tonal control that I get without them. Will keep at it for a while to see if I get the hang of the Butterflies (not using the thumbpick....that one ain't gonna work for me).

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 PM

okay! Using an internet random number generator (#'s associated with takers) Cotten will be the recipient of the Butterfly Finger picks. I'll contact you via PM for details.
Mainland Tenor Uke

Last edited by mstuartev; 12-09-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Guest4562

I'll try them as well. Been using metal finger picks for almost 50 years, but I'm a devil-may-care kinda guy!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:36 PM

I got mine today. I finally realize that I am not normal size. Pretty painful. Ended up bending the loops pretty bad trying to find a way to stop them ends from digging into my fingers but frustration won the day. Never plucked a string They are back in their little jewel case and in the drawer of "never to be seem again".

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 12-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I got mine today. I finally realize that I am not normal size. Pretty painful. Ended up bending the loops pretty bad trying to find a way to stop them ends from digging into my fingers but frustration won the day. Never plucked a string They are back in their little jewel case and in the drawer of "never to be seem again".
They do seem to run a bit small as I think I have normal-sized fingers, but the normal finger picks were small for me as well.

Their suggested method of using the empty end of an ink tube from a ballpoint pen worked fine for adjustment, however, and they fit quite well afterward.

If one is accustomed to fingerpicking, then I think the period of time needed to accommodate these is quite short – almost immediate.

I think someone mentioned issues with the thumb pick. I would tend to agree. It’s fine, but because of the angle of attack with the thumb, the experience is not the same as with the other fingers.

(Then, again, I didn’t play that long with the thumb pick.)

I’m storing mine in separate compartments of a sawed-off Monday to Sunday vitamin/pill holder (again, as suggested).

I think they work as advertised, and I may use them occasionally, but I think most of us who have fingerpicked with the flesh of our fingers for many years become accustomed to the tactile connection with the instrument (preserved, somewhat, with these – but not totally).

It’s actually one reason, I think, why I don’t like fret wire of a heavy gauge.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Gonna give these a try. I haven't found a fingerpick that works for me yet. Maybe these are the ones!
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Got mine today. Spent about 1/2 hour shaping them to my fingertips. Even when they fit well, they slide around a lot on my fingertips. The thumb pick doesn't work for me at all, scrapes sideways along the wound strings and makes a lot a string noise. The other ones work OK I guess, but I don't like them nearly as much as the Fred Kelly fingerpicks, or even the old-fashioned Dunlop or National metal banjo picks.

They're basically a bunch of bent-up paperclips in a plastic jar. Not for me I'm afraid.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 12-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
They're basically a bunch of bent-up paperclips in a plastic jar. Not for me I'm afraid.
I'm still laughing after 10 minutes! Great one, Aaron!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Ordered a set (3 finger, 1 thumb . . gold, plastic coated). Definitely worth a try. Same price as one of them fancy BluChip picks, for reference.
I might not know which picks you're comparing, but the Blue Chip finger picks were $17 and change per pick, and the flat picks were around $35. The Butterfly set of four (three finger and thumb) was $16 plus $3 shipping and tax if you're a Californian. If I'm missing something, smack me...

I should have known the reviews would run the entire gamut from No Way to Best Since Sliced Bread...which is only to be expected from people who care as much about playing as AGF people do.
I'm just getting into some finger picking and kind of have the feeling that my inherent laziness is leading me into wanting to buy a product to make it easier; but I think it won't come easily to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIntermediate View Post
As a courtesy to the forum, I've sacrificed some time and effort today playing guitar and drinking beer in an attempt to verify this outrageous claim. I'll be danged, he was right:

I especially appreciate the dedication and willingness to take one for the team here! Well done, sir.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post
okay! Using an internet random number generator (#'s associated with takers) Cotten will be the recipient of the Butterfly Finger picks. I'll contact you via PM for details.
This is exciting! I've never felt comfortable in using other kinds of finger picks, but I like the looks of the Butterfly design, which allows for both tactile feel and a "pick" on each finger. (Okay, except for my pinkie - never have mastered using it on my picking hand.) I sure hope I can adjust to them, as I prefer using my fingers to a flat pick, and I don't always have amplification handy.

Thanks for picking my number, msturartev!

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion