The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2014, 11:09 PM

Default Butterfly Finger Picks, Review

I hope fellow forum member soao sees this post. In a recent thread about trying to use finger picks after years of playing with the flesh of your fingers (see thread here - http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=365666 ) he recommended these picks:

http://www.butterflyfingerpicks.com/index.php

I flatpick pretty regularly but probably play fingerstyle 60-70% of the time. Been playing both styles since I was 13 or 14 years old (I'm now 34) and have tried every type of fingerpick I could find over the years in an effort to add a little volume and clarity when the situation calls for it.

Finally found the ones! It's like I've died and gone to heaven. Took about an hour of playing with and shaping them to fit properly under my fingernails, but they just felt right from the get go. It's like a NGD all over again for every guitar I own. Such a wonderful feeling being able to coax new tones from these guitars.

The melody lines on the treble strings cut so much more now and sound prominent as they should. I'll never quit playing with just my fingers completely because there is something to be said for that but I'm really excited to able to have another tool in the old toolbox. Highly recommend these for anyone trying to transition from flesh to finger picks.

Last edited by TheIntermediate; 11-30-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:28 AM

Thanks for posting that! I'm going to try them!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:06 AM

I am a big fan of Alaska picks but I like trying something new. Thanks for posting, my order is in.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 11-30-2014, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the post. I'm going to give them a try. Hopefully I have the same experience as you. If not, I'm still ok with flesh but at least I'll be able to say I tried.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:50 AM

All these accolades and we haven't even mentioned the cool plastic jar they come in. I just got back from my Thanksgiving with family. Our family tradition includes a "talent" show after turkey. I did a finger pick / slide version of "Buckets of Rain". There is no way I could have projected this song out to the 65 people unplugged with out finger picks. Like a lot of folks mentioned in the previous thread, other picks for one reason or the other just don't work for me. The traditional thumb pick just disconnects me from the strings and thus music. Have you ever been in a song circle with superior players? I used to panic when my turn came up because these players were so good. Problem solved; put on the butterflies and dig into something easy like "Freight Train" and all the players will gladly chime right in. I also mentioned in the other thread that you can pop a Brewster with them still on!!

Last edited by soao; 11-30-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:11 PM

Default Different colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIntermediate View Post
Finally found the ones! It's like I've died and gone to heaven. Took about an hour of playing with and shaping them to fit properly under my fingernails, but they just felt right from the get go.
Their site mentions trying a different color (gold, copper, silver) for different fingers to keep them straight.

Does that seem helpful?
Old 11-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Thanks for posting. I'll try them (just put in the order for a set of golds, including thumbpick). Alaska picks did not work well for me at all.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 11-30-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
Their site mentions trying a different color (gold, copper, silver) for different fingers to keep them straight.

Does that seem helpful?
It does. I read that as well but not until after I ordered. It's not really too hard to tell them apart as I just look at the size of the pick's ring (thumb, middle, index, ring finger - in that order largest to smallest). But in retrospect, different colors would be nice.

Like any finger pick, it's important to take your time with these and really fit them properly to each finger. The right fit makes all the difference in the world.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:57 PM

I'll bet the owners of Butterfly Picks are trying to figure out why they have this surge in late November sales! (thanks to AGF)
Old 11-30-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I'll bet the owners of Butterfly Picks are trying to figure out why they have this surge in late November sales! (thanks to AGF)
I wondered the same thing, srick! Pleasant surprise for them I'm sure. And I'm not even getting paid anything! But actually, credit to soao for bringing these to my attention.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:00 PM

Ordered a set too. Thumbpick included.
I have been playing all flesh a long time. Tried to get comfortable with fingerpicks, somewhat successful but still much prefer tactile feel of finger pads.
With thumbpick it was a more natural transition, although I still prefer using flesh only.
Would like to get ahold of Pro Pick fingerpicks to sample, but so far I have not done it.
Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soao View Post
I also mentioned in the other thread that you can pop a Brewster with them still on!!
As a courtesy to the forum, I've sacrificed some time and effort today playing guitar and drinking beer in an attempt to verify this outrageous claim. I'll be danged, he was right:

Last edited by TheIntermediate; 11-30-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 PM

Default I just ordered a set

I have been playing finger style for 6 years and never could play wih FPS.I cant grow nails as im a mechanic .HOPE they work!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Sizing info

So, how were these on size? I didn't think my hands were all THAT large, but if "All measurements refer to the width across the knuckle at the fingertip or thumbtip", then even my pinkie is 20mm or more. This would tend to indicate I might need Thumb picks for ALL fingers, which seems an extreme idea.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 AM

I have a feeling they wouldn't work for me. The radius of the wire suggests to me that the tone produced would be too 'rounded' for my tastes-and for the same reason why I prefer thinner, stiffer, picks (0.96 celluloid equilateral triangles) to the fat stuff. My search for the 'perfect' fingerpick continues...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion