The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 PM

Default James Blackshaw

Any James Blackshaw fans on here? recently started listening to him and love the way he uses drones in his pieces and how hauntingly beautiful the whole piece is. His guitar truly speaks for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0OqukhkgI0

here is him live btw if your interested in what im talking about
Old 01-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I really like him....obviously heavily influenced by Robbie Basho.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Last edited by sevenpalms; 01-16-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
I really like him....
I was read and article on the web called the 10 best guitar players you've never heard of err something like that anyway but im glad i stumbled upon him as he has greatly influenced my playing style and has turned me on to the 12 string.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:03 AM

One of the most technically superb guitarists around. Is very well respected amongst non guitarists circles more so than the guitarists circle oddly enough.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

Sheesh - those finger nails ! I guess we all tried that when we were kids - but they don't help tone and are notoriously difficult to retain. Probably false ?
I guess he doesn't do much brick-laying.

All very '60s - I guess he has a few John Fahey albums.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:57 AM

James is one of my favorites in the new generation of "American Primitive" guitarists...even though he's not American.

You might also like:
- William Tyler
- Daniel Bachman
- Darrin Kobetich

And in vein of this style of quasi continuous music...check out Colin Stetson. He plays the saxophone.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM

Longest intro I ever heard.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Longest intro I ever heard.

That's nothing. He has pieces over 20 minutes long.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
James is one of my favorites in the new generation of "American Primitive" guitarists...even though he's not American.

You might also like:
- William Tyler
- Daniel Bachman
- Darrin Kobetich

And in vein of this style of quasi continuous music...check out Colin Stetson. He plays the saxophone.
I call the new wave of guitarists in suck a ilk 'New Primitive', not very original I know....

Other guitarists of a similar sort I like are
- Glenn Jones
- Sir Richard Bishop
- Steffen Basho-Junghans
- Jack Rose
- Shawn David McMillen

My favourite of the solo guitar players in the middle/modern wave is Rod Poole. Sadly no one seems to know of him; none of his music is online or in print.

Not acoustic but IMO one of the few other guitarists I listen to who makes me think of Fahey et al is Loren Mazzacane Conners.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
I call the new wave of guitarists in suck a ilk 'New Primitive', not very original I know....

Other guitarists of a similar sort I like are
- Glenn Jones
- Sir Richard Bishop
- Steffen Basho-Junghans
- Jack Rose
- Shawn David McMillen

My favourite of the solo guitar players in the middle/modern wave is Rod Poole. Sadly no one seems to know of him; none of his music is online or in print.

Not acoustic but IMO one of the few other guitarists I listen to who makes me think of Fahey et al is Loren Mazzacane Conners.
I like "New Primitive".

Rod Poole...such an amazing, AMAZING artist!

A lot of his stuff is available for download from iTunes or Amazon or whatever. He's also on Spotify (they have everything, it seems).

I actually wouldn't lump Rod with those other guys. Although, there's a lot of overlap.

You're actually the only other person that I "know" that's familiar with Rod's work...and a fan! I have everything of his. He's a genius. Seriously.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM

Rod Poole on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/rod-poole/id90170963
Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
I like "New Primitive".

Rod Poole...such an amazing, AMAZING artist!

A lot of his stuff is available for download from iTunes or Amazon or whatever. He's also on Spotify (they have everything, it seems).

I actually wouldn't lump Rod with those other guys. Although, there's a lot of overlap.

You're actually the only other person that I "know" that's familiar with Rod's work...and a fan! I have everything of his. He's a genius. Seriously.
Aside from my mate who recommended me Rod Poole, you are the other only person I've come across who's heard of Rod Poole (I personally think he's up there with the very best who's hands have touched the guitar)

IMO Rod Poole and John Fahey would have drunk a couple bottles of Scotch together if they'd known each other (in my dream world anyway). Fahey gave Richard Bishop his title so I think there might be more overlap than some consider (on the presumption that Fahey sets the rules in this game; seeing your avatar I doubt you will disagree! Fahey's rules to the game - **** it there are no rules, play the guitar, be yourself, find the voice of the turtle, have a drink, etc).

(For those that don't know, John Fahey saw Richard Bishop play guitar and said 'you're too a good guitarist be called 'Richard Bishop' you need to have a title and was then knighted 'Sir Richard Bishop', a name which has stuck...)

Didn't know Rod Poole is on iTunes. Thanks for that. Saw a EP which I don't have, I'll get it.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:05 PM

somthin not right with that sunburst
Old 01-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
somthin not right with that sunburst
Some top runout.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Aside from my mate who recommended me Rod Poole, you are the other only person I've come across who's heard of Rod Poole (I personally think he's up there with the very best who's hands have touched the guitar)

IMO Rod Poole and John Fahey would have drunk a couple bottles of Scotch together if they'd known each other (in my dream world anyway). Fahey gave Richard Bishop his title so I think there might be more overlap than some consider (on the presumption that Fahey sets the rules in this game; seeing your avatar I doubt you will disagree! Fahey's rules to the game - **** it there are no rules, play the guitar, be yourself, find the voice of the turtle, have a drink, etc).

(For those that don't know, John Fahey saw Richard Bishop play guitar and said 'you're too a good guitarist be called 'Richard Bishop' you need to have a title and was then knighted 'Sir Richard Bishop', a name which has stuck...)

Didn't know Rod Poole is on iTunes. Thanks for that. Saw a EP which I don't have, I'll get it.
You could say I'm a Fahey fan...

I'd be interested to see how folks around here would feel about Rod Poole. Based on some, shall we say challenging, music that was recently posted.

I think he'd be polarizing...with most lambasting him and calling his brilliance "junk" or some other negative term. C'est la vie.

It's terrible his life was tragically cut short. I'd love to have been able to experience more of his music. I can't imagine what it would be like to see him love...playing a 45 minute piece. One can dream...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion