The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM

Default Easiest Humidifier

I just use these:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...188636-product

I unfold the pad slightly from the plastic wrap, dampen with water (these are super absorbent so they hold quite a bit of water), squeeze out excess if any, close up the plastic wrap and stick it in the case. I get 45% humidity right on the dot.

I use a radio frequency thermometer/hygrometer in the case like the ones from
http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weathe.../dp/B00FX8ZGOO
Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

I use both a soundhole devices (Planet Waves and Damp-It) that slip between the strings, as well as a shallow plastic container (cream cheese? Guacamole?) with a chunk of sponge in it up in the headstock area. Never had any issues, and truthfully, don't have to use the soundhole one very often on the West Coast...

NO... if you put the dish in your string pocket inside the case, it won't do much if anything for the humidity of the guitar neck and headstock... however, that string compartment will be nice and moist!

Just use common sense and you'll be fine... a great rule of thumb to follow is: If YOU are uncomfortable with the weather/humidity, then your GUITAR is probably uncomfortable, too... and, as Larry said, "close" is plenty good enough; good enough for his Olsen, good enough for my custom Goodall...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 PM

I've got two with Kyser Soundhole thingies.
I check them a couple times a week.
My GS mini, has a straight-walled prescription bottle with holes in the top and bottom.
It is the prefect size for a folded sponge.
I keep the sponge damp.

I have a fairly old All laminate Alvarez that I've never done anything to, except kept it cased.
It has also had the least amount of adjustments and so forth.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 AM

I use a PW soundhole device PLUS a soapdish in the headstock area, but when I'm heading out to a gig or open mic, I remove them and leave them both at home. No real danger of the humidity difference for a few hours, and dont' have to worry about losing them or having htem fall out of hte case.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-08-2014, 11:45 AM

Just a warning to the baggie users.

I tried this method for my Martin 000-28. I placed the baggie under the headstock. The headstock came in contact with the baggie and the moisture clouded the finish on the back of the headstock. Be careful where you place it when you have nitro finishes.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd View Post

I tried this method for my Martin 000-28. I placed the baggie under the headstock. The headstock came in contact with the baggie and the moisture clouded the finish on the back of the headstock. Be careful where you place it when you have nitro finishes.
Hi jimd...

That is a warning with ANY humidifier. If you over fill a humidifier, and don't dry it adequately it can damage finish if it comes into contact with it.

I had a friend who ruined the heal of his Taylor that way with a soap dish model he'd made. He was wedging the soap dish in with a little pressure to hold it in place, but that compressed the sponges which he had not wrung out adequately and it leaked into the heel of the guitar neck finish.

It's not just Ziplock/sponge humidifiers which are the issue. It's not being sensible with the use of any humidifier which is sponge housed in rubber/plastic.

I've seen Planet Waves, and Dampit humidifiers put in too wet which then leak onto the back of the guitar when hung from the strings.

As a guitar teacher, I've tried to educate students on proper care of their instruments, and some still fail to take the extra 20-30 seconds to finish up wringing out sponges, or drying off the cases/outer surfaces of the humidifiers.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-08-2014, 04:40 PM

The plastic bag idea is appealing but I'm not real comfortable with cutting slits and having that bouncing around in my guitar case could be kept in a soft cloth bag I suppose but just wasn't settling well in my head.

Then I remembered that there are micro perforated plastic bags on the market that would likely not require cutting slits in to achieve the same effect.

Has anyone used those for a homemade case humidifier?

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 12-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
The plastic bag idea is appealing but I'm not real comfortable with cutting slits and having that bouncing around in my guitar case could be kept in a soft cloth bag I suppose but just wasn't settling well in my head.

Then I remembered that there are micro perforated plastic bags on the market that would likely not require cutting slits in to achieve the same effect.

Has anyone used those for a homemade case humidifier?
Hi Kip...

I've been making and using Ziplock/Sponge humidifiers in my case for over a decade now, and they don't bounce around. Once put under the head stock they stay put. Soap dishes - those bounce/roll around.

To cut the slits in the bag, I roll it up from the bottom in about then cut or nick the bottom of the rolled up piece and it puts about 20 little cuts in the bag. I made a video of it.

Build your own case humidifier for a buck or less - CliCk

The point is to wring out the sponges well before inserting them into the bag, and then drying off the bag. They should not be exuding any moisture.

I've never even seen micro perforated bags.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-08-2014, 05:26 PM

I'm surprised no one has referenced fazool's thread using the water beads:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=288060

Apologies if it already has been referenced and I missed it.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:

That's why I like to use a hard case like a soap case. I've had concerns about the whitening of the finish, and do check for that each time I check for dry sponge.
Dan
Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 PM

Default homemade

yes, sponges in Zip-lock bags(dollar store) with slits cut into them or soap travel dishes from walgreens. They work very well!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I use the water beads, a sponge/Baggie and a herco clay humidifier. Got a calibre iv, stuck it in the case where the neck joint is over the fuzz. Works great. I get 47-51%. Admittedly here in coastal California its a bit of a doddle.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 12-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I'm surprised no one has referenced fazool's thread using the water beads:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=288060

Apologies if it already has been referenced and I missed it.
I use moisture beads (water beads) in my soap dish versions. I also put a piece of paper towel between the beads and the holes so as to wick any water away. Want to humidify not drown it.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard

Last edited by Kip Carter; 12-09-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:15 PM

The daddario kit works well once the paper silica packs dry out a sponge fits perfect in the pouches. One under the headstock one draped over the strings. I just wrong the sponge out and slip them in the pouch, no plastic bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the warning Jim. I'm new to humidifying and I have a Taylor gigbag (soft) . I decided to go the soap dish / plastic container route precisely because I was worried that a soft plastic bag can easily be pressed against the guitar's wood, making contact between sponge and wood more likely than with a harder plastic container. I'd prefer no contact with the hard plastic container either, but what to do?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion