The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 PM

Default Homemade humidifier - Will it work?

Just fabricated a homemade guitar humidifer using a toothbrush case. I'm just wondering if it will work, and how much moist sponge is needed. Anyone else using a homemade humidifying device/contraption?

You can go to Youtube and see what it looks like at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KpTNn34N48
Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherdog View Post
...Anyone else using a homemade humidifying device/contraption?
Hi P-dog...
Using $3 worth of home made humidifiers in over $25,000 worth of guitars.

Sponge in a container work well.

I prefer sponges in Ziplock bags with slits cut into them to toothbrush cases or soap carrying dishes (ziplocks don't bounce around cases underneath the headstock of the guitar).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-28-2011, 07:23 PM

I use a soap dish with floral foam. It's placed in the accessory compartment of the guitar case. No worries about the dish moving around in there.
I have monitored the humidity with a hygrometer and it keeps the humidity at 45%.
I worry more about a reaction from the baggie to the guitar finish, than I do a hard plastic dish moving around.

I think both methods will work just fine though.
The toothbrush cover is too long to store inside the compartment and it won't hold a lot of water. That means that you will be filling it more often.
It will work though.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 PM

I've used the soap dish and sponge idea for some time now. It seems to work well, but my problem is finding a reliable hygrometer to make sure the humidity is correct. I've done the salt test and have followed many other ideas from AGF members, but I still don't trust hygrometer accuracy.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 PM

I use the soap dish as well. When I made mine up I made two of them thinking that I might need to add a second one in the case come January when the humidity drops to its lowest point. And with a soap dish there is enough room for two household sponges; double thickness stays moist longer. So far humidity in the case is staying in the 46 - 49% range. I just remember to remove it from the case when transporting the guitar so it won't have a chance at scratching the guitar.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM

I saw this on YouTube awhile back and decided to give it a try. It's just a ziplock bag and a couple sponges. Nice and simple and it works like a champ. Keeps my guitars right at 50% (+\- 5% meter error).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5P0_...e_gdata_player
Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachrguy View Post
I've used the soap dish and sponge idea for some time now. It seems to work well, but my problem is finding a reliable hygrometer to make sure the humidity is correct. I've done the salt test and have followed many other ideas from AGF members, but I still don't trust hygrometer accuracy.
Hi t-guy...
It really only has to be in the ball-park, and humidity doesn't change in harmful ways in seconds or minutes, but over days and weeks.

I figure if the hygrometer is within 5 points it's good to go. All my $7 Walmart ones read the same, so I have trusted them for quite a few years now.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM

For all of you using soap dish (I do it as well) - get some velcro, cut it to length, attach to soap dish bottom and to the guitar case.
No more worrying of it coming loose. And it is simple to remove.
I have also added a dab of superglue to make the bond stronger.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 AM

Although you place the soap dish in accessory compartment, it still hydrates the guitar case? You wouldn't think the moisture could get to the guitar cavity, with he case being so tight (???).
Old 11-29-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Although you place the soap dish in accessory compartment, it still hydrates the guitar case? You wouldn't think the moisture could get to the guitar cavity, with he case being so tight (???).
Good question I also wondered how effective case vs. soundhole, yet how else do you humidify freatboards? Guess it`s time to take hygometer readings.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
You can get one of these, locate it in the accessory compartment, and run the little "probe" out into the guitar compartment - either up in the neck cavity or down in the heel area. (The 'probe' is that little plastic end - weighs very little and won't damage the guitar even if it waves a bit.)
http://www.amazon.com/Meade-TS33F-M-...f=pd_sim_hg_26

If you pair it with one of these, you can monitor ambient and up to three remotes: http://www.amazon.com/TM005X-M-Wirel...ef=pd_sim_hg_1 .

(Honeywell markets the same products as these - I'm not sure who is the manufacturer really. Both Meade and Honeywell units work and will work with each other.)

Cheers,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 11-29-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I prefer sponges in Ziplock bags with slits cut into them to toothbrush cases or soap carrying dishes (ziplocks don't bounce around cases underneath the headstock of the guitar).
+1 I have been using the ziplock bag homemade humidifier (based on earlier posts that LJ made) for years. Instead of slits i just hole punched the bag. It works great, takes up very little space and is safe (bouncing/banging around in the case).

I thought of the plastic soap case thing too but i decided not to because of concern of it 'moving around' while i carry my case.

Ken
Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talister106 View Post
Good question I also wondered how effective case vs. soundhole, yet how else do you humidify freatboards? Guess it`s time to take hygometer readings.
Hi tailster...
We live in very (VERY) dry country, and I use both in the case.

I keep a Kyser Lifeguard in every case just balanced in the soundhole (after throwing out the stupid locking ring that can scratch sound holes). String pressure holds it in.

And I keep a sponge/ziplock in the headstock area of the case.

What I like about the Lifeguards is they keep the body humidified internally when the guitar is out of the case hanging or in stands. I teach, and my guitars are in a humidified room, but out for days at a time. They are a sponge-in-a-housing, and the 6 light colored holes on the underside are where the moisture is released into the box from. I've had some of mine since 1999 and they are going strong.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 11-29-2011, 09:52 AM

I've used the sponge in a baggie and sponge in a soap dish methods and both work well. Lately I've migrated toward the Oasis just because I like the design. I still supplement with the homemade variety as needed (New Mexico gets pretty dry too).
Old 11-29-2011, 10:08 AM

I use your typical soundhole humidifier, but ran into a slight problem with keeping the headstock section humidified.

(According to Bob Taylor...your whole guitar will be humidified even if you don't specifically put a humidifier in the headstock section.)

But I still wanted one there anyways. I found that using a Q-Tip plastic travel case works amazingly well. The case is about as thick as a deck of cards...and has a lid that snaps shut.

I bought one and then cut a sponge in half longways (remember the case isn't wide at all) and then cut the sponge in a nice rectangle shape and slid it in. I also drilled about 5 holes in the plastic case.

Here's a picture of what to look for if you want one and happen to be at the store.

G7th Capos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion