The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 AM

Default NGD - Yamaha FG730S VCS

I really thought I had my GAS under control... really. But, when I saw this beaut at a really good price and read the reviews on it here, I just couldn't let it escape. It's really everything it's reviewed to be. While it doesn't have the deep voice of the Sigma SD-28, it definitely has it's own voice and I like it. I took the saddle down a hair and it plays very nicely. It's a brand-new "demo" from an eBay store in NC and wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again. The armrest was picked up from eBay also. While not as "robust" as the John Pearce, it is certainly a very nice armrest. Handcrafted in Thailand. I've just been waiting for the right guitar to put it on and this is the one. I also changed out the tuning machines for the Grovers.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:52 AM

Very nice, Gary! Great looking burst. I didn't know Yamaha built guitars in Thailand.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Very nice, Gary! Great looking burst. I didn't know Yamaha built guitars in Thailand.
hehehe.... no, the armrest was made in Thailand. The guitar was built in China.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Congrats on the new guitar. Very nice!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
hehehe.... no, the armrest was made in Thailand. The guitar was built in China.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:18 PM

I have one just like it. Gets compliments on its looks and playability wherever I take it. I replaced the stock saddle with an antique bone one from Bob Colosi. ( I like the subdued color of it) and use John Pearse 600 p/b lights on it. I have tried many different strings and, to my ears, these work the best with this guitar. Your are right, it has its own tone, which goes good with my,(not so good) voice.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:32 PM

Hello Gary, that is one sweet looking guitar you have there! I'll bet it sounds great as well. I love my FG-730S! I really like those Grover tuners you have on there, you having me wanting to put some on mine! Congratulations and Enjoy!!!!

Martin acoustics
Fender and Gibson electrics
Old 12-12-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkblock View Post
Congrats on the new guitar. Very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I have one just like it. Gets compliments on its looks and playability wherever I take it. I replaced the stock saddle with an antique bone one from Bob Colosi. ( I like the subdued color of it) and use John Pearse 600 p/b lights on it. I have tried many different strings and, to my ears, these work the best with this guitar. Your are right, it has its own tone, which goes good with my,(not so good) voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfanforever View Post
Hello Gary, that is one sweet looking guitar you have there! I'll bet it sounds great as well. I love my FG-730S! I really like those Grover tuners you have on there, you having me wanting to put some on mine! Congratulations and Enjoy!!!!
Thanks, y'all! I've got some Martin PB lights on it that replaced what looks like some D'addario. The stock tuners were actually just fine, but I had these gold Grovers sitting around and I only changed them out for aesthetics. I like the way they look over the stock chrome ones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion