The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2014, 09:12 PM

I had the one with the white binding. Freaking amazing guitar. I sold it to someone here who loves it. I wish I had it back. It has the MLO neck which I like much better than the neck on my HD28. It is a great guitar. Go buy it tomorrow . The HD28 does feel more substantial, with all gloss...... the Custom D Rosewood is satin finish. Go get it.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 PM

if it has the white binding it is a DSR model, nicer than the custom D.
Dave
Old 12-12-2014, 09:52 AM

So the DSR is better than the custom d... ?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Mine is definitely a Custom D just like the one in the link I posted above. It has a Tortoise top binding. It's very plain Jane looking. They don't sell the Custom D anymore but it looks like they do sell the DSR. I don't know what the differences are but the DSR lists solid wood top side and back so it's probably similar and a very nice guitar.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmerO View Post
Mine is definitely a Custom D just like the one in the link I posted above. It has a Tortoise top binding. It's very plain Jane looking. They don't sell the Custom D anymore but it looks like they do sell the DSR. I don't know what the differences are but the DSR lists solid wood top side and back so it's probably similar and a very nice guitar.
The Custom D Rosewood and the DSR are essentially the same guitar with some minor cosmetic differences. The CDR preceded the DSR so the DSR is the latest version of an exclusive GC/Musicians Friend Martin custom model featuring solid sitka top and solid EIR back and sides in a satin finish.

Whether you consider one superior to the other would depend exclusively on how you feel about white binding (DSR) versus tortoise binding (CDR) and a multi-ring rosette (DSR) versus a single ring rosette (CDR). Otherwise these two share the same woods, bracing, and construction specifications (essentially Martin series 15).

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-12-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolshed View Post
So the hd28 is that much better?
I bought my MMV over an HD28 and a D35. If you have the opportunity to play the guitars buy the one that speaks to you.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:01 PM

If spending big on a guitar is a concern, get the custom d. At the end of the day they are very similar guitars and one isn't necessarily better than the other. Unless you specifically want that bassy canon sound, both guitars will have a lot of great things about them and you can save a lot of money. I think there is something special about a minimalistic guitar and the custom d seems to fit that bill

Martin om28v
Taylor 114e
Carvin CT6m

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion