The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Default NGD - Pono O-30D Parlor

This is my second Pono. My first was an all Acacia O-10. This one has an Engleman top with Rosewood back and sides. My first impressions are that it is richer in tone than my Acacia which isn't surprising because of the Rosewood. The fit and finish are impeccable. This is two models up from the one I have and you can see that it's a bit more refined.

The action is a little high but John the owner said he usually sends them out at medium action since it's easier to sand down the saddle than to do the opposite. I'm going to tighten the truss rod a bit and see if that's enough.

I would say this is easily on par with an Eastman Parlor for several hundred less.

For those not familiar this is a 12-fret, 24.75 scale guitar. Solid wood, bone saddle, ebony fingerboard and bridges.

John only sells direct so if you are interested send me a PM and I'll give you his email.

I'm being pressured to sell my guitars so look for a posting for my O-10.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:02 AM

Wow. I love this!! Can you shoot me his email? I have the acacia model with a cutaway, and would love a rosewood cutaway version.
2006 Yamaha SA2200
Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Great looking guitar! I love 12-fret aesthetics. Congrats.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 AM

Paul -- is your first Pono a cedar top? Mine is, and I'm wondering if that's what has me loving it so much. I never have figured out what gives this guitar "that sound" which I love, but the more I think about it, it may just be that I'm a cedar lover and didn't know it!

If your first was cedar, curious how it compares to this one. I wonder if John would do one with cedar top and rosewood back and sides...
2006 Yamaha SA2200
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Talking

"I'm being pressured to sell my guitars so look for a posting for my O-10."

Oh.....I know that feeling! Great looking Pono!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 AM

How much did it set you back? Im looking to get one just like that with a cutaway. That is a little later down the line as I had just bought a takamine two weeks ago.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
Paul -- is your first Pono a cedar top? Mine is, and I'm wondering if that's what has me loving it so much. I never have figured out what gives this guitar "that sound" which I love, but the more I think about it, it may just be that I'm a cedar lover and didn't know it!

If your first was cedar, curious how it compares to this one. I wonder if John would do one with cedar top and rosewood back and sides...
Mine first one is the O-10 all acacia. I think it has a little more sparkle but the new one is a little more richer in sound.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM

beautiful guitar, thanks for making me drool!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Hey Paul, what a sweet looking little guitar Bet it'll play like butter when you're done setting it up.

Ray
Old 03-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Looks great! But please don't tighten the truss rod to attempt to lower the action, unless you check and there is too much relief in the neck.

If the relief is ok, just put a piece of 200-400 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and slowly and gently rub the bottom of the saddle against it by holding it in the middle (to avoid uneven pressure on one end - which gives a slanted saddle). Check how far you've gotten frequently, sanding in small increments until you're happy with the height and action. Incredibly simple to do, and only marginally more effort than a truss rod turn, but you'll be addressing the height of the action without risking a backbow and buzzing from an inappropriately tightened truss rod.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
Looks great! But please don't tighten the truss rod to attempt to lower the action, unless you check and there is too much relief in the neck.

If the relief is ok, just put a piece of 200-400 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and slowly and gently rub the bottom of the saddle against it by holding it in the middle (to avoid uneven pressure on one end - which gives a slanted saddle). Check how far you've gotten frequently, sanding in small increments until you're happy with the height and action. Incredibly simple to do, and only marginally more effort than a truss rod turn, but you'll be addressing the height of the action without risking a backbow and buzzing from an inappropriately tightened truss rod.
I appreciate the advice. I just made a small quarter turn so I didn't think that would hurt it much. I was about to do more and than thought it might be better to take it to my luthier and see how much it could be tightened without damaging it. Depending on what he says I'll leave it for him to take down the saddle.

I hate to leave it this soon though!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:14 AM

The dark grains in this top look fantastic by the way.
2006 Yamaha SA2200
Old 03-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Paul! I have two Pono's now, and really love em. My OOOO is cedar over mahogany, and my O is cedar over acacia... A spruce rosewood OOO or dread in my future... possibly Enjoy
Old 03-01-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Tarts View Post
How much did it set you back? Im looking to get one just like that with a cutaway. That is a little later down the line as I had just bought a takamine two weeks ago.
A little under $900 with soft case shipped. That's about the middle price range of their line but near the upper for their palors.

Worth every penny.

Last edited by Rosewood99; 03-20-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:44 PM

Congrats Paul!! What a beauty. Do you think you'll get a third Pono?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion