The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Need advice on acoustic pickups

Howdy Everyone. What in your humble opinions are the best way to go to add electronics to an acoustic that will give true acoustic sound. Looking to maybe add pickup or mic to my Hummingbird.

Thanks
Bill
Old 04-01-2007, 02:50 PM

hey wild bill,
well, your question will probably get alot of different answers depending on folks tastes and styles but i personally recommend the K&K mini pure western pickup. it is a sound board pickup so it senses the vibration of the guitar top and not the string/saddle vibrations a UST would. this (to me) gives a warmer, woody, full tone that it is the most similar to the way the guitar sounds acoustically. you can also add a mic to it (called the trinity system) and blend the two sources for some very nice tones. if you go with just the mini western, you won't need batteries either which is nice. plus they are very affordable and fairly easy to install yourself if you know how to use a mirror and some super glue!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:37 PM

+1 on the K&K mini....

Easy to install... also easy to mess up the install, but just follow the instructions and do a practice run.

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 04-01-2007, 03:42 PM

depends on your gigging setup.

if you're playing in a death metal band feedback will be a major issue. a under saddle piezo and a soundhole plug.

for low volume and studio work I've always fancied a Fishman elipse blend, but I stick with the piezos

I've never been able to get on with soundhole pups. they just don't sound good to my ears.
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Eric Skye

In situations where you can’t make a mic work, the Mini is pretty tough to beat. Needs a little eq- I happen to like a little six or ten band eq pedal over any of the popular acoustic preamps out there. But either way it’s a very simple and inexpensive way to get a good live sound.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:55 PM

Another vote for the K&K. Here is a link to a sound clip I made with my Tacoma DM18 after putting a K&K Pure Western Mini in it...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=98020
Old 04-01-2007, 04:00 PM

If you do not play in very loud situations, I definitely agree on the K&K pure western mini. If you are playing in a loud stage environment, the K&K Powermix Pure would provide a piezo PU to blend in with the mini, plus a very effective onboard preamp with gain and EQ controls for each pickup. It also has volume controls for each pickup that mount under the rim of the soundhole. I have a K&K Powermix Pure in my Gibson J200 and it makes my guitar sound very natural when plugged in... I am very pleased with it. It is also non invasive and does not require any cutting or drilling for most guitars.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:20 PM

has anyone tried the trinity system from k&k?
the one with mic and pure western mini...

i'm curious as to how this sounds.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:59 PM

i have the trinity in my GSRS. it's phenomenal!! i crank the sbt up about 75% and the mic 25% for a worship setting with a full electric band. no feedback issues at all. any more mic and it's gets a little tempermental with feedback. in a REAL loud situation i just plug in a mono cable and default to the mini western. highly recommended! make sure you get the k&k preamp blender with it.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:40 PM

I put the K & K mini in my Martin 000. I gives a very transparent sound so it sounds like your guitar unplugged.

Plenty of signal for most situations without any feedback.
You can add an external pre-amp if you like.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
Howdy Everyone. What in your humble opinions are the best way to go to add electronics to an acoustic that will give true acoustic sound. Looking to maybe add pickup or mic to my Hummingbird.

Thanks
Bill
That depends on a lot of factors. For example, whether you are solo or play in a band, the venues you might play at, whether you flatpick or play fingerstyle, your personal preferences, and you overall budget.

There are hundreds of signal chain combinations out there from several hudred dollars to over $10,000. If you provide more information, it would be helpful.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:08 PM

KK mini here.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
What in your humble opinions are the best way to go to add electronics to an acoustic that will give true acoustic sound.
Can't be done -- no pickup on the planet sounds as good as a guitar played into a decent mic. You might get something that's acceptable, but it's not going to sound just like an acoustic guitar!

Don Smith
Old 04-02-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind gibsona View Post
Can't be done -- no pickup on the planet sounds as good as a guitar played into a decent mic. You might get something that's acceptable, but it's not going to sound just like an acoustic guitar!

Don Smith
While it is true that the right microphone into all of the right sound equipment often sounds the most natural, I believe the original question was related to adding electronics to an acoustic guitar. With that in mind, perhaps we can help Bill with his question rather than disqualify it...

FWIW, I've heard several pickup systems make an acoustic guitar sound darn close if not identical in live settings, to what their guitar sounds like unplugged, just louder. Although I opt to record guitar with mics, I have found a good PU system to be more than sufficient for ANY live situation. After all, my choice of studio mics running into my Vintech 1272 preamp, which then runs into my audio interface, then into my computer involves a great deal of electronics. My PU system/signal chain for my guitars are actually less complicated and perfectly suited for playing out.... Just my two cents
Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind gibsona View Post

Don Smith
Come to one of my shows. I'll do my best to change your mind. I've had people ask where I put the mic. And I've had people ask how my guitar projects so well, because the don't even notice my little AER Compact 60 sitting on a nearby table or piano top.

K&K mini on three guitars, and D-Tar Wavelength on another. Both give wonderful ACOUSTIC tone, and easy to use.
David's CDs

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion