The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2023, 07:34 AM

Default Halcyon - Two Thumbs Up!

It’s a beautiful thing when the info you read on the AGF turns out to be true, and I’m lucky enough to have had this happen several times now. My latest purchase is a Halcyon 12-fret SS dread, and it is killer! Let’s begin:

Aesthetics: as many know, these models have a stripped down satin (open pore?) finish. I would say the finish looks very similar to a Taylor GS Mini. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I like it. It’s a thin finish. The Padauk b/s are very pretty, and the Lutz top is a lovely piece of wood for a soundboard.

Playability: VERY Taylor-esque in terms of playability and feel. It’s a fast neck, and the fret work is top notch.

Tone: this is where the Halcyon really shines. Do you like sustain and overtones for days? Good, because they are abundant. There’s a reverb quality that I’ve seldom heard on acoustics, and it really is pronounced when flat picking the midrange and trebles (this most of all is what made me fall in love with the guitar). And for the volume? It’s extremely LOUD! I can softly finger pick the strings and the notes stream out at such a nice volume. The back is a “live” back, and so playing the E, A, D, and G strings really makes the back vibrate and punch into my gut.

After placing a mirror inside the soundhole, I discovered some of the lightest bracing I’ve ever seen on a guitar. Tall and thin, which I’ve read correlates well with a bright, lively, rich in overtones, reverby, balanced (but still very bass heavy) tone. That’s precisely what this guitar sounds like. Oh, and did I mention it’s loud? It’s a nice counterpart to the warmer guitars I already own.

I really love it. And for the price? Come on. I got it for a steal! Can’t recommend these guitars highly enough.

Chris
Old 10-27-2023, 09:12 AM

Thumbs up

For me as well. I have a 000, 12 fret, Lutz/walnut that Ed built for me this year and it's wonderful. The wait was well worth it.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Sounds awesome. I'm still in the queue for my build but should be soon. Some of his builds look phenomenal on the Halcyon Facebook page. It's a good place to see some completed models he offers. The small jumbo looks quite nice.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Sounds awesome. I'm still in the queue for my build but should be soon. Some of his builds look phenomenal on the Halcyon Facebook page. It's a good place to see some completed models he offers. The small jumbo looks quite nice.
I’m sure you will be thrilled. Gotta be one of the best value buys on the market.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
For me as well. I have a 000, 12 fret, Lutz/walnut that Ed built for me this year and it's wonderful. The wait was well worth it.
Is that the model with scalloped bracing? Mine is tapered (tall and thin), so I would love to hear about the tonal differences between the two bracing systems, subjective as they are.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post

Got an older 000-12 Lutz/figured mahogany last year. It’s a wonderful fingerstyle guitar. I am working on my flat picking, and I’m sure that when I get moderately competent at that it will good there as well.
Some previous owner buffed it to a soft sheen, which looks great.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:17 PM

I had a 00 walnut/lutz that had a good sound, better than most 00's but no reverby/sustainy. It was a solid sound that would have been beautiful if it had a ggloss finish. The woods were very nice.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Got an older 000-12 Lutz/figured mahogany last year. It’s a wonderful fingerstyle guitar. I am working on my flat picking, and I’m sure that when I get moderately competent at that it will good there as well.
Some previous owner buffed it to a soft sheen, which looks great.
I should add that this guitar is also great for finger style, which is what I play 95% of the time.

Last edited by BlueBowman; 10-27-2023 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I had a 00 walnut/lutz that had a good sound, better than most 00's but no reverby/sustainy. It was a solid sound that would have been beautiful if it had a ggloss finish. The woods were very nice.
Mercy, do you remember the bracing system on your 00? I wonder if yours was scalloped bracing, which would give you a "drier," more fundamental tone (reminiscent of the pre-war Martin sound)?
Old 10-27-2023, 05:18 PM

Congrats, enjoy it forever.

Photos ? or link to?
Old 10-27-2023, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Congratulations! Enjoy your new guitar for years to come!
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-27-2023, 07:07 PM

Thank you, Herman and Jayne!

One day I will figure out how to post a dang picture! Or perhaps I'll be a charter member soon, and it'll make the picture hurdle a bit easier
Old 10-28-2023, 02:17 AM

Blue, it was not scalloped. Really good guitar tone for a 00 but no reverby and little sustain. I liked to look at though.
Old 10-28-2023, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Blue, it was not scalloped. Really good guitar tone for a 00 but no reverby and little sustain. I liked to look at though.
Right on. I'm sure they use a variety of bracing patterns.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion