The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2023, 06:13 AM

Default Boucher and Brazilian Mahogany

Wondering how or why Boucher came to use this on mahogany models-availability, sonic properties, etc. I hadnt heard of it before. Any experiences or comparisons? Aesthetically it seems much lighter colored.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:43 AM

Just another name for Honduran Mahogany....I'm guessing they're playing the "Brazilian" card for marketing reasons.

https://www.wood-database.com/honduran-mahogany/

Mahogany is not naturally dark/stained - stain is applied by the builder, or not.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

As far as I understand, Brazilian Mahogany is the same species as Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla). Whether it's denser or lighter in color because of environmental differences, or has better acoustical properties I'd only be speculating on (though some folks here might have some more knowledge about that).

It could simply be a matter of attributing it to where it's actually been grown.

But, I suspect that for more than a few people, seeing the word "Brazilian" in front of a wood variety makes them think it's a premium and desirable product because of the cache of Brazilian Rosewood. So, it could also just be an attempt to manufacture a greater sense of exclusivity.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-10-2023, 07:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

As others have said, it's purely marketing. I've cut a ton of mahogany lumber, from many different suppliers, into acoustic guitar sets over the years and found it to be very consistent in weight and stiffness, and I'm sure it's come from many different geographical locations. Adding the word Brazillian means nothing other than the fact that it may have come from Brazil, I suppose.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Just another name for Honduran Mahogany....I'm guessing they're playing the "Brazilian" card for marketing reasons.

https://www.wood-database.com/honduran-mahogany/
Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
As far as I understand, Brazilian Mahogany is the same species as Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla).
This is interesting, and the Wood Database confirms. By contrast EIR, Madagascar, and Brazilian are all different species. These are all the same genus, as are cocobolo and others. By contrast the database only lists one other species of mahogany besides Honduran in the Swietenia genus- Cuban. In fact, "mahogany" derives from the species name.

Quote:
Cuban Mahogany (Swietenia mahogani)This is the original mahogany. Historically, these huge trees yielded exceptional lumber, but over-harvesting and just plain wastefulness (logs as large as twelve inches in diameter were used as firewood) led to this species’ depletion. In 1946, Cuba banned all exporting of the wood due to over-harvesting and high demand; it has also been in scarce supply from other sources in the Caribbean as well. Today, the lumber has become so obscure that the term “genuine mahogany” now applies almost exclusively to its close relative, Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla). Small boards and pieces are intermittently available: these are usually from storm-damaged trees grown locally (i.e., within the United States).
I know very little about wood but I've never heard of Cuban mahogany. Was this used in guitars prior to 1946? The US had trade with Cuba before the revolution, and Cuba is pretty close to the US. It sounds like a grail tonewood. I am guessing it was not used, otherwise we might be referring to "Cuban" as a thing.

Last edited by marciero; 01-11-2023 at 06:55 AM. Reason: attribution of prior post that I missed
Old 01-11-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
This is interesting, and the Wood Database confirms. By contrast EIR, Madagascar, and Brazilian are all different species. These are all the same genus, as are cocobolo and others. By contrast the database only lists one other species of mahogany besides Honduran in the Swietenia genus- Cuban. In fact, "mahogany" derives from the species name.

I know very little about wood but I've never heard of Cuban mahogany. Was this used in guitars prior to 1946? The US had trade with Cuba before the revolution, and Cuba is pretty close to the US. It sounds like a grail tonewood. I am guessing it was not used, otherwise we might be referring to "Cuban" as a thing.
Cuban Mahogany grew in many places, not just Cuba. Jamaica was covered with it and it even grows in Florida. It was simply known as Mahogany for centuries. Guitars were and are made from it today although it is definitely an upcharge these days. They haven't been built from it in great numbers since the 19th century. Now days, most of it comes from Hawaii of all places.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Cuban Mahogany grew in many places, not just Cuba. Jamaica was covered with it and it even grows in Florida. It was simply known as Mahogany for centuries. Guitars were and are made from it today although it is definitely an upcharge these days. They haven't been built from it in great numbers since the 19th century. Now days, most of it comes from Hawaii of all places.
This forum led me to someplace not long ago where I read about a
big Cuban mahogany tree on a golf course in Florida that got harvested
and made into a/some nice guitars...

-Mike
Old 01-11-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Cuban Mahogany (Swietenia mahogani)This is the original mahogany. Historically, these huge trees yielded exceptional lumber, but over-harvesting and just plain wastefulness (logs as large as twelve inches in diameter were used as firewood) led to this species’ depletion. In 1946, Cuba banned all exporting of the wood due to over-harvesting and high demand; it has also been in scarce supply from other sources in the Caribbean as well. Today, the lumber has become so obscure that the term “genuine mahogany” now applies almost exclusively to its close relative, Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla). Small boards and pieces are intermittently available: these are usually from storm-damaged trees grown locally (i.e., within the United States) .
I was coming to post basically the same thing. Swietenia mahogani is the original wood and it is definitely not Brazilian although it may be harder to find that Brazilian Rosewood. For what it's worth, I grew up in the Caribbean and used to call that wood Caoba Dominicana. So we thought it was mainly from the Dominican Republic and it is their national tree, but it grows across the West Indies. I bet luthiers can get it from the DR or Puerto Rico but since it doesn't have the reputation of Brazilian Rosewood, why bother when you can get the big leaf mahogany ( Swietenia macrophylla). To be fair I guess the woods look quite similar, but it is absolutely a different species from it's big leaf cousins. My parents have some growing in the backyard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion