The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Business Casual

Default How Can I Protect My 110?

I know its not solid wood....but what about the fretboard and top?

Shy of purchasing a hardshell case and monitoring the humidity in my home what can I do to protect my 110 from drying out in the Vegas heat? If I humidify it inside the gigbag will that suffice?

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:31 PM

Can't speak for gigbags, but a hardshell case (any quality brand) is surprisingly efficient at maintaining humidity. Here in NC, I see room humidity swing between 28-60% over a weekend, depending on rain and heat. My cases stay between 40-45% for weeks on end. IMO, an $80.00 case can save alot of heartache in the longrun, humidity-related and otherwise.

Yes, laminated guitars are less susceptible to humidity and my Martin DM has shown no humidity-related distress even during "unpleasant conditions", but there's no need to test them.

All you can do is the best you can do. Just try to keep an eye out for symptoms of dryness... sunken tops and exposed fret-ends. The guitar will tell you if it's too dry. Taylor's tech sheets are full of good info on humidity-related symptoms. Worth a look...

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 03-26-2004, 08:19 PM

Even though the sides and back are laminate, get a humidifier for the solid top. IMHO, the gig back will suffice if you keep a ready eye one your guitar
Old 03-27-2004, 12:39 AM

I take a shower with mine 1x every other week. I leave the case open in my bathroom when I shower. I livein a dry apt in Maryland. Im looking for a product to clean the fretboard though. It seems dirty.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mprover
Im looking for a product to clean the fretboard though. It seems dirty.
Get a can of Fast Fret. Rub the applicator on the strings and on the fretboard between the strings. Then take the cloth that comes with it and slip it under the strings; and slide it up and down the fretboard, holding it around the neck like you were polishing a shoe. Then slowly rub between each fret. Don't try anything stronger or oiler, because you don't want to dry out or gunk up the pores of the ebony.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

Last edited by Chicago Sandy; 03-28-2004 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:19 AM

You should be able to humidify inside the gig bag. The gig bag just won't stabilize as well for as long a period, so in dry times you will probably have to refill the humidifier you are using more often, and monitor a little more carefully.

I've even read posts from folks who leave their guitars out on a stand with a bowl of water under them. Don't know if it works or not, but some seem happy with it...

Passed on to my son:
1971 Guild D35

She said, he said, live like no tomorrow
Every day we borrow brings us one step closer to the edge...infinity
Where's your treasure, Who's your hope?
...We got information in the information age
but do we really know what life is outside of our convenient Lexus cages?

--Switchfoot
Old 03-27-2004, 08:41 AM

Your 110 should hold up just fine. The main thing is to play it and enjoy it!

A gig bag works well in most conditions.....
Old 03-27-2004, 11:08 PM

If you want an inexpensive hard case, Musicians Friend carries a 5-ply wood case with a Tolex-like covering that fits it very nicely. I bought one for my 110 before I sold it to a friend of my daughters. I think the cases are selling for under $60 right now...often they're on sale for up to $20 less. Well worth it, IMO.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:15 PM

I had a Big Baby, similar to the 110, suffer some damage from humidity. You probably dont need to worry about it from now on till winter, but my brother left it near a heater and the fingerboard shrunk. Fret ends stuck out and the action was VERY high....but nothing happened to the top, thankfully. Just throw a humidifier in there to protect the top and you should be fine.
Peace,
Brian

Taylor 414ce
Larrivee OM-03
Ibanez AW300CENT
Brian Moore i8
Custom Built Strat

My hope is in Jesus Christ.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:00 PM

Default this may be overkill but----

ok, you build a climate control shed inside of the biggest room of your house. you line the shed with insulation up the yin yang with just enough room so you can fit the 110 inside. the shed doesnt have to be too big i guess. but the more insulation the better right? so think big! you can also protect the outter exterior of the shed with a high grade finish of some kind which would also provide a fair layer of protection. so you have the finish, the wood of the shed, the insulation. thats 3 layers of protection INSIDE OF YOUR HOUSE. cant go wrong imo
2004 Fender "American" Stratocaster Deluxe
2006 Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster
2005 Fender 52 reissue Telecaster
1997 Fender Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster
1992 Gibson Chet Atkins SST
1978 DiGiorgio Conservatorio #2
1967 Vincente Sanchis Badia Classical
www.myspace.com/garagebossa
Old 03-30-2004, 10:16 PM
wyodeb

Smile

I use a Planet Waves humidifier in my Big Baby gigbag and my Larrivee Parlor gigbag. We live in Wyoming, where it is also quite dry. I refill them much more often than it says to on the box. At least every other day, when it is dry. Basically, I just inject them with water whenever I put the guitar back after playing it. They are both doing just fine (and the parlor is solid wood).

Deb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion