The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-12-2022, 05:16 AM

Default Yamaha Transacoustics

I am fascinated by the Yamaha Transacoustics. I don’t know how they do it. But that aside, it does appear that Yamaha has come up with something totally new. I personally do not have an application for that technology. I guess that my imagination and creativity just doesn’t reach that far, but I am curious about how, when and where one uses the chorus and/or reverb functions. I also wonder if this “transacoustic” thing will eventually go the way of the Virzi device that came out way back when on the Gibson F-5 mandolins. Most of which were removed by the owners shortly after delivery.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure how "new" the idea was. Their TA guitars have an "exciter", a transducer, on the interior of the back of the guitar. The signal from the under saddle pickup is processed then sent to the exciter, allowing them to add the reverb and chorus effects using the back of the guitar as a speaker element. Yamaha has used similar technology in their pianos since around 2013.

The Tonewood Amp for guitars does a similar thing, i.e. vibrates the back of the guitar using the signal from the under saddle pickup, but in a slightly different way. I think the TWA appeared in 2012 or 2013. But the TWA has many more adjustable options and effects than the Yamaha TA.

A little later, around 2017 I think, the HyVibe system appeared, which also uses exciters, but they are on the underside of the guitar top. Same principle, but the HyVibe, being controlled by a phone app with fairly robust software, claims to be the world's first smart guitar - something that doesn't appear to be very popular on this forum and is probably aimed at, shall we say, a younger crowd .

Now there are a few carbon fiber "smart" guitars, which use similar technology.

I've had a Yamaha TA and a guitar with the HyVibe system. Regarding your question about where one would use it, I mostly just found it fun to play at home. Adding a touch of reverb to some tunes has a nice effect. But it can easily be overdone. One nice thing about these systems is that they're portable. Just pick up the guitar, hit a button and play. No need for any cables or external electronics.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:37 AM

I really liked the ones I played strictly acoustic and liked the color that they added. If not for the fact that they are not 1.75 at the nut, I would be a happy owner at this time.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:13 AM

I'm fascinated by the TransAcoustics as well. I played an FG-TA at my local Guitar Center last week. It was a lot of fun -- I didn't want to put it down!

I like the effect best with just a little bit of reverb and chorus dialed in. Fingerpicking a few tunes with the TA effects on was when I really liked it. The guitar also sounded very nice without any effects turned on.

LL-TA's are harder to find. The LL-16D that I tried at a different local shop was a lovely guitar in every respect, so I'm hoping to try an LL-TA sometime soon. That Brown Sunburst finish with the clear pickguard makes it a very good looking instrument.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 09-12-2022, 11:43 AM

I looked on MF, they have their Jumbo sized with a 1.75 nut. Awfully tempting…..
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
Old 09-12-2022, 02:03 PM

I have both the LS-TA (OOO style) and GC-TA (Classical) transacoustics. It is very satisfying to add a touch of reverb while couch picking. Chorus is also OK, if you add just a tiny bit.

IMHO, the effects sound a bit "metallic" to me, though not as much so on the CG-TA (Classical).

I also have a tonewood amp, which I think sounds better, offers more options, and more ways to tailor the effects. However, I do like the convenience of the transacoustic systems just being "there", and ready for use.

Both instruments sound great on their own without turning the Transacoustic system on. Yamaha makes some nice guitars.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 09-12-2022, 02:16 PM

I would be interested if the unit could be retrofitted into my Taylor. That would an interesting thing.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
Old 09-12-2022, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbraker View Post
I would be interested if the unit could be retrofitted into my Taylor. That would an interesting thing.
You can do that with the HyVibe system.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:00 PM

Default Yamaha Transacoustics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You can do that with the HyVibe system.

This is new to me, I’ve been playing mostly electric bass for the past few years, and have been out of the loop.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
Old 09-12-2022, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbraker View Post
This is new to me, I’ve been playing mostly electric bass for the past few years, and have been out of the loop.
Yeah, it's interesting. You can buy the system from Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/Installatio...s%2C265&sr=8-2

and then either install it yourself, or have someone do it for you. There is a list of "approved" installers here:
https://www.hyvibeguitar.com/authorized-installers/

I see you're in OH. Looks like Ely Guitars in Madison OH is on the list.

You might be able to get a discount on the system price by having it installed. Depends on the installer.

You can get more info if you search the forum for HyVibe, or go to hyvibeguitar.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion