The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2022, 02:34 PM

Default Hearing Aid Volume

I (long overdue) upgraded my hearing aids and now the clack of the pick and the trebles are overwhelming and frankly unpleasant sounding. I cut the volume down four clicks on the aids and it's tolerable but I suspect what I am hearing with the volume down is not an accurate depiction of what I am producing. I surely don't want anyone to hear what my hearing aids are depicting to me. Should I tell my music group I'm not coming back to our sessions and just shut the door and play to myself? Anyone had a similar experience? I have profound high frequency hearing loss so I play with custom light strings and try to play as softly as possible. Thanks Everyone for reading, any response would be appreciated.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:42 PM

Ive worn hearing aids since 1989. Just picked up a new set of Resound One aids. I have an app on my phone that has a music setting. This really does the trick. Go your audiologist, and don't give up
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 05-22-2022, 03:27 PM

Go back to your audiologist. Take a guitar if needed and find the frequencies that are bothering you and have them tame it. It’s what I did. Been working for the last 5 years.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Go back to your audiologist. Take a guitar if needed and find the frequencies that are bothering you and have them tame it. It’s what I did. Been working for the last 5 years.
This^.

Many newer hearing aids have a number of adjustments that can be made. If your hearing aids have feedback suppression and/or something that reduces wind noise, either can mess with the sound you get. A music setting sometimes takes care of it, but sometimes not. But if you return to you audiologist and take a guitar and keep him/her working with the possible adjustments as you play in between the adjustments, you will be able to improve things significantly.

And, if you can adjust the aids using an app, you can fiddle around with those settings as well. Maybe reduce the volume while keeping the trebles, maybe keep the volume but reduce the trebles, and slowly figure out what is going to give you the best results.

And in a jam or when playing in a group, it might help to adjust the directional setting (if you have one), so that you only get sound in front of you (180 degrees, or 135) rather than 360 degrees.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:50 PM

On my Starkey Livio 2400s there is an app where you can customize programs from your phone. You can save these from presets that you can only call up from your phone. What I do is experiment and come up with really good setups. Then I get the audiologist to program these setups into the hardware presets.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:52 PM

I have taken my guitar to the audiologist and had some improvement however I prefer removing my aids when I play otherwise I get a hifi electrostatic sound that is too detailed and bright regardless of setting. There was a thread a few months ago and it was mentioned that the brand Widex Moment was supposedly the cat's meow for musicians.

Last edited by hifivic; 05-22-2022 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:58 PM

I have a Phonak set with a bluetooth phone app that I can make a custom setting , I can reduce the high frequencies (well all of them actually) - I've done just that so I can choose the setting with cut highs when I feel the need - I could make many more custom settings and just store them in the app - if you don't have access to a company app for your set, go back to the audiologist and work with them till you/they get it right and you're comfortable with what you are hearing.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:04 PM

Thanks to all for this insightful info. I have a group music session this week and an aid tune-up the next week. These suggestions are most helpful. What a great group this is!
Old 05-23-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
This is what I did. Takes time, but it’s achievable.

Good luck.
Rb
Old 05-23-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

How do they sound when you listen to other people playing, in person or recordings? I would think that if music otherwise sounds good it might be be an indication of if it is a hearing aid problem or not. Also maybe it just takes some time to adjust.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-23-2022, 08:32 AM

I find the hearing aids have to be off any noise canceling, which is what normal settings do for wind and such.

The old set of hearing aids could have been gunked up with earwax, or just old that those things don't hold a candle to the ability of the new ones. It took about two weeks for me to fully get used to the sound of hearing aids and to help my singing voice get used to them.

The other thing is to try different strings and picks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion