The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-23-2020, 11:50 AM

Default Taylor 110e - Humidity issues - Daddario Humidity pack?

Hi,

So I got my Taylor in the beginning of humidity issues, neck was already getting a weird angle not allowing the action to be lowered without buzz fret.

That doesn't surprise me because where I live, this time of the year I have around 85% humidity in some rooms of my house.

So Taylor is now taking care of this and they said that it's going to be ok (probable was only on the beginning), but since there is only so much I can do with a dehumidifier, I'm buying Daddario Two Way Humidity Pack.

Question is, can I use the original Taylor guitar case (is semi-rigid), or do I need to have a hard shell to use those?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TMachado; 12-23-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

If you have 85% in your home I don't think humidi-paks are going to help. Some may advise other ideas but I think the best solution is to put a dehumidifier in one room and get it down to 40-50%. Put your 110e on a stand in that room for a several weeks and then if you still have issues have a tech reset the neck. If 110's are like other Taylors it's bolt on and not a huge deal, although the cost may still seem like a lot compared to the cost of the 110e.

If you can't control room humidity then the only thing I can think of is buy a hard case (as you asked) and a case hygrometer; add desiccant paks and try to get your case/guitar into the right humidity range. Others on AGF will have more experience with that than me.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:01 PM

Cases acclimate to the surrounding environment's humidity so even if you put the Taylor in a case it will still have the same humidity as the room, although it will take longer to get there than a gig bag.

One thing, if you can keep the case's humidity down then that should help. You just need to ensure that when you take the guitar out you close the case.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMachado View Post
Hi,

So I got my Taylor in the beginning of humidity issues, neck was already getting a weird angle not allowing the action to be lowered without buzz fret.

That doesn't surprise me because where I live, this time of the year I have around 85% humidity in some rooms of my house.

So Taylor is now taking care of this and they said that it's going to be ok (probable was only on the beginning), but since there is only so much I can do with a dehumidifier, I'm buying Daddario Two Way Humidity Pack.

Question is, can I use the original Taylor guitar case (is semi-rigid), or do I need to have a hard shell to use those?

Thanks in advance!
They will not help you at all. Not a chance. Very good at humidifying but not dehumidifying, despite the product’s claims. You need air conditioning and/or a dehumidifier. Plain and simple.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-23-2020, 04:40 PM

I answered your identical post a few minutes ago on that other forum. To summarize:
  • choose desiccant packs over Humidpaks because those are not really "two-way"
  • a hard case contains or protects against moisture much better than a gig bag / hard bag / Aero case
Old 12-23-2020, 05:56 PM

Thank you all!

I’ll get a hard case and a few packs of silica gel, while controlling with hygrometer.

Just need to figure out on how much sílica gel, but I guess will be trial and error.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion