The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 09:03 AM

Default String advice

I have been using extra light strings on a fifty-year-old dreadnought, and I keep reading on line that dreadnoughts need heavier strings. Should I try custom lights or move up straight away to lights? I am sure that mediums would be too much, both for me and the guitar.
Thank you in anticipation.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 AM

It's completely a matter of personal preference and theres no right or wrong. Some people prefer heavier strings, some prefer lighter strings. If pure volume is what you are going for, than heavier strings will give you a little more which is why so many bluegrass players prefer medium gauge strings on their dreads.

If it were me, and I'd only been using extra lights, I'd probably move to special lights and see what I thought before going heavier but again, there's no right or wrong.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 AM

I play folk, not bluegrass, and have been moving back and forth between lights and extra lights on my dread this past year as I go through treatments for cancer. I have been surprised that changing string gauge does very little to affect tone or volume. Part of this may be that my dread is a lightly built Martin: Sitka spruce top with mahogany back and sides. It doesn't take a whole lot to get noise out of that guitar.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:55 AM

My #1 is a 1972 D35, so it's not so far behind yours in age. It can even handle medium gauge strings. I would say that you seem to be worried about too much tension. Tension and gauge are only loosely related. If that is important and you want to move to a heavier gauge, perhaps to get a beefier sound, then there are many strings that publish their tension (though some measure differently). There is GHS, Santa Cruz, Straight Up Strings, Elixirs. And unmeasured, but feel lighter than standard light gauge, my favorites on my D35... DR Sunbeam 12's.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-11-2019, 09:59 AM

changing strings can be a fun way to see if there is improvement in tone to your ears. one key thing will be if you like the change and plan to make it permanent, the change may affect your action/intonation and affect playability and you may need a new setup or adjustment.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

As long as I thought the guitar, bridge, bracing etc. was in reasonable shape, I wouldn’t hesitate to move to lights as a step. You’re wise in considering the guitar AND your fingers. Also, if the setup is geared to extra lights it’s possible you might experience some fret buzz as u move up in gauge. A good move could be to try a few different string types/gauges and if you find one you’re happy with, then get the guitar setup for those. I’d temporarily ignore a little string buzz during your experiments. What I mean is, if you found, e,g., that medium-lights sounded and felt the best, but produced a buzz or two on a couple frets, you can usually take care of the buzz with a new set-up.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:08 PM

You should move up to Light gauge strings as soon as you can get them purchased.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
I have been using extra light strings on a fifty-year-old dreadnought, and I keep reading on line that dreadnoughts need heavier strings. Should I try custom lights or move up straight away to lights? I am sure that mediums would be too much, both for me and the guitar.
Hi, you don't sa what make your 50 year old dread is.

Assuming that it is a Martin, then it would be late '60s/ '70s dread?

These guitars were designed for medium guage strings (which I prefer) but if it hasn't already had one it may soon need a neck reset.

Using such extreme ly thin strings is , of course minimising the tension on that neck and joint, but you aren't (IMHO) getting the best tone out of it.

There is another thread (a poll)asking who uses lights and who uses mediums on their dreads.

Perhaps it might be worth consulting a luthier to check on the condition of your guitar before making any changes.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
Why change? If something isn't broken, why fix it? If you like the way it plays and sounds forget about what you have read.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion