The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I'm confused. I have three mixers. Two Mackies and one Yamaha. Are you saying that the 1/4" balanced outputs on the bigger Mackie are 6db lower than the xlr outs from the Mackie? As I stated earlier, the volume was the same with the trs to channel3 as xlr to channel 1 at line level. The adapters for the xlr to trs shipped today.

That's exactly what the manual says. XLR outs are 6 dB louder than the TRS outs from your Mackie mixer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-27-2017, 12:30 PM

MartinGitDave

which manual are we talking about? I don't see that in the DFX-12 (except maybe an interpretation of the diagram that shows clearly a true balanced signal)

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 04-27-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
MartinGitDave

which manual are we talking about? I don't see that in the DFX-12 (except maybe an interpretation of the diagram that shows clearly a true balanced signal)

Cuki

It's in the new manual for the FX Pro 2, which is designed the same way, I believe.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 PM

I've been in contact with someone at JBL Professional about the lack of volume when using the line level inputs on 1,2, 3 and 4. I told him we've been discussing this issue on this forum as well. He said he hadn't heard this complaint and I informed him it's been mentioned in many online reviews.

He'll get back to me tomorrow. We'll see what he says.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
He said he hadn't heard this complaint and I informed him it's been mentioned in many online reviews.
Was he from the commercial or eng. department?

I can't believe he did not hear about that....
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 04-28-2017, 06:50 AM

Default Exciting New PA Option: JBL EON ONE Pro

I'll be honest, it's just a matter of engaging the mic pad and turning down the pot. It's not that big a deal. I hope they fixed it in the new release.

My biggest concern with the mixer is the omission of the mid EQ control. You have to boot bass and treble to get an effective mid cut. It's not the end of the world, but it would be of solid musical benefit for people with acoustic guitars and pickups. The new model's High Z feature is nice, but the Trance Amulets produce clean Low Z signals. So, it's not an issue for me.

I played for two hours last night through the JBL and did some experimenting. I used the raw pickup into channel 1 on JBL mixer, the Play Acoustic into channels 1 and 2, and the XR12 digital mixer into Channels 3/4.

I was able to get a good tone from all three. The easiest to get a good natural tone from was the Play Acoustic. Even though I have the Trance system, it's still a pickup, and sounds better with some of the body res EQ.

For solo work, I've concluded that the XR12 digital mixer with iPad control is simply too cumbersome. It sounds really great, but connecting via Wifi with an iPad is a pain. If it was an always on Bluetooth connection, it might be a tad easier.

If you have the people with you, and need the channels, it's likely worth it. By yourself... nada. For solo work, I'd get an analog mixer with sweepable mids, unless you've integrated the iPad into your performing workflow already.

I'll be packing up the XR12 until I have a real need, or join another band. Otherwise, I'll be putting it up for sale. I'm just too distracted by technology when trying to make music.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
If you have the people with you, and need the channels, it's likely worth it. By yourself... nada. For solo work, I'd get an analog mixer with sweepable mids, unless you've integrated the iPad into your performing workflow already.

I'll be packing up the XR12 until I have a real need, or join another band. Otherwise, I'll be putting it up for sale. I'm just too distracted by technology when trying to make music.
I wrote before you bought it:
Quote:
again the main drawback of this thing is the dependence on the tablet (iOS, app, Availability...)

After sometime, you may spend more time to make it work than making music...
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...2&postcount=24

Music shops must love you
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Music shops must love you

Perhaps, but I return as much as I buy. :-).

Now, you need to give me some credit. I missed about 20 years worth of gear advancements when I was out of music.

I had to acquire and divest 20 years worth of missed gear in only a few years. By many standards, I'm quite efficient.

Plus, I was unaware that you're always right when you made the previous post. Of course, I'm fully compliant now. :-)

Remind me which mixer I should buy, when I actually need one, that has 4 XLRs and won't drive me freaking crazy?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Remind me which mixer I should buy, when I actually need one, that has 4 XLRs and won't drive me freaking crazy?
If I "remember" well SpruceTop told to go for the A&H ZED10FX... I might be wrong.... But SpruceTop is usually right
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
If I "remember" well SpruceTop told to go for the A&H ZED10FX... I might be wrong.... But SpruceTop is usually right
Yup, the two of you are usually correct! After I made my post, I checked back and found it was the A&H 10. Funny!

He also recommended the Line 6 L2t (excellent unit), the Trance Amulet, the Taylor ES2, and Fishman Aura Plus systems. He's been right every time. (Ken, after reading this, does your head still fit through the door.) :-)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I'll be honest, it's just a matter of engaging the mic pad and turning down the pot. It's not that big a deal. I hope they fixed it in the new release.

For solo work, I've concluded that the XR12 digital mixer with iPad control is simply too cumbersome. It sounds really great, but connecting via Wifi with an iPad is a pain. If it was an always on Bluetooth connection, it might be a tad easier.

It's not engaging a mic pad, it's choosing the hotter mic level. :-) . How far down do you turn the pot? 3 o'clock? noon is too high in my experience. I'd be shocked if they fixed it, but I won't buy another so it doesn't matter to me.

While I love digital mixers when I'm playing with a band and there's a sound guy (so I can do my own monitor mix), I generally hate them if a musician has to run it. It's so easy to have a small mixer and reach down for a knob or move a slider and to easily see what's overdriving etc.... But anything goes off on the digital mixer and a musician has to deal with it, it's a much more involved and time consuming process. In one of my duos, the other guy insists on using his very expensive QSC Touchmix. I think it's a nightmare. If I want to send him an XLR for my guitar line one week and a 1/4" the next, it's a cluster. I think he has the gain staging all messed up at times, even though he saves the scene, and he blames me rather than the mixer even if I haven't changed a thing. I think they're overkill for many situations and a huge hinderance to the show.

My little Mackie has 4 xlrs and some 1/4" inputs. It's sufficient for most things.. I only take the 12 channel (still small) Mackie because of the digital effects so my singer can have some reverb. I run my guitar and vocal through a TC Play Electric.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
It's not engaging a mic pad, it's choosing the hotter mic level. :-) . How far down do you turn the pot? 3 o'clock? noon is too high in my experience. I'd be shocked if they fixed it, but I won't buy another so it doesn't matter to me.

While I love digital mixers when I'm playing with a band and there's a sound guy (so I can do my own monitor mix), I generally hate them if a musician has to run it. It's so easy to have a small mixer and reach down for a knob or move a slider and to easily see what's overdriving etc.... But anything goes off on the digital mixer and a musician has to deal with it, it's a much more involved and time consuming process. In one of my duos, the other guy insists on using his very expensive QSC Touchmix. I think it's a nightmare. If I want to send him an XLR for my guitar line one week and a 1/4" the next, it's a cluster. I think he has the gain staging all messed up at times, even though he saves the scene, and he blames me rather than the mixer even if I haven't changed a thing. I think they're overkill for many situations and a huge hinderance to the show.

My little Mackie has 4 xlrs and some 1/4" inputs. It's sufficient for most things.. I only take the 12 channel (still small) Mackie because of the digital effects so my singer can have some reverb. I run my guitar and vocal through a TC Play Electric.
Well now... it seems the David's are in agreement! All is right with the world.
The rest of AGF may carry on now. :-)

Also, my goof. I should have said "dis-engage" the pad. I turn the dial to about 9 or 10 O'clock. I think noon is too high and probably over driving.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Well now... it seems the David's are in agreement! All is right with the world.
The rest of AGF may carry on now. :-)

Also, my goof. I should have said "dis-engage" the pad. I turn the dial to about 9 or 10 O'clock. I think noon is too high and probably over driving.
Let's see if I hear from the guy at JBL Professional today. I should give you all his direct number and we can pile on until we get a satisfactory answer and solution. ;-) . Actually, not a bad idea.

Everett at 818-895-3480
Old 04-28-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Let's see if I hear from the guy at JBL Professional today. I should give you all his direct number and we can pile on until we get a satisfactory answer and solution. ;-) . Actually, not a bad idea.

Everett at 818-895-3480

I presume you did not get a call. :-)

Old 04-29-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I presume you did not get a call. :-)

I did not.

I experimented a little more today and hooked up the tiny Yamaha mixer. With the mic input adjusted properly, the channel volume at unity and the output at unity, I could get some ok volume from the JBL running at line level. Not what I'd need for all my gigs, but at least it didn't fart out and distort.

Then I set up the larger Mackie mixer side by side and ran into channel 2 at line level. I did have to goose the input gain on the mic a little but I got the same volume. It will do as a monitor and to fill some sound tonight. I'll add a powered speaker (EV or Alto) to get any additional volume I need.

Played with a friend last night through his Bose L1M2. I think I'm going to have to start carting mine around again.

I received my xlr to 1/4" adapters today and dangit they're TS 1/4", not TRS. I got confused since I was ordering some stereo cables at the same time. Looking at the manual, its says that channels 1 and 2 are mono so the 1/4" shouldn't be trs anyway and channels 3 and 4 are supposed to be a stereo pair, so I would assume they're not trs either. Anyone know for sure?

If I use these adapters to run from the XLR out of the mixer to inputs 1, 2, 3 or 4 at line level, will that get me any more volume out of the JBL I'm already packed up for tonight's gig so I can't experiment before I go.

Last edited by DavidE; 04-29-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification