The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 02:42 AM

Have you thought about getting a nice little parlour? There have been quite a few posts here lately about the Alvarez and Ibanez models that owners are very pleased with. They would sound a lot better than the Martin travel guitar. I see lots of them for sale and likely it's because people are not happy with their sound.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:46 AM
Charter Member

I have a Martin LXK in my office. I think that would fit your needs pretty well.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opencee View Post
That didn’t stop me from getting my own. I’m glad I did. It’s just fun... Does it sound like a good guitar? No, but it plays and sounds good enough for how I use it.
That describes my situation perfectly. I had one at a time when the nature of my job had become almost intolerable. And my Backpacker became a joy and my respite from a miserable situation. I did eventually order a Go Guitar made by Sam Radding that was even more suitable. The Backpacker has no truss rod, so its neck is much too thick for me. But it was a lifesaver... provided me 15 frets to travel with and enjoy in the privacy of my hotel room.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:04 AM

I just bought a little Yamaha APX T2 - it fits in an ovehead locker in its bag (less than 142cm over the 3 dimensions) and has about a 23" scale with 1 11/16" nut, and cutaway. It has a pickup inside.
It has tiny body and sounds pretty minimal but if compact with a arguably acceptable fingerboard is all you need it my be what you want. Cheap too.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:30 AM

As others have said the backpacker is what it is. You can pick up a used one for $100 and you will have something to play. Also for $100 (used) you can pick up a Luna Safari. In my opinion that is the best $100 you'll ever spend. A 3/4 size like the Little Martin or the Baby Taylor. Between wife and I we have one of each. (I'm a Martin person and she a Taylor) The only Baby Taylor we have ever heard that sounded o.k. is the Baby Taylor LTD Koa. The only really good sounding Little Martin we ever heard was the Sheeran with mahogany top. We have never heard a bad sounding Luna Safari and we have played lots of them. You can pick up a used one between $80 and $100 and new between $150 - $180 and a new solid top one for $200 (Safari Supreme) Just be advised that all Luna Safari's have nothing more than a clothe bag except for the Safari Supreme which has a padded one similar to the Martin and Taylor.

Tim
Old 04-13-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
As others have said the backpacker is what it is. You can pick up a used one for $100 and you will have something to play. Also for $100 (used) you can pick up a Luna Safari. In my opinion that is the best $100 you'll ever spend. A 3/4 size like the Little Martin or the Baby Taylor. Between wife and I we have one of each. (I'm a Martin person and she a Taylor) The only Baby Taylor we have ever heard that sounded o.k. is the Baby Taylor LTD Koa. The only really good sounding Little Martin we ever heard was the Sheeran with mahogany top. We have never heard a bad sounding Luna Safari and we have played lots of them. You can pick up a used one between $80 and $100 and new between $150 - $180 and a new solid top one for $200 (Safari Supreme) Just be advised that all Luna Safari's have nothing more than a clothe bag except for the Safari Supreme which has a padded one similar to the Martin and Taylor.

Tim
I have never given Luna guitars a second look but that is a very good suggestion. Here is a couple links for your perusal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LUNA-GUITAR...EAAOSwBwBanbw-

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...afari&index=11

If you wanted something with a little wider neck, the Alvarez AP60 is 1 3/4".
Old 04-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Go for a Voyage-Air guitar. I travel with my VAD-04 and never have any problems with airlines as it comes with a backpack that fits in the overhead bin. It’s a full sized guitar in a foldable design.
Voyage Air all the way !!!

Lee
Old 04-13-2018, 07:00 AM

I had one and hated it. Still, I'll try to be objective.

You get 6 strings and a fretboard in your hand, and sounds come out when you strum/pluck it. It's better than not having a guitar at all, and it's probably the most portable solution out there.

The sounds that come out are what they are. It's not going to sound anything like a full sized guitar.

The lack of bouts (particularly the lower) means that you pretty much have to use the strap to be able to hold it to play. I couldn't find a way to rest it on my leg. If you "anchor" your arm on the lower bout with a regular guitar, you've got a learning curve to overcome since you can't do that with the Backpacker.

You would be well served playing one first, or buying from a place with a generous return policy.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:14 AM

I had a Backpacker for a short time. It was awful.

I would recommend literally anything else.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-14-2018 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Bashing.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 AM

I traded my Martin Backpacker for a used Traveler acoustic guitar.It has a very unique design without a headstock like the Steinberger guitars.This allows the guitar to be very compact but with a full scale neck and nut width.It has a solid spruce top with Sapele lamented sides and back.It is a little fuller sounding then the baby Taylor or Martin.It was only $150 used/$70 with the Backpacker trade in.It also came with a nicely padded gig-bag
Old 04-13-2018, 07:46 AM

Another voice for STAY AWAY FROM THE BACKPACKER....

On another note, make sure your Cruise line will allow you to bring a guitar on board. Many don't.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-14-2018 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Bashing.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:48 AM

I fly with my taylor GS Mini all the time. Fits well in the overhead. Maybe a used one will fall within your $300 budget?
Old 04-13-2018, 07:53 AM

I went with the washburn rover for my travel needs, and am quite happy with it... after lowering the saddle and taking out some relief it plays quite well. Sure it's light on bass, but that's just the price you pay for portability. On road trips, I plan it in the front (passenger :-) seat of the car- that's pretty hard to do with anything bigger bodied. One of my criteria was that the travel guitar mustn't cost so much that I worry about leaving it unattended in a hotel room or in a tent. The rover goes on sale from time to time, I think I paid $135 with rigid case.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebick View Post
Another voice for STAY AWAY FROM THE BACKPACKER....

On another note, make sure your Cruise line will allow you to bring a guitar on board. Many don't.
So that seems to confirm why I see so many used ones for sale. It always seemed more of a toy to me.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-14-2018 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Unfortunately I used to have a Backpacker.
Couldn't sell it fast enough.

Yuck!

Get a Baby Taylor.
It actually sounds/plays/feels like a guitar.

Better yet, get the Big Baby Taylor.
It actually sounds/plays/feels like a good guitar, probably in-part because it has a full scale of 25.5".
Agreed. The BBT is the best travel guitar out there. I used to take a Washburn Rover on kayak trips because I could fit it into a long drybag, but the only thing worse than the Rover is the Martin Backpacker.

I keep a BBT on my sailboat. It's a joy to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion