The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 PM

Default Takamine EG522SC or Cordoba GK Studio?

Hi all,

My first post here. I just landed a gig in which I'm required to play some flamenco-esque rhythm and lead parts. For the first rehearsals I've loaned someone's Yamaha nylon-string el-ac ( I think it was an APX of some sort) and the results were kind of ok.

Now I've got to get a good electric-acoustic nylon string for myself. I've been looking so far at:
Prudencio Saez modelo 57
Yamaha CGX101A
Yamaha CGX171CCA
Yamaha NTX700
Takamine EG522SC
Cordoba GK studio

You can see that my budget for now is limited (gotta have a new car, new Macbook Pro etc).

The Prudencio Saez wasn't in store at the shop.
The Yamaha's I'd have to mail-order (not my favorite thing for guitars) and I've read some so-so reviews about the CGX171CCA.
The Takamine I've just tried out today and sounded and felt pretty good despite some minor flaws in the fretwork (sharp edges)
The Cordoba GK Studio I keep hearing rave reviews about but the only Cordoba that's available here in the Netherlands seems to be the Fusion 14.

I need a good acoustic sound for studio work and also a good live sound. The doesn't specifically have to be a flamenco model but I do need some crisp attack but also a little warmth in it.

Like I said the Tak didn't dissappoint but I would like to hear from the more experienced people how it compares to the GK studio or the NTX700.

Of course, I'm open for other options but this is what I've found so far.

Last edited by elektrik7; 01-29-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:04 AM

Hey, no one who can compare the GK studio to the Takamine or YamahaNTX700?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 PM

Sorry. I have no experience with the yamaha but the Cordoba GK Studio is a great guitar.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:31 PM

I played the NTX-700 for two hours a few weeks ago. Nice playability, sounds good plugged in, but pretty lifeless as an acoustic. I have played 5 different GK Studio's... 4 of them really surprised me, great guitars, one was not so great but I think it has lousy strings. I would not hesitate to go with a GK if that was my budget limit.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 AM

Thanks guys! The GK Studio it will be! Only problem now is that the main dealer for Netherlands and Belgium is out of stock because of the huge popularity of the Cordoba. Have to wait for at least a month.
In the meantime I'll just sharpen my flamenco skills on steelstring acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical